• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SE snow threat 1-15/16?

Cheeznado

The 12Z Euro, vs. the 0Z Euro, is closer to the coast with that same system for Wed. night. We'll see if this trends even further westward on the next run. It is very close to producing snow on the coast near Jacksonville and at Charleston. There is about .05"+ that falls right on the coast near those two cities.The Euro's 2 meter temp.'s of 40+ are too warm due to its bias.

Stormsfury, I see that you're here. Are you following this for the Charleston area?

Keeping tabs on it, a very thread the needle situation but ATT I feel it's at best, a token novelty event, but would be nice nonetheless if it does occur.

One thing that might help is the 850-500mb lapse rate is fairly robust, 500mb temps depicted by GFS on Meteostar are running around -28C, with 850mb running around -7C about a 6C lapse rate which might encourage some instability. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lookout,

This is the kind of thing the 12Z GFS shows as per my last post. I'm looking forward to MeteoStar's output. Here in Savannah, I'd love to see a very rare snow (even just flurries). But I know climo way too well to get my hopes up. Most years don't even get flurries. Regardless, I'll be following this one closely from here near the beach. ;)

Edit: Per 12Z GFS, RDU gets ~6" of snow the last week in Jan. GSP very close to that, too. ATL too warm.

Somehow I missed your post but yeah climo certainly argues against it. But unless it completely dries up, it sure appears there could be some somewhere. 12z euro has over a tenth across north central florida.

Keeping tabs on it, a very thread the needle situation but ATT I feel it's at best, a token novelty event, but would be nice nonetheless if it does occur.

One thing that might help is the 850-500mb lapse rate is fairly robust, 500mb temps depicted by GFS on Meteostar are running around -28C, with 850mb running around -7C about a 6C lapse rate which might encourage some instability. 

Not that I trust the NAM, but the 12Z NAM does have precip. falling with 925's below freezing and 850's quickly falling to below freezing late Wed. night into early Thu morning. Is there any snow reaching the ground per those simulated radars?

Just out of curiosty, where does it show the

snow growth region?

When it's getting cold enough in KCAE around 12AM on Thursday..

between 650- just slightly above 700mb.  with rel humidity >91% right around 750mb.

It's enough to squeeze some flakes out moisture wise.. but nothing much if that makes sense through the whole period I wouldn't think.

I'd really love for the growth region to be 100mb lower around 700-750mb at least.

The region is -15C though.  Which isn't too bad.

NAM is so close to being a big event for someone in the SE. It's pulling moisture into southern GA since that energy is going negative a tad sooner. 

Yeah a good amount of GA should get something this run.

Impressive band….

assuming a deform band develops it will be an all or nothing type event it looks like. Get under that band and maybe squeeze out and inch or two, if you dont get under it don't expect anything IMO. It will at least be interesting to see how this thing develops tomorrow and tomorrow night

I'll probably get in trouble for this but the dark blue is 2.5 inches. This is from the NAM surface map. 

There is quite the sharp gradient on the western side of that band.  Caldwell and Burke counties get relatively nothing, while Catawba, Lincoln, and Gaston get quite a bit.  This is way to close for comfort all around.  It appears to be a story of the haves and have nots.  And, they might just be 5 miles or so away from each other.

Archived