wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
SE snow threat 1-15/16?

Cheeznado

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow where is all the chatter about the upcoming snow Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.  Things aren't looking to bad for that time frame.

Currently the models are scattered and showing different solutions every run. I think we are just waiting on a little consistancy within two or three runs instead of hugging the one or two runs a day that are showing snow. The gfs has been hinting at some development in this timeframe but it has also consistantly lost the energy or weakened it considerably. For me the main positive seems to be the abundance of cold air that is potentially available.

Being in the mountains this week frisk, we should be treated though as I see a much better shot of seeing meaningful flakes.  But we will keep that in the mountain thread to avoid gloating if we are the only winners lol.

84hr 12z Nam is intriguing.  It has the parcel in question dropping almost due south into eastern texas.  It looks like it might would have went as far south as the gulf coast before swinging through.  The trough in general also looks much sharper than it does on the GFS.  

84hr 12z Nam is intriguing. It has the parcel in question dropping almost due south into eastern texas. It looks like it might would have went as far south as the gulf coast before swinging through. The trough in general also looks much sharper than it does on the GFS.

noticed that too. Fingers crossed it is right.

wow where is all the chatter about the upcoming snow Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.  Things aren't looking to bad for that time frame.

i think some of us are in the obs thread with this mornings storms.  i really didnt think there would be any imby with the usual wedge/set up.  i got caught off guard (at least i think a few others did too haha thats not usual).

now i think the old wives tale thunder in january winter weather in what a week or ten days haha. this has been some volatile weather - would love some snow or even ice at this point, but have to say glad mother nature is cooperating enough to give us some interesting weather lately haha 

I keep thinking eventually one of these over performing (qpf wise) rain events that we have been getting on a weekly basis since mid November is gonna roll through the SE when it's cold enough for snow. Usually it's on the weekend. Seems like it's rained every weekend since late Nov/ early Dec. I've never seen a pattern in such a repeat mode last so long. Cold, warms up right before it rains, then turns cold right afterwards. 

Think we have a good shot at seeing some flakes Wed. The euro and Nam over the next 3-4 runs this weekend will confirm this or let us know if where chasing fools gold again! 

Good news here. It has shown snow and ice several times this season and has been wrong every time. I think we have a good shot at something here.

When weighed alongside the rest of the guidance, the GGEM is probably on the right path. There is a consensus at this point that those of us outside of the higher terrain will find it difficult to see any snow this week.

Good news here. It has shown snow and ice several times this season and has been wrong every time. I think we have a good shot at something here.

You know better than this when the models show no snow they are ALWAYS right even 10 days out, its only when they show snow that they can be wrong even when inside 48 hrs. In this pattern if we do get snow it will be from something the models don't pick up on till its inside 48 hrs or so, some rogue poorly modeled S/W that digs a bit more than shown and isn't even seen until it gets sampled over western Canada/US etc...

Yes, this will not be a big snow event, never thought it would be. But if the 500MB vort max digs enough and the precip falls overnight and into early Wed, have some hope for a dusting to 1/2 inch in ATL, 1-2" mountains. Euro is similar with the track of the vorticity, that is the key. Hey, you takes what you gets in the ATL....

Quite a few GFS members (plume maps) want it to snow in KCAE off this little event too.  Temps most likely not an issue for anyone further North for sure based off this dipiction way down here.

It's around 8 members showing snow and one even showing ZR to end.

Anderson has 14+ members showing snow.

This is based off the 12z btw.

I wouldn't mind seeing the models start to dig this quite a good bit South for the ineviditble North trend right at the last few model runs with nothing to help us currently.

The SREF does have quite a few members trying to super dig it, and I'm a fan of that!

Most likely a Northern GA (maybe down to ATL or a little South) /Upstate SC/NC event with some coastal areas of NC/SC seeing some Winter weather albeit light.  KCAE is pretty doomed this year it seems.

NAM looks much different @ h5 than GFS from 18z.  In fact, NAM has snow trying to spread down to ATL as of it's 84th hour on 00z.  Didn't take a look at temps though.  2m Wetbulbs were cold through KCAE at that time though.

Yeah, NAM wants to dig that energy much farther south and the GFS wants to flatten it out. Don't know who will be right, but I am leaning toward a more southern track than the GFS is showing.

Archived