Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear some still like to use 2m temps in determining ratios too. I remember that big event a couple Febs ago where we had elevated convection and OCMs were spitting out like 10-20" when upper levels were relatively cooked for good ratios. I think it ended up as a PF special and he had TSSN while I finished with TSPL.

Even the ones who know better use it as sort of a "cop out", or means over (over)simplification for the general public....even Harvey Leonard does it.

I just shake my head because I know damn well that he knows better...

The 2/5 threat involves energy ejecting out of the deep SW...an area where most models consistently have a miserable time.  Will be a moving target but luckily there are so many s/w's firing along from the north one will eventually hook up with it...but details are obviously subject to pretty large change despite ensemble support.

Was just referring to the general location for one in an SWFE. Wow, GFS ENS are so much colder though for both 5th and 10th Feb.

(Just signed back up for my amwx model subscription)

Well that is if it becomes more of a SWFE. Next week may have that look....but the one behind it may not be...who knows this far out. I would favor something similar to a SWFE..but if phasing or blocking shifts then it could be a cstl.

Tweet from Ryan Maue says Euro ensembles less bullish on the cold longer turn-keeps it mainly in Canada.

It's been doing that since November...hence my earlier posts about the BS retrogression some models have been showing. Blocking sometimes retros to a point so that is no surprise...but the bias ALL season has been to retrograde it. They'll probably be some, but the amount of it is questionable.

It's been doing that since November...hence my earlier posts about the BS retrogression some models have been showing. Blocking sometimes retros to a point so that is no surprise...but the bias ALL season has been to retrograde it. They'll probably be some, but the amount of it is questionable.

Agree- the Euro has struggled with the pattern longer term all winter, that's for sure.

I actually think some of these storms may be cold too. It's a little too early to start throwing out jackpots.

Was just referring to the general location for one in an SWFE. Wow, GFS ENS are so much colder though for both 5th and 10th Feb.

(Just signed back up for my amwx model subscription)

I want the pattern advertised. Welcoming it actually.

18z GFS continues with juicy southern stream system with SWFE appeal...not much else to say. We'll beat this storm like a dead horse by the time it comes. Ever accurate 18z DGEX NAM extension takes the system up over Watertown in a classic over-amped bomb scenario. Not long until we see one of those solutions out of the GGEM I'm sure.

Wish this was closer in so the model runs would mean something.

I miss those big thumps...always fun even with taint.

18z GFS continues that big thump (especially I-90 area and north into SNH) idea. You would get a pretty exciting 6 hours or so before any risk of change. I love those two...just like 0.5-0.75" QPF in 4-6 hours with 0.2"/hr bucket rates at times. Those are always exciting and have some good staying power.

Archived