gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is a snow storm for you Mike, remember that not everyone lives in EMA.

The track and temp profile look funky to me.

Yeah don't go by mpm's posts. To hear him you'd think he resided in far SE ct.

I grew up in New London.  I'm scarred for life.

I might be in the minority but I'd much rather have a bunch of 1-3 inch events with no warm rainers than 1 big storm. This will be the 4 th or 5th time this winter where we've wiped out snow cover up to NH border . I don't ever recall another winter quite like that. Hopefully next week works out and the final 28 days left of winter are good in Feb

I'd have to agree.  The bare ground was just pathetic and the few inches of coverage we've had the last couple of weeks is more eye candy than substance.

OT--my co-worker reported -24 out in Iowa this morning. Brrrrrr.

8.1/-9

As for getting back to real metoeorlogy...here is how I envision the next 10 days or so going:

Jan 28-Jan 31: Below avg temps...dry except the scraper potentially for the Cape and far SE zones.

Feb 1: Sneaky torch with the weak low passing to our NW. I wouldn't be shocked if it started as some sleet or snow north of the pike or something before going to rain. Doesn't look all that juicey.

Feb 2: Transition back to colder temps..but it could be an "in-between" day

Feb 3-6: Multiple storm threats. Big CAD look. Could be all snow or it could be snow to a messy icy mixed bag of sleet/ZR and rain for SE coastal areas...since CAD looks strong, it would probably not be quick transitional ice, but rather prolonged if the storm tried to track further NW. It is unclear whether we get one major threat in this period or perhaps another smaller one preceding the larger one ala the Euro and ensmebles.

Best post in this thread.  Actual pattern discusssion!   Thank you. 

I bit over 40.

HVN is actually low 30s.

HVN is that low?  I would have put them right around 40 and few inches less for GON (probably the worst location in SNE).  Back in the 80s CEF was around 50", BDL was around 48" and HFD was around 46".  I think those numbers dropped after the 80's winters were mixed in so I have no idea what they would be today.

I can't complain - I'm at 36" for the season so if I only have average snowfall, I might wind up with an above normal year.

Well, It does look better for our region heading into Feb, I will take my chances with at least having some systems around that we see snow, They certainly have been far and few over the last couple weeks so the increase in activity is more encouraging

Looks great going forward for your 07_08 fetish

HVN is that low?  I would have put them right around 40 and few inches less for GON (probably the worst location in SNE).  Back in the 80s CEF was around 50", BDL was around 48" and HFD was around 46".  I think those numbers dropped after the 80's winters were mixed in so I have no idea what they would be today.

I can't complain - I'm at 36" for the season so if I only have average snowfall, I might wind up with an above normal year.

BDR about 20 miles west of HVN is 28 so low 30's seems right for HVN

will you just stop, why do people post this? I mean there was good conversation going on, always get a couple of bad posts, I didn't see what was so bad, what did I miss?

Steve all respect due... but are we reading the same stuff? The good is harder to find than the bad a lot of the time. Always a cloud of confusion above the discussion. I know other posters have mentioned it today. When I first joined I don't think it was like that. I'll be clear you are a fine poster, no probs at all or anything.

Steve all respect due... but are we reading the same stuff? The good is harder to find than the bad a lot of the time. Always a cloud of confusion above the discussion. I know other posters have mentioned it today. When I first joined I don't think it was like that. I'll be clear you are a fine poster, no probs at all or anything.

rather than post unreadable la di da, why not add to the discussion and ignore the rest? When Jerry posted that I was baffled really. Was some good discussion. I am not discounting the GFS entirely, maybe some net gains for interior folks.

GON's normal is around 25. BDR is around 28 and the Stamford co-op in back country is 31 (these are within +/- an inch or two don't have the exact normals in front of me) where taint is a lot less likely than the SE corner and there's some slight elevation compared to stations right on the water. I've got records from Old Lyme going back about a decade and the average comes out to just shy of 33 inches, but that's well above normal for sure given the last decade has been pretty solid except for the couple of clunkers mixed in.

BDR about 20 miles west of HVN is 28 so low 30's seems right for HVN

GON's normal is around 25. BDR is around 28 and the Stamford co-op in back country is 31 (these are within +/- an inch or two don't have the exact normals in front of me) where taint is a lot less likely than the SE corner and there's some slight elevation compared to stations right on the water. I've got records from Old Lyme going back about a decade and the average comes out to just shy of 33 inches, but that's well above normal for sure given the last decade has been pretty solid except for the couple of clunkers mixed in.

I guess I never really gave it too much thought.  I would have never thought the numbers were that low along the coast.  My focus was always central/northern NE.  There is a tight gradient between GON and myself.  My average is about 59" and I know it drops off south of me in Coventry and Storrs. 

Are there any numbers for IJD?  I've always thought that place was a snow hole compared to surrounding areas.

Yeah I'd put HVN around 31-35"...depending on where you measure in that area. Just north off the merritt it can be a little higher but certainly closer to 30" further south right near the beach. The old Tweed airport measured from 1949-1977 and had a mean around 34". Though that encompassed one of our better 15-20 year stretches...only the early 50s were putrid and a few years in the mid 70s. They missed the 1979-1992 horror show.

Man another 3-6 for Chitown coming up. Makes our winter look like peanuts. That's true winter there. Propane and grain shortages. Respect the -EPO.

If the pattern holds like the weeklies and ensembles think it might, then some of those areas may have their coldest winter since 1978-1979....'81-'82 was really cold though too and of course '93-'94 there. But they could definitely beat those years.

-PNA = GFS sucking again. Bowing to the euro.

It was an on island for the past 36 hours regarding the 2/1 system...that's usually not a good place for the GFS to be and have success. Despite it scoring a coop earlier this month.

But nothing surprising here. That system is a waste...and low upside anyway.

It was an on island for the past 36 hours regarding the 2/1 system...that's usually not a good place for the GFS to be and have success. Despite it scoring a coop earlier this month.

But nothing surprising here. That system is a waste...and low upside anyway.

how much qpf with it anyway?  .25?

Archived