joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21st Snowstorm OBS

snow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hitting 32 is going to be sweet. I can't wait. I'm diggin you dc guys not sweating temps this go around. Long time coming

43/28

Definitely. All my focus is on how we're going to bust on precip now. ;)

Definitely. All my focus is on how we're going to bust on precip now. ;)

When the streets whiten after 15 minutes of decent rates your gonna feel like someone slipped something in your crunchberries

I almost felt like 4+ was a lock last night but I was positive when I woke up and scanned 6z stuff. Not sure what you would consider a bust but imo .35 @ 12:1 is prob worst case for both of us. And I'm totally good with that

Ill add to that looking at the route of your aircraft it is going to be at IAD tonight then to MDT-IAD-PHL-IAD-PHL-IAD-STL.

Leaving PHL at 156pm even if it gets to PHL from IAD tomorrow early afternoon I dont think it even makes it back to IAD at 255pm. It is going to be local all day long tomorrow and those short routes are the first to get canceled

I just hope they cancel it early enough so that I don't have to go sit in an airport all afternoonuntil they finally cancel it two hours after schedule take off

When the streets whiten after 15 minutes of decent rates your gonna feel like someone slipped something in your crunchberries

I almost felt like 4+ was a lock last night but I was positive when I woke up and scanned 6z stuff. Not sure what you would consider a bust but imo .35 @ 12:1 is prob worst case for both of us. And I'm totally good with that

Yeah.. for some reason this one has just seemed right to me for a while.  After skipping class for the last vort session I did some extra homework. :P 

But I'm still gonna worry till we have about 2" and radar still looks good.

I just hope they cancel it early enough so that I don't have to go sit in an airport all afternoonuntil they finally cancel it two hours after schedule take off

Ill keep an eye on it tonight and if I see it cnxcld Ill let you know too. Im sure they will cancel it before you leave for IAD tomorrow.

I got out to LAS this morning.  I miss the best events usually, another sign we are on the precipice of an overperformer. 

LOL Thanks for leaving us to another over performer then. Have a great time out there

Yeah, the 3 degree last hour is much better....30 or 31 is a reasonable temp for DCA to fall to by 6 am. I think the 20's would be hard given that they're still like 7 degrees above modeled. 

HRRR gets to like 34 at midnight but it's already 5 off. I think somewhere around 40 is reasonable. However we're also going to be bringing dews down to the teens as we get toward pre dawn. Even if DCA started above freezing it would probably quickly drop below.  Temps aren't a concern even there really.

I do think roads at least around here will struggle until we get rates.. but if we get the snow in early maybe not.

Yeah.. for some reason this one has just seemed right to me for a while. After skipping class for the last vort session I did some extra homework. :P

But I'm still gonna worry till we have about 2" and radar still looks good.

I'm sticking a bookmark in the vortbook for this one. It's going to be useful to refer back to sometime before 2022.

I kept looping h5/h7 since Fri night and the rounding the base and turning kept looking sweet but I'm not confident enough to say surface is totally out of whack. Maybe next time.

Yeah, the 3 degree last hour is much better....30 or 31 is a reasonable temp for DCA to fall to by 6 am. I think the 20's would be hard given that they're still like 7 degrees above modeled.

It will be a quick little freefall during the first couple hours of decent rates. And another quick freefall once the low hits stride and makes its way up. Gonna be so awesome to track.

42.4/28

HRRR gets to like 34 at midnight but it's already 5 off. I think somewhere around 40 is reasonable. However we're also going to be bringing dews down to the teens as we get toward pre dawn. Even if DCA started above freezing it would probably quickly drop below.  Temps aren't a concern even there really.

I do think roads at least around here will struggle until we get rates.. but if we get the snow in early maybe not.

On the thought of the HRRR, I never knew sounding profiles were available! http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/soundings/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_jet&domain=skewt&run_time=20+Jan+2014+-+16Z

My PWS went from 38.6 at 6:35 to 44.3 at 6:55. Anyone else have a similar strange jump?

This happens sometimes on day's like this, with a strong mixing boundary. A met student a long time ago told me this effect was from a combination of urban heat island effects and the boundary layer collapsing. Essentially (if I remember correctly, don't hold me to this) an inversion forms above the pocket of slightly warmer air after sunset, (the sounding would look like a mirrored "Z") the winds start to die because of the inversion above, the "warmer" air pocket falls (due to the colder (denser) air above it) and hits the ground causing a secondary jump.

Edit: I've recorded this numerous times on my station since I am often downwind of DC/Balt.

This happens sometimes on day's like this, with a strong mixing boundary. A met student a long time ago told me this effect was from a combination of urban heat island effects and the boundary layer collapsing. Essentially (if I remember correctly, don't hold me to this) an inversion forms above the pocket of slightly warmer air after sunset, (the sounding would look like a mirrored "Z") the winds start to die because of the inversion above, the "warmer" air pocket falls (due to the colder (denser) air above it) and hits the ground causing a secondary jump.

Edit: I've recorded this numerous times on my station since I am often downwind of DC/Balt.

Good to know, thanks.

Archived