• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
SE snow threat 1-15/16?

Cheeznado

Hey, I'm all for it! That's the frustrating part, we had a decent snow in 04 or 05 that produced about 3 inches, and it was 40 when it started and finished at 33. All these heavy rains at 33-35 get depressing to snow lovers! We just need the right thermal profiles and such. I would love to just see white on the ground

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moisture starved for the Carolinas, that is. It doesn't make me happy that the GFS is already north with the lift and precip.

I agree not worried about the moisture. But my biggest concern is the bolded. What if both models are wrong and the S/W doesn't dive SE as much. That leaves ultimately a southerly breeze with rain. 

I kind of find it hard to imagine as progressive this pattern has been that a s/w can ride over transient riding dive that much and possibly attempt to close off. But guess its wait and see.

I agree not worried about the moisture. But my biggest concern is the bolded. What if both models are wrong and the S/W doesn't dive SE as much. That leaves ultimately a southerly breeze with rain. 

I kind of find it hard to imagine as progressive this pattern has been that a s/w can ride over transient riding dive that much and possibly attempt to close off. But guess its wait and see.

I don't disagree, but it'll depend on how the PNA ridge evolves (its placement/orientation/amplitude), the strength of the s/w, and the proximity of the kicker on its tail.  Progressive has been the way to go, i.e, less digging, but we've got a better western ridge this time, so who knows....

12Z Euro looks somewhat similar, still has a snow shower threat northern AL, extreme north GA, eastern TN, far northern SC, western NC, western/central VA. Best shot at snow outside of higher elev is northern AL, eastern TN, maybe western NC. 1-4" amounts except mountains. Probably some wet snow ATL, would have a hard time sticking. This is Euro verbatim. Again, no huge deal probably but its better than a torch.

RAH's afternoon discussion provides a little hope for at least some snow showers.

A WNW LOW LEVEL FLOW
FOLLOWS FOR TUE NIGHT/WED AS NORTHERN STREAM VORTICITY DIVES INTO
THE MIDSOUTH AND NRN GULF STATES BEFORE SWINGING ENE INTO THE WRN
CAROLINAS. WITH THIS FEATURE THE GFS IS FASTER AND STRONGER WITH
THIS ENERGY COMPARED TO THE ECMWF BUT IS STILL LESS AMPLIFIED... AND
AS A RESULT THE ECMWF HAS LESS OF A DRYING DOWNSLOPE LOW LEVEL WIND
COMPONENT... A LITTLE MORE MOISTURE INFLUX OPPORTUNITY... AND
GREATER HEIGHT FALLS... AND HENCE IT GENERATES MORE PRECIP
ESPECIALLY OVER NRN/WRN NC THAN THE GFS. BASED ON PARTIAL
THICKNESSES AND FORECAST SOUNDINGS FROM BOTH MODELS... ANY PRECIP
WOULD LIKELY BE IN THE FORM OF CONVECTIVE SNOWSHOWERS
... LIKELY
MIXED WITH RAIN SHOWERS WHERE THE SHALLOW SURFACE-BASED ABOVE-
FREEZING LAYER IS SUFFICIENTLY DEEP EAST OF HIGHWAY 1. REGARDLESS...
WILL KEEP TEMPS ON THE LOW SIDE WED AS WE ARE LIKELY TO SEE A CHILLY
AIR MASS IN PLACE WITH PLENTY OF CLOUDS.

Hard to get excited about a glorified clipper! Robert mentioned a few times in his write up how this COULD produce for NGa / NC/VA. Completely leaves out mention of SC?!! How does it skip over ?

Down-sloping effects can be strange, but in this case it looks like areas west of the apps get snow. Then you have to get farther north on the east side closer to the better forcing.

There is also the chance that as the main thrust of cold air moves in a storm could spin up and deposit more general snow in parts of the South and along the East coast this time, instead of the Midwest.     This is from Accuweather this evening.  Think this is for late next week which some models have shown a hint of snow for around the 17/18 timeframe for n. ga. wnc and upstate.

I just don't see much hope with this one, especially if the GFS is in the ballpark with a broad surface low developing to our north.

Exactly... we need the s/w max and associated SLP to dig and develop further south.. alot further south.

As is now... imho anything that would be snow chances is in Northern VA, DC, MD.

RAH's afternoon discussion provides a little hope for at least some snow showers.

A WNW LOW LEVEL FLOW

FOLLOWS FOR TUE NIGHT/WED AS NORTHERN STREAM VORTICITY DIVES INTO

THE MIDSOUTH AND NRN GULF STATES BEFORE SWINGING ENE INTO THE WRN

CAROLINAS. WITH THIS FEATURE THE GFS IS FASTER AND STRONGER WITH

THIS ENERGY COMPARED TO THE ECMWF BUT IS STILL LESS AMPLIFIED... AND

AS A RESULT THE ECMWF HAS LESS OF A DRYING DOWNSLOPE LOW LEVEL WIND

COMPONENT... A LITTLE MORE MOISTURE INFLUX OPPORTUNITY... AND

GREATER HEIGHT FALLS... AND HENCE IT GENERATES MORE PRECIP

ESPECIALLY OVER NRN/WRN NC THAN THE GFS. BASED ON PARTIAL

THICKNESSES AND FORECAST SOUNDINGS FROM BOTH MODELS... ANY PRECIP

WOULD LIKELY BE IN THE FORM OF CONVECTIVE SNOWSHOWERS... LIKELY

MIXED WITH RAIN SHOWERS WHERE THE SHALLOW SURFACE-BASED ABOVE-

FREEZING LAYER IS SUFFICIENTLY DEEP EAST OF HIGHWAY 1. REGARDLESS...

WILL KEEP TEMPS ON THE LOW SIDE WED AS WE ARE LIKELY TO SEE A CHILLY

AIR MASS IN PLACE WITH PLENTY OF CLOUDS.

Anything would be great at this point. But it appears it is going to be hard to beat the same pattern we have seen all winter of cold and dry, warms up, rains, and gets cold and dry again. The monsoon we had today is just a kick in the stomach after all the cold we had this week.

But maybe tomorrow could be the start of the change. Maybe the severe threat for tomorrow will set things in motion and will cause the rubberband to snap back. It certainly is something different that we have not seen this winter.

Anything would be great at this point. But I think we're going to see the same pattern we have seen all winter. Just like this week, it gets cold and dry, warms up, rains, and gets cold and dry again. The monsoon we had today is just a kick in the stomach after all the cold we had this week. So tired of cold and dry or plain rain. I'm ready for some sunny and warm days for a change. Might as well root for that because we're not going to see snow.

Come on man. You have to be kidding me. The pattern has changed dramatically since early winter..... We went from a very positive AO and a -PNA (torch early Dec) to a -AO and a positive PNA (bitter cold outbreak) in January. Obviously you have not been paying attention. Give the winter a chance to show its' hand first. As far as this upcoming event, I would not rule out anything just yet. Remember, the last 2 runs of the Euro were not far from something good. Let's just watch the trends to see if this is the real deal or not.

Come on man. You have to be kidding me. The pattern has changed dramatically since early winter..... We went from a very positive AO and a -PNA (torch early Dec) to a -AO and a positive PNA (bitter cold outbreak) in January. Obviously you have not been paying attention. Give the winter a chance to show its' hand first. As far as this upcoming event, I would not rule out anything just yet. Remember, the last 2 runs of the Euro were not far from something good. Let's just watch the trends to see if this is the real deal or not.

I edited that because it sounded more like a rant than anything, but the result we have gotten lately has been on repeat. It might have been warm in early December, but we have been stuck on this pattern of cold and dry, warms up some, rains, and then gets cold and dry again for a few weeks now.

But maybe the severe weather threat for tomorrow is the game changer and will be the start of what we need to get for snow.

I edited that because it sounded more like a rant than anything, but the result we have gotten lately has been on repeat. It might have been warm in early December, but we have been stuck on this pattern of cold and dry, warms up some, rains, and then gets cold and dry again for a few weeks now.

But maybe the severe weather threat for tomorrow is the game changer and will be the start of what we need to get for snow.

The severe wont be a game changer. We had severe at the panthers game the other weekend, and still no snow.

Onboard with the best chance for parts of the SE to see meaningful SN since winter started 12/1 inside a 5 day guidance window, warm and fuzzy if SVR potential tomorrow over-performs, delta T.  Finally had a chance to check out the 12z guidance, namely the ECMWF @ H5 on Wundermap, we are going to want some separation with these two initial short waves that phase over the middle MS River Valley, 12z was a step but not quite there, a couple 18z GFS mems hint at more separation.  Parcel in question enters CONUS in NE MT around 90hrs, crashing down through the central Plains by 105hrs, meanwhile the initial waves have phased and setting up what is pretty close to a 50/50 although slightly displaced from a classic position.  Complex evolution over the central part of the country next 4 days, keep an eye on that vort south of the Hudson Bay, may aid in forcing the leading wave out early and allow for whatever comes down day 4 to spin up something south of what is presently being shown.  The GFS is really struggling, it lumps everything together, tip of the hat to the op EC at this range due to resolution.

12z EC 93hrs

post-382-0-65659200-1389406550_thumb.jpg

12z EC 114hrs

post-382-0-65959100-1389406559_thumb.jpg

12z GFS 111hrs

post-382-0-45134900-1389406569_thumb.jpg

Archived