joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21st Snowstorm OBS

snow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe MC govt decided to stay open today...I really don't want to get stuck at work but liberal leave only works when you haven't had to take off for every other freaking event since they never close!

My wife has an interview with MCPS at 2:00 in Rockville, and offices are open (although that could change later).  If it's on, I'll drive her in the old Outback.  Should be fun!

Still sitting at 35 and patiently waiting.  Nah, impatiently LOL.

Moisture might surround me a bit before it starts falling...which is pretty normal for here...my 30 minute estimate might need a slight extension...I'm done looking at radar now...time to enjoy and not sweat

I think I read before that you like to not look at radar once a storm begins so you enjoy it more, I'm thinking of doing the same. 

Using the color table on GR2AE that Ian gave me it looks like precip is finally making some expansion into MoCo (albeit very light so far and only extreme western parts of the county. Will be interesting to see if anybody out in the W part of the county starts snowing in the next 15-20 or so. 

it definitely doesn't look like a "stick from the very beginning to every surface" deal here in the city, so may lose a little there, but temps are not getting any higher today once the snow starts.  clippers are cold.  from here on, i only care about the radar.  temps are fine, and looking at radar i'd actually side more with the gfs than the others right now.  

Oh, I'm not doubting temps will crash when the precipitation arrives and saturates the column; but the fact remains it's going to take awhile to cool the ground sufficiently, and thus we'll lose quite a bit of potential accumulation.

Still holding at 37º with a dewpoint of 26º at elevation in the West End of Alexandria.

**Since this is now the main thread, all nonsense and banter posts need to stop from this point forward.  Mods, proceed as if in storm mode and delete, 5 post liberally.  

Got it boss!  Except I'm going to the gym now...

Why does LWX radar always have that beam shooting off to the northwest? 

That's sunrise. 

Edit...if you meant southeast.  The line to the NNW is probably an obstruction, but that's a guess. 

Archived