EWR757
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrt the rain he means now. Split Flow incoming. Or something

Yeah perhaps. I agree with that.

What is bothering me is how or if models are right with the AK ridge retrogression. So far for the last week I've had my eye on this and my thoughts based on some MJO stuff have been right...I just don't know if I am correct for the right or wrong reasons. LOL. Basically the models seem to want to all of the sudden lose the forcing from all the WPAC convection...and it just is not happening.  It may at some point, but it's interesting to me. This has been a bias all season except for about 5 days..lol.

DT mentions rains finally will be hitting Cali as a sign of a big change upcoming.

Thoughts?

That's what I've been thinking...I mean 5" at Squaw Valley in Tahoe since mid-December, them just getting precipitation should constitute a pattern change haha.

What it should do though is instead of just cold and dry, the troughs trying to move through out west to bring precip to Cali, will cause the battle ground to shift a bit more north than it was previously when Philly was getting bombed. We obviously have the cold around and nearby, so let's get the storms moving. I would assume the Cali precip also signifies a more robust southern jet, which would be a change to some degree rather than northern stream dominated.

Yeah perhaps. I agree with that.

What is bothering me is how or if models are right with the AK ridge retrogression. So far for the last week I've had my eye on this and my thoughts based on some MJO stuff have been right...I just don't know if I am correct for the right or wrong reasons. LOL. Basically the models seem to want to all of the sudden lose the forcing from all the WPAC convection...and it just is not happening. It may at some point, but it's interesting to me. This has been a bias all season except for about 5 days..lol.

So sensibly speaking, what are the downstream impacts if the models are wrong with the AK ridge retrogression? A colder look in the east?

Speaking AK ridge, impressive warm records being set in Alaska, which I'm sure will be blamed on global warming.

So sensibly speaking, what are the downstream impacts if the models are wrong with the AK ridge retrogression? A colder look in the east?

Speaking AK ridge, impressive warm records being set in Alaska, which I'm sure will be blamed on global warming.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well if you retro the ridge, you flip the EPO and introduce more zonal flow potentially. There is some agreement for that near mid month...but I can't argue with persistence. I just don't see a reason to disagree much with the current pattern we are in and even if this did shift west....it may only be temporary.

And doesn't April average more snow than November at like ORH or something like that? I sort of remember a discussion to that effect this fall when Will was countering Hype's claims of November being a deep winter month.

I don't have the ORH data in front of me but it's pretty close for me.  My long term Nov average is 3.0" and Apr is 2.5".  Oct averages more than May at 0.6", lol.

Well aside from that aren't temps colder in April than November?

No, November is colder overall, but the first 10 days of April is colder than the first 10 days of November at ORH...like around when Rev has been in spring mode for weeks...and conversely thinks early November is deep winter.

April is a summer month,October is late fall, November is deep winter. Remember the bizarro comics?

We're at the bottom of winter. As we climb out, hopefully the big snows come. But I suspect winters not leaving for more than a day or 3 anytime soon. The downside for us new englanders is the typical springs we endure especially near the coast. In late march of 2004 I had business in Honolulu. That was nice! I was there for 2 days, back to Boston for 1 night, over to Chicago for a week, over to South Africa for a week after about a 1 week break. Then over to San Antonio 5 days after returning. Intense period but by the time it settled do it was practically summer...lol. Ironically I'm going to Chicago 3/20-23, then overseas 4/5-19. By the time it settles down, hopefully a lot of the awful spring marine crap will be muted.

Well if you retro the ridge, you flip the EPO and introduce more zonal flow potentially. There is some agreement for that near mid month...but I can't argue with persistence. I just don't see a reason to disagree much with the current pattern we are in and even if this did shift west....it may only be temporary.

Makes sense, thanks. And yeah, I'm a big fa of persistence forecasting...to the point of why deviate from the seasonal pattern until it smacks you in the face.

I am having fun too...but I honestly don't understand the frustration some have. That's the truth. I know you haven't looked at a model...but you should look ahead. I've liked this period coming up for a long time. Deep down I think this is N of I-90 favored...but this should be a fun time as a whole.

Although it's been easy to b*tch about Jan in the deep interior I'm still ahead of my average to date. Then, thanks to a great December and epic CAD muting torches in the upper Pioneer Valley it's been constant snow cover since Dec.1st.

So honestly winter has never left the lower elevations of NW MA and it seems like latitude friendly winter fun is in the cards the next few weeks.

Although it's been easy to b*tch about Jan in the deep interior I'm still ahead of my average to date. Then, thanks to a great December and epic CAD muting torches in the upper Pioneer Valley it's been constant snow cover since Dec.1st.

So honestly winter has never left the lower elevations of NW MA and it seems like latitude friendly winter fun is in the cards the next few weeks.

You guys are a good weenie spot. Those low elevations really stay refrigerated.

Archived