• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Thread

Ji

Don't know if anyone cares... just my opinion, among many others.  Here's my DJF 2014-15 temperature forecast (strictly analog-based):

cd149.77.109.218.302.7.42.43.prcp.png

Notes:

1) Cross-posting to the NE and NYC forums... apologies for cluttering if you follow all of them

2) I have a model which detrends old data, which is why I can use old analogs, but...

3) ...for that reason, for map generation, I use the anomaly to the 1895-2000 period

4) ...but you should consider the anomaly as being to the current climo period (1981-2010)

5) If you want to know my analog years, you can see them in small print at the top of the map

6) If you want to know why some years appear more than once, it's my way of up-weighting the better analogs

7) I don't expect you to agree 100% on my analogs (through my own analyses I've come up with some parameters I use that I'm pretty sure no one else does.  I also don't use some parameters that most folks do.  And even those parameters common amongst all forecasters - I may be giving them different weighting).  So, don't flip out if you don't agree with my analogs - just accept it as a difference of opinion.

8) Precip is, surprisingly, a little below normal on the East Coast in these analog seasons.  But it's marginal.  I didn't look at snow, but I imagine in areas where precip type is typically an issue, the solid cold anomaly will override the weak dry anomaly for an above normal snowfall winter.  Colder/interior locales, where precip type is usually snow, may run a bit below normal (but probably not much, as the cold anomalies may help them on the edge of the season - when they DO have ptype issues; and, if it's colder than normal during the events, ratios could be aided).

9) Like most folks appear to agree on... my analogs reflect something similar... a back-weighted winter.  Dec is cold, but nothing special.  Jan/Feb drive the DJF anomalies.

I agree and have been on the cold-very cold for several months. Got Larry C's newletter today and he is extremely cold for both Jan and Feb, -3 to -5.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always love the idea that "the teleconnections lined up for cold but the issue was the cold air just didn't materialize."

What a load of BS doublespeak.

Yes you are right and these hedges after the fact has ALWAYS been a problem here.  We have many classics like "upper air just did not cooperate....right for wrong reason...." and the newly emerging"yes I said it would be bitter cold but my confidence factor was only a 4". Pretty much you either get it right or you do not. State it, stand by it and do a forthright post event assesment.

Don't know if anyone cares... just my opinion, among many others. Here's my DJF 2014-15 temperature forecast (strictly analog-based):

cd149.77.109.218.302.7.42.43.prcp.png

Notes:

1) Cross-posting to the NE and NYC forums... apologies for cluttering if you follow all of them

2) I have a model which detrends old data, which is why I can use old analogs, but...

3) ...for that reason, for map generation, I use the anomaly to the 1895-2000 period

4) ...but you should consider the anomaly as being to the current climo period (1981-2010)

5) If you want to know my analog years, you can see them in small print at the top of the map

6) If you want to know why some years appear more than once, it's my way of up-weighting the better analogs

7) I don't expect you to agree 100% on my analogs (through my own analyses I've come up with some parameters I use that I'm pretty sure no one else does. I also don't use some parameters that most folks do. And even those parameters common amongst all forecasters - I may be giving them different weighting). So, don't flip out if you don't agree with my analogs - just accept it as a difference of opinion.

8) Precip is, surprisingly, a little below normal on the East Coast in these analog seasons. But it's marginal. I didn't look at snow, but I imagine in areas where precip type is typically an issue, the solid cold anomaly will override the weak dry anomaly for an above normal snowfall winter. Colder/interior locales, where precip type is usually snow, may run a bit below normal (but probably not much, as the cold anomalies may help them on the edge of the season - when they DO have ptype issues; and, if it's colder than normal during the events, ratios could be aided).

9) Like most folks appear to agree on... my analogs reflect something similar... a back-weighted winter. Dec is cold, but nothing special. Jan/Feb drive the DJF anomalies.

I like the forecast as well. Only thing I disagree with are where the anomalies are centered on the map. I'm going with a more central based cold anomaly and more of an immediate west coast warm anomaly versus the bulk of the entire west being warm. I think the east coast comes in at near normal this year. Just my thoughts. Great forecast though.

I like the forecast as well. Only thing I disagree with are where the anomalies are centered on the map. I'm going with a more central based cold anomaly and more of an immediate west coast warm anomaly versus the bulk of the entire west being warm. I think the east coast comes in at near normal this year. Just my thoughts. Great forecast though.

post/location...

From my files, JB said this on 1/22/02:

"Few people out there realize that the depth of the trof over the eastern United

States in the means Dec 20 through Jan 15. All four major

teleconnection indices lined up perfectly for extreme cold, but the

fact there was no cold air available thwarted it, and when the cross polar flow did

come, because it was so warm in Canada it enhanced the baroclinicity and deepened

the vortex."

and

"The Arctic Oscillation and the PNA both responded AFTER the NAO went negative last

time and the models are showing the same trend this time. A crucial question is

this: Will a similar (it cant be the same) response show up aloft, which in the day

10-20 period stick a big trof near 90 west as that is the February result of such

things?"

Something doesn't jibe about that map that was posted that wasn't cold in the NE US. Could Warrior have made an innocent error? As the above two quotes suggest and as I distinclty remember, JB was pretty nonstop calling for cold, sometimes very strong, to dominate the E US in 2001-2.

You need a web site to act as an archive of all the data/notes you have stored. I imagine it would make for some awesome reading material. Hard to imagine many people have notes of JB all the way back to the early 2000s.

From my files, JB said this on 1/22/02:

"Few people out there realize that the depth of the trof over the eastern United

States in the means Dec 20 through Jan 15. All four major

teleconnection indices lined up perfectly for extreme cold, but the

fact there was no cold air available thwarted it, and when the cross polar flow did

come, because it was so warm in Canada it enhanced the baroclinicity and deepened

the vortex."

and

"The Arctic Oscillation and the PNA both responded AFTER the NAO went negative last

time and the models are showing the same trend this time. A crucial question is

this: Will a similar (it cant be the same) response show up aloft, which in the day

10-20 period stick a big trof near 90 west as that is the February result of such

things?"

Something doesn't jibe about that map that was posted that wasn't cold in the NE US. Could Warrior have made an innocent error? As the above two quotes suggest and as I distinclty remember, JB was pretty nonstop calling for cold, sometimes very strong, to dominate the E US in 2001-2.

I remember the Vodka cold that never came...If you was a pilot in 2001-02 it worked out fine...JB did have a good year in 2000-01 but busted on the March storm...He was using 1962 as an analog which I said at the time wasn't a good comparison...I bailed in late November 2001 when I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt...

I remember the Vodka cold that never came...If you was a pilot in 2001-02 it worked out fine...JB did have a good year in 2000-01 but busted on the March storm...He was using 1962 as an analog which I said at the time wasn't a good comparison...I bailed in late November 2001 when I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt...

Unc,

JB may have done well earlier in the winter since it was quite cold, but his Feb. of 2001 was a train wreck because he kept referring to the "Ghost of Feb. 1899" that never came.

that was 2001-02 winter...He got the upper air correctly but not sea level...

Unc,

I agree that 2001-2 was when he got the upper air correct but not the surface. However, in addition he also predicted the "Ghost of 1899" in advance of Feb. of 2001. I have stuff from then and I also remember it. From my files regarding grading his 00-01 forecast:

"winter 00-01: excellent (A) per JB himself as I hadn't started reading him until well into that winter; however, I did start reading him around late JAN and he incorrectly kept emphasizing a major cold blast in FEB 01 with references to the ghost of 1899 over and over; FEB 01 verified to be very warm; however, I'm assuming he did well for that DEC-FEB period since he talks about it often and people don't refute it; so I'm going to assume he called for a cool winter overall since it verified to be cool overall"

Unc,

I agree that 2001-2 was when he got the upper air correct but not the surface. However, in addition he also predicted the "Ghost of 1899" in advance of Feb. of 2001. I have stuff from then and I also remember it. From my files regarding grading his 00-01 forecast:

"winter 00-01: excellent (A) per JB himself as I hadn't started reading him until well into that winter; however, I did start reading him around late JAN and he incorrectly kept emphasizing a major cold blast in FEB 01 with references to the ghost of 1899 over and over; FEB 01 verified to be very warm; however, I'm assuming he did well for that DEC-FEB period since he talks about it often and people don't refute it; so I'm going to assume he called for a cool winter overall since it verified to be cool overall"

I started reading him about the same time but I don't remember the specifics of his forecast for that season. If his forecast was for cool overall he lucked out because the Dec-Feb period was heavily anchored by the extremely cold December.

I too remember the vodka cold never came....but that didn't stop the vodka

It's been a steady march towards a cooler Nov with the models the last 3-4 days. The first half of the month could end up BN. The warm up next week has trended brief and another cool shot is shaping up next weekend. Beyond that has no warm signal. Looks like some agreement starting to shape up with ridging up the west coast and through AK for the second week of the month. Lowest heights centered in the middle of the country but no obvious warmth here with cool anoms close by the whole time.

Yesterday's weeklies look fine with possible split flow and southern storm track to close the month. No big signals on temps one way or the other late in the month. Coolest relative to normal temps are across the deep south and se week 3 then across socal-sw-tx during week 4.

All in all, Nov is shaping up to not throw any caution leading into Dec. And it looks like it should feel like November.

Let's hope for blocking to start to set up late in Nov and kick off Dec with something to track.

It's been a steady march towards a cooler Nov with the models the last 3-4 days. The first half of the month could end up BN. The warm up next week has trended brief and another cool shot is shaping up next weekend. Beyond that has no warm signal. Looks like some agreement starting to shape up with ridging up the west coast and through AK for the second week of the month. Lowest heights centered in the middle of the country but no obvious warmth here with cool anoms close by the whole time.

Yesterday's weeklies look fine with possible split flow and southern storm track to close the month. No big signals on temps one way or the other late in the month. Coolest relative to normal temps are across the deep south and se week 3 then across socal-sw-tx during week 4.

All in all, Nov is shaping up to not throw any caution leading into Dec. And it looks like it should feel like November.

Let's hope for blocking to start to set up late in Nov and kick off Dec with something to track.

yep, I posted this Canadian link the other day and it was the first mr model to nicely depict what all of them seem to be saying, that the NOV warm up would be brief

http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/tenday_e.html

Looks like ESRL clears their cache occasionally (I noticed my images on here are gone).  Plus, I re-did my analogs in a slightly different way.  If doesn't alter my forecast much - and shouldn't, because the signals are essentially the same in the additional analog years.  But my precipitation forecast comes closer to normal along the East Coast (not surprisingly - as I think a dry forecast, though plausible, is a little suspect).

So, re-posting my forecast (you can see my other comments/caveats up-thread)...

Here's DJFM 2014-15 forecast temps:

cd149.77.109.218.303.8.39.14.prcp.png

...and precip:

cd149.77.109.218.303.8.39.45.prcp.png

Looks like ESRL clears their cache occasionally (I noticed my images on here are gone).  Plus, I re-did my analogs in a slightly different way.  If doesn't alter my forecast much - and shouldn't, because the signals are essentially the same in the additional analog years.  But my precipitation forecast comes closer to normal along the East Coast (not surprisingly - as I think a dry forecast, though plausible, is a little suspect).

So, re-posting my forecast (you can see my other comments/caveats up-thread)...

Here's DJFM 2014-15 forecast temps:

cd149.77.109.218.303.8.39.14.prcp.png

...and precip:

cd149.77.109.218.303.8.39.45.prcp.png

This is good stuff,  millwx.  Thanks.  Just by looking at your temp anomaly map, you could surmise how the precip anomalies would be oriented, and adding the precip map confirms it.  I don't mind being in that middle area between cold and dry and cool and wet.  Please...anything but cold and dry!

Nice post MillWx.

There is unanimous agreement with all mets for a cold and potentially snowy winter. If snow doesn't materialize in some areas it's not really a bust but if it's warm...oh boy...

Agreed, even if it's only moderately cold and we're in the ballpark, I'm ok with that.  But if it ends up warm, this will be a colossal fail.

Agreed, even if it's only moderately cold and we're in the ballpark, I'm ok with that. But if it ends up warm, this will be a colossal fail.

I think it all comes down to a decent -ao/nao on the means with no extended + period for the forecasts to be fine. Temps can be finicky with strong blocking. 09-10 wasn't really that cold considering the magnitude. But it was persistently BN with few breaks. There weren't huge outbreaks of anomalous cold like last year.

If this is a persistently cold DJF with no big warm spells then all forecasts will look fine. Snowfall forecast grades will be more location dependent. From the MA and southward, we can still fail fairly easily in the snowfall dept even when the indices and temps look good.

If blocking fails to materialize and/or sustain then this year will be a massive head scratcher and never forgotten irt long lead forecasting.

I think it all comes down to a decent -ao/nao on the means with no extended + period for the forecasts to be fine. Temps can be finicky with strong blocking. 09-10 wasn't really that cold considering the magnitude. But it was persistently BN with few breaks. There weren't huge outbreaks of anomalous cold like last year.

If this is a persistently cold DJF with no big warm spells then all forecasts will look fine. Snowfall forecast grades will be more location dependent. From the MA and southward, we can still fail fairly easily in the snowfall dept even when the indices and temps look good.

If blocking fails to materialize and/or sustain then this year will be a massive head scratcher and never forgotten irt long lead forecasting.

I think that if we aren't dominated by ns systems, we can do ok wrt snow.........provided we aren't way above normal on temps.

I think that if we aren't dominated by ns systems, we can do ok wrt snow.........provided we aren't way above normal on temps.

I just hope we can get some activity on the southern stream this year. We do ok with northern stream stuff out here. But the guys to the east get screwed constantly by them.

I just hope we can get some activity on the southern stream this year. We do ok with northern stream stuff out here. But the guys to the east get screwed constantly by them.

I never count on anything good from a NS system. Almost always garbage here. I think there will be periods this winter with an active southern stream and a track favorable for the I-95 east crew. Whether we cash in or not remains to be seen.

I never count on anything good from a NS system. Almost always garbage here. I think there will be periods this winter with an active southern stream and a track favorable for the I-95 east crew. Whether we cash in or not remains to be seen.

There's no reason to think it will be a northern stream-dominated year, so it better not happen that way!

Archived