CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 21st Snowstorm OBS

snow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to say this one unhelpful weenie thing as catharthis so I can stop thinking it: onset temp of 35 with precipitation falling in the middle of the day onto warm ground....disaster potential isn't nill.

Well start rethinking it. It's snow falling from cold upper levels with even more cold pushing in and it's late January. The only disaster would come from no precip and I see no way that's happening.

I wouldn't say moot - especially closer to DC but it is perhaps not going to be as big of a problem as some of the bigger doom and gloom folks would have you think. 

Agreed.  Not moot, but not nearly the doom and gloom we've been hearing, especially out where he is.   DCA will probably lose some to melting, but I mean...it's DCA.

How these things tend to play out

West: Don't worry guys! Snowing hard and 30 degrees, you guys will be fine even though our climo is better and you have an urban heat island!

East: I feel like you've said this before....

West: nah man, this one is yours, enjoy.

With that in mind I am hopeful they are right, just a repeating pattern.

Agreed.  Not moot, but not nearly the doom and gloom we've been hearing, especially out where he is.   DCA will probably lose some to melting, but I mean...it's DCA.

Yeah - I think folks in MoCo and such like Bob Chill and I are probably still fine for the most part. DCA will always come up short so I don't know if anybody was expecting otherwise. Inside the beltway I suppose might have some melting issues to start but I have a hard time believing that it's just hours and hours of white rain. 

The surface temp issue to me only really interesting because its 7 and we are still several degrees north of freezing. The models last night were saying 30 by 1 AM close to the city, and that hasn't materialized. Fits the north trend.

Don't agree. It fits the "there was warmth and it took a little time to dissipate."

No it's moot. You guys can come back in a few hours and tell me I was right.

But its not though.  Especially here.   Look, we're mostly on your side here...it's nowhere near the doom and gloom and panic we saw here...we'll be fine in the end.  This isn't noquester or some marginal stale March airmass, people need to get a grip.  

The surface temp issue to me only really interesting because its 7 and we are still several degrees north of freezing. The models last night were saying 30 by 1 AM close to the city, and that hasn't materialized. Fits the north trend.

Stop with the north trend BS. Take a look, the NWS has  extended WSW down into southern VA this morning.

Archived