joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21st Snowstorm OBS

snow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8p wunder (their fronts lag just like everyone's)

post-1615-0-89371000-1390266324_thumb.jp

I think we'll have some Feb 10 2010 type of moments with this one.  Jan 30 was cold but relatively peaceful as far as storms go.  The wind combo here especially as it winds down is going to be fun for a few hours.  40 mph gusts into the DC area or so. 

8p wunder

I think we'll have some Feb 10 2010 type of moments with this one.  Jan 30 was cold but relatively peaceful as far as storms go.  The wind combo here especially as it winds down is going to be fun for a few hours.  40 mph gusts into the DC area or so. 

ITT - Ian bullish for near blizzard conditions for a time. 

ITT - Ian bullish for near blizzard conditions for a time. 

That storm was insane at 500mb so I think there's a more limited real blizzard threat largely confined to the coastal areas but with an ideal setup, a developing low and a big clash of sfc air masses.. fun stuff hangs out in there. 

Think odds are better something of a 1'+ stripe shows up but we may have peaked on upward QPF.

That storm was insane at 500mb so I think there's a more limited real blizzard threat largely confined to the coastal areas but with an ideal setup, a developing low and a big clash of sfc air masses.. fun stuff hangs out in there. 

Think odds are better something of a 1'+ stripe shows up but we may have peaked on upward QPF.

Have to assume this is the case with a ns system like this. Can't imagine seeing models continue to increase the QPF much more if at all. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see a super insignificant adjustment downward that will send weenies to the ledge (but in reality won't make much difference in end result). 

Have to assume this is the case with a ns system like this. Can't imagine seeing models continue to increase the QPF much more if at all. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see a super insignificant adjustment downward that will send weenies to the ledge (but in reality won't make much difference in end result). 

In a good year this is a good storm I think. In recent years this is almost like winning the lottery. No precip type worries, big snow potential, daylight enjoyment, all in the front half of peak climo.. threatening to look like we can still do winter.  My article about DCA snow may need some heavy re-work hah.

This upcoming snowstorm will establish the cryosphere directly over the mid atlantic, setting up high albedo, high surface reflectivity which will force the forecasters at the NWS to go well below guidance with both daily maxima and minima temps all week long. More possible snow looms on Monday/Tuesday next week as the cold settles over the eastern CONUS.

Archived