joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Another Cold Shot Jan 7-8

CT Rain

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First PDS I've seen for the blizzard here. Did any places during Nemo have a PDS issued? Thanks!

..BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NIAGARA FRONTIER ...

ZERO VISIBILITY WITH WIND GUSTS TO 47 MPH WERE REPORTED AT THE
AIRPORT JUST AFTER 12 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

BLINDING SNOW...WHITE OUT CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND
CHILLS TO 20 BELOW SHOULD BE EXPECTED IN THE BAND THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON. A CASUAL DRIVE OR TRIP OUTSIDE CAN QUICKLY LEAD TO A
LIFE THREATENING SITUATION WITHOUT PROPER WINTER GEAR.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAS LIKELY REACHED ITS FURTHEST NORTHERN
EXTENT...AND SHOULD START TO DRIFT A LITTLE TO THE SOUTH THIS
AFTERNOON. EXPECT A CONTINUATION OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN AND
AROUND THE BAND FROM THE NORTHTOWNS TO THE SOUTHTOWNS AS WELL AS
THROUGHOUT MUCH OF GENESEE COUNTY. CONDITIONS ACROSS NORTHERN
WYOMING COUNTY WILL WORSEN AGAIN LATER THIS AFTERNOON AS THE BAND
BEGINS TO HEAD SOUTH.

I saw a few posts (on blogs and twitter... not here) referencing the all time Connecticut low of -37 in Norfolk in 1943. I did some digging and found out where that came from. It appears the long-time Norfolk coop observer kept another set of instruments in a valley location and frequently reported those valley min temperature in the comments section of his coop forms. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Record of -32 is the "record" but I'm glad I finally know where this -37 that kept popping up every once in a while came from. 

Is this the Norfolk2 coop?  I didn't see any others listed and I looked at 12/42, 1/43 and 2/43 and didn't see that.  Just curious.

That's the same thing the dude in Bakersville does I think

I need to do the same thing in Bigelow Hollow or some of the low spots around here.

Is this the Norfolk2 coop?  I didn't see any others listed and I looked at 12/42, 1/43 and 2/43 and didn't see that.  Just curious.

I need to do the same thing in Bigelow Hollow or some of the low spots around here.

You wouldn't find it listed in the coop record if its his own personal weather station at another location near the coop.

It's the Norfolk 2SW coop. There's nothing listed in the 1943 report but if you look at the January 1961 report you can see the "valley min" listed. There was a Courant article from Jan 1961 that I found that had an interview with the Norfolk observer, Ted Childs, who said that the -33F in Norfolk on 1961 wasn't a record - the -37 in 1943 was. That lead me to believe he had been keeping obs for both locations and didn't always write them in the comments section. 

It took some digging lol. 

He recorded some of the valley mins in the comments section in later years.

So if you have a copy of the original sheets, then you'll see it. But you wouldn't find it looking at an online generated sheet.

I know NCDC has the actual photocopies...but I lost the link about a year ago.

It's the Norfolk 2SW coop. There's nothing listed in the 1943 report but if you look at the January 1961 report you can see the "valley min" listed. There was a Courant article from Jan 1961 that I found that had an interview with the Norfolk observer, Ted Childs, who said that the -33F in Norfolk on 1961 wasn't a record - the -37 in 1943 was. That lead me to believe he had been keeping obs for both locations and didn't always write them in the comments section. 

It took some digging lol. 

Ahhh...I used to do that to an extent.  When I lived in Somers my station was near our house but the land sloped away from the house and I had a thermometer in a clearing near the low spot about half mile away.  On good nights there was a clear difference.  The lowest reading I had there was -30 on 1/15/1988.  It was -20 at the house which is my coldest reading.

So if you have a copy of the original sheets, then you'll see it. But you wouldn't find it looking at an online generated sheet.

I know NCDC has the actual photocopies...but I lost the link about a year ago.

There are some great things listed in  those old coop forms. All sorts of interesting things in the comments section. 

For Jan 6th that's the record. Previous record was 33 degrees set 1/6/1905. All-time record is 53 degrees on 4/27/1962 with a high of 94 off of a low of 41. Biggest 2-day spread was 63 degrees on 1/27-28/1994 with a high of 53 and low of -10 over those two days.

Really huge diurnal ranges in northern Maine.  Ft.Kent COOP recorded a high of 48 and low of -10 on 2/3/1976 (7 AM obs time), and those extremes actually occurred only 8-9 hours apart, the high at 11 AM/noon and the low about 8 PM.  My temps 1/2 mile from the COOP location included 44 at 1 PM, 6 at 4 PM, and -6 at 6 PM, with a -11 low at 8 PM.  (My high was 46.)  That day also included CAR's lowest ever pressure, 957, and the flooding of downtown BGR.

A month and a half later, the COOP recorded -23 on 3/19 and hit 51 the next day (recorded as 3/21 because of obs time) for 74F in about 33 hr.  My place had -25 and 50.

Archived