• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
SE snow threat 1-15/16?

Cheeznado

With absolute lack of a 50/50 low in place to build any kind of HP overhead, I'd say this looks like a foothills/mtn event to me.  The barrel low formation arching back over into Michigan is going to keep the cold from sweeping in quickly enough on the back end.

Where oh where is my negative NAO. :(

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With absolute lack of a 50/50 low in place to build any kind of HP overhead, I'd say this looks like a foothills/mtn event to me.  The barrel low formation arching back over into Michigan is going to keep the cold from sweeping in quickly enough on the back end.

Where oh where is my negative NAO. :(

Started a new thread here...probably a kiss of death. http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42394-117-118-snow-threat/

The 12z GFS individual ensembles are interesting for those in the southern apps TN/NC. Looks like a pretty good signal (almost 1/2 of the individuals) indicate some lee side low development and a pretty good thump of snow (3+ inches). Looks like there is some agreement with the SREF, but nothing of note on the NAM. (though outside of it's recommended usage).

Are the chances increasing for a southern apps snow around midweek? At a quick glance, it looks like it.

From NWS Atlanta a few minutes ago:

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS SYSTEM IS THAT THERE WILL BE AIR COLD ENOUGH FOR A
MIX BAG OF WINTER PRECIP...MAINLY AFTER MIDNIGHT TUESDAY NIGHT. LOW
LEVEL THICKNESSES SUGGEST THAT THE RAIN WILL BECOME MIXED WITH SLEET
AND THEN SWITCH OVER TO A MIXTURE OF RAIN MIXED WITH
SNOW...GENERALLY NORTH OF I-20 FROM AL TO ATL...AND NORTH OF I-85
FROM ATL TO SC. ACROSS EXTREME NORTH GA THE PRECIP WILL TURN TO ALL
SNOW LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. TAKING A BLEND OF THE GFS/NAM/ECMWF/SREF
QPF...THERE COULD BE SOME LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS EXTREME NORTH
GA...HOWEVER AT THIS TIME THE PROBABILITIES ARE LOW THAT THE EVENT
WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN...BUT LATER MODEL GUIDANCE NEEDS TO BE WATCHED.

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS SYSTEM IS THAT THERE WILL BE AIR COLD ENOUGH FOR A

They forgot to add everything dries up on the Lee side border of SC!

Rant over!

The choice of words in that opening sentence just demonstrates how differently those of us on this board approach wintry weather compared to how the employees of the NWS approach wintry weather:  PROBLEM??

If we wrote the AFD it would be along the lines of...

THE GREAT THING ABOUT THIS SYSTEM IS THAT THERE WILL BE AIR COLD ENOUGH FOR A

MIX BAG OF WINTER PRECIP...IT'S NOT EXACTLY ALL GOING TO BE SNOW...BUT AT LEAST

THERE'S A CHANCE FOR SOME FROZEN PRECIP...TAKING A BLEND OF THE GFS/NAM/ECMWF/SREF

QPF...THERE IS A NONZERO CHANCE FOR SOME LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS EXTREME NORTH

GA...FORTUNATELY AT THIS TIME THE PROBABILITIES THAT THE EVENT

WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN ARE INCREASING...BUT LATER MODEL GUIDANCE NEEDS TO BE WATCHED

FOR ANY FURTHER GOOD TRENDS.

I'm pretty sure they just copy and paste this for every event.

Well, the 18Z NAM looks like it drops some light snow in eastern/central NC Thursday morning.

Yes it does.  Completely different than the 12z run which was bone dry.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=066ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F18%2Fnam_namer_066_precip_p24.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=precip_p24&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

Looks that way, Cheston except they forgot the ubiquitous, "north of a Rome to Gainesville line"........

I almost forgot Greg. Of course Snowstorm down in Carrollton would probably think that it is always I-20. The clown maps keep it coming here so maybe we will see more than a few flurries.

If the GFS keeps trending the way it does we might have a little surprise for someone in NC. Still pretty paltry but 5h looks better. Vort came in further southwest of 12z. Also more moisture in eastern NC. 

Yeah that would be nice. It does seem to make the trough dive more and quicker tilt to negative than the nam. 

As lookout mentioned earlier it is kind of warm east of the mountains as precip begins. By the time its cools it starts drying out top down via soundings. If it comes in stronger and wetter may mean a quicker transition if the moisture is there.

Cautiously optimistic for a seasonal avg type of deal, I will roll the dice with BL issues 60 hours out given the H5 look.  18z GFS mems on the model center at 66 and 72 hrs for the most part look pretty good, maybe a warm nose if the slp gets to close to the coast, or is stronger than what is being shown, several have it below 1000mb prior to lifting north of the OBX.

Cautiously optimistic for a seasonal avg type of deal, I will roll the dice with BL issues 60 hours out given the H5 look.  18z GFS mems on the model center at 66 and 72 hrs for the most part look pretty good, maybe a warm nose if the slp gets to close to the coast, or is stronger than what is being shown, several have it below 1000mb prior to lifting north of the OBX.

The 18Z GFS is not far from a nice little event for points east of 95 and especially closer to the coast. Kinda wishing I was back at my old stomping grounds in Kill Devil Hills. The 0Z suite should be interesting.

Hi-Res NAM surface maps say it's all rain for everyone outside of the mountains. Just remember that 6z was pretty much dry as a bone. Can go anywhere from here.

Yeah, 18z GFS was indeterminate on the nonogram for most of the 0.15 that fell, likely liquid :-(. Worry about that in another 24 hrs, one would think with the NAMs look at H5 more precip would be thrown back, but nope.

0z NAM would be a few hours of snowfall for the North Carolina foothills and over to Hickory...

I personally would want to see this cut off along the Savannah River Basin instead of the Central Carolinas. Now if that happened, it could get very interesting around these parts.

Snow sounding for CLT at 48

Interesting on the NAM it did look like it was cold enough with just the SFC maps. 

Yeah, 18z GFS was indeterminate on the nonogram for most of the 0.15 that fell, likely liquid :-(. Worry about that in another 24 hrs, one would think with the NAMs look at H5 more precip would be thrown back, but nope.

My guess is this gets wetter the closer we get. Euro has kept it wet..not crazy wet obviously but better than the GFS and NAM. They are probably just now catching on? Guess we'll soon find out. 

Archived