joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Another Cold Shot Jan 7-8

CT Rain

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't really pay too much attention to this cold wave knowing it was a glancing blow but it definitely feels colder than I thought it would.  Only 7F up here at midday but that wind is stronger than the past cold waves.  The house is loosing heat much faster than our "snow" cold day when it was around 1 to 3F during the day outside but little wind. 

Not sure what note worthy means but its very freakin cold out. Just walkd 15 mins outside. Day time temp in low teens w wind , frigid . Dont need a record to say its damn cold. I was actually caught off guard by the cold bc i was sort of poo poo'd in here .

Yup - it's definitely cold. Seems like we get a shot on par with this one about once a winter where it truly is unpleasant to be outside unless you're really bundled up. 

I'm surprised the record for a diurnal is only 35F.

What's the record 2 day spread?

For Jan 6th that's the record. Previous record was 33 degrees set 1/6/1905. All-time record is 53 degrees on 4/27/1962 with a high of 94 off of a low of 41. Biggest 2-day spread was 63 degrees on 1/27-28/1994 with a high of 53 and low of -10 over those two days.

For Jan 6th that's the record. Previous record was 33 degrees set 1/6/1905. All-time record is 53 degrees on 4/27/1962 with a high of 94 off of a low of 41. Biggest 2-day spread was 63 degrees in 1/27-28/1994 with a high of 53 and low of -10 over those two days.

Awesome - good to know. Any idea on BDR? 

Lundberg says coldest nationwide since 1985

did a little more digging this morning, and I can't recall seeing an air mass this cold with this kind of wind affecting such a large area since 1985. There have been some colder nights, but most of those extremely low temperatures occurred in the vicinity of high pressure, and, thus, little wind. 

I saw a few posts (on blogs and twitter... not here) referencing the all time Connecticut low of -37 in Norfolk in 1943. I did some digging and found out where that came from. It appears the long-time Norfolk coop observer kept another set of instruments in a valley location and frequently reported those valley min temperature in the comments section of his coop forms. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Record of -32 is the "record" but I'm glad I finally know where this -37 that kept popping up every once in a while came from. 

I saw a few posts (on blogs and twitter... not here) referencing the all time Connecticut low of -37 in Norfolk in 1943. I did some digging and found out where that came from. It appears the long-time Norfolk coop observer kept another set of instruments in a valley location and frequently reported those valley min temperature in the comments section of his coop forms. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Record of -32 is the "record" but I'm glad I finally know where this -37 that kept popping up every once in a while came from. 

That's the same thing the dude in Bakersville does I think

Lundberg says coldest nationwide since 1985

did a little more digging this morning, and I can't recall seeing an air mass this cold with this kind of wind affecting such a large area since 1985. There have been some colder nights, but most of those extremely low temperatures occurred in the vicinity of high pressure, and, thus, little wind.

Feb 1-2, 1996 was pretty damn cold in the Midwest/Lakes.

it probably happens more with COOPs than 5z-5z.

Funny you say that because I noticed that a ton during this past fall watching the daily BTV climate maps. They run those 7am-7am, and when looking at the mins to see how cold the nights were this fall it would drive me crazy figuring out how some locations got so cold on nights when it wasn't even close. Then I realized you have a ton of days following a radiational cooling night where the low temp a actually reached at 7:01am the day prior before things warmed up.

I think he means (well at least I did) a temp drop of 50 degrees in 12 hrs. I can't think of one.

I haven't found one yet. The problem is hourly data prior to 1948 gets spotty. There are plenty of 30+ degree drops in 12 hours, but 50 is hard to find given that there aren't that many calendar day changes of that magnitude.

Archived