northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an on island for the past 36 hours regarding the 2/1 system...that's usually not a good place for the GFS to be and have success. Despite it scoring a coop earlier this month.

But nothing surprising here. That system is a waste...and low upside anyway.

Oh for sure...but you can see the classic bias at play from years ago. Hopefully an inch or two before hand..but I agree...not really an upside to this one.

Snow data is very unreliable and missing a lot

There are gaps for sure, but I don't think it's so bad as to be completely unrepresentative especially when you look at spatial consistency and clustering. For example, around here NYC/LGA/JFK/BDR/Stamford co-op are all within 8 inches of each other with a south to north gradient as you'd expect. Sure there are missing and bad data points, but it doesn't completely destroy the usefulness of the average. From a straight averaging standpoint you really need lots of missing data that coincides with big events or large chunks of the season just outright missing to move the needle significantly over 30 years. It's tough to argue over a few inches of normal snowfall since spatial variability in snowfall is pretty high, and that variability may be within the error of snow climatology at many stations. Also of note is this last round of normals had the most aggressive methods for accounting for bad or missing data or short histories (<30 years).

Steve all respect due... but are we reading the same stuff? The good is harder to find than the bad a lot of the time. Always a cloud of confusion above the discussion. I know other posters have mentioned it today. When I first joined I don't think it was like that. I'll be clear you are a fine poster, no probs at all or anything.rather than post unreadable la di da, why not add to the discussion and ignore the rest? When Jerry posted that I was baffled really. Was some good discussion. I am not discounting the GFS entirely, maybe some net gains for interior folks.

Steve, My life is too demanding for me to wade through so much banter in a non banter thread. I'm on the verge of packing it in.... More trouble than it's worth. Why does it bother you that many have this opinion ?

Steve, My life is too demanding for me to wade through so much banter in a non banter thread. I'm on the verge of packing it in.... More trouble than it's worth. Why does it bother you that many have this opinion ?

maybe we need 2 things here.  Start a "I got screwed/complaint thread"   Post all whining, bitching/moaning/backyard stuff there to your hearts content....mods need to move or delete any such stuff out of this thread.  Agree 100% with Jerry-don't want to have to come to this thread and hunt for what I'm looking for which lately is 1 good post out of 10 posts in the discussion thread.

Even before that it's setting up a screaming southeaster.  This is the danger in a pattern with no blocking.  

I'll enjoy my snow tonight into Wednesday whatever it may be and not worry too much about next week.  Post Lego Movie I think is the prime time.

The more amped, The worse it could be, Its a fine line that will be walked with this one, Just want to be on the NW side of it

The spread on the GEFS is like 700 miles.

Its easy to forget that this system is about 180 hours out. We are not anywhere near a range where modeling becomes reliable. All we can say is that the pattern is very favorable for a large storm system to move out of the southern states.

The spread on the GEFS is like 700 miles.

Its easy to forget that this system is about 180 hours out. We are not anywhere near a range where modeling becomes reliable. All we can say is that the pattern is very favorable for a large storm system to move out of the southern states.

And that is pretty much certain at this point, Details to be determined later

Snow data is very unreliable and missing a lot

You can usually fill in the gaps and I mean you gotta work with what you have.

In a perfect world every town would have 150 years of data but unfortunately, we gotta use what we have. You can speculate pretty well based on a variety of factors at any one location.

Archived