• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Another Cold Shot Jan 7-8

CT Rain

acclimation, PF gets a pass he is out in it all the time but -35/-45 is balls cold for the rest of us, Being on a ski lift at -35/-45 is brutal unless you live in it.

This is why man created the Gondola. An enclosed space to ride up in. And yep, ridiculously cold, but the Mansfield summit station last week went below -50 for a wind chill, so comparatively warmer, lol.

It's like in late March when folks make fun of me when I say it's beautifully warm out at 40-45 degrees...shirtless yard work weather haha. All relative.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's why I said the registered wind chills because it didn't feel that bad except for the very summit. Most inhabited areas were -15F to -25F, where as the last event had much more impressive -30 or below at various ASOS (warning criteria).

I almost prefaced my post with a disclaimer for you Ginxy, haha. I knew you'd get a kick out of that one.

True temps though weren't too bad...holding around zero at 1,500ft, whereas the last cold snap had DAYTIME temps of around -15F! I think if you look over the various stations up here and then look at what happened last week, you'll see a difference. It's still cold as balls, I'm not saying it's warm (haha)....but we just got done with record breaking cold last week up here and this is not record breaking.

concur, but hey what's another double digits departure day amongst friends. JMHO but the records for cold are not finished. I think the best is yet to come, looks like further East next time, welcome to Chicago or as the hype says Chiberia. We will need a catchy phrase, Death Vortex? Arctic annihilation?

This is why man created the Gondola. An enclosed space to ride up in. And yep, ridiculously cold, but the Mansfield summit station last week went below -50 for a wind chill, so comparatively warmer, lol.

It's like in late March when folks make fun of me when I say it's beautifully warm out at 40-45 degrees...shirtless yard work weather haha. All relative.

Personally I have no problem skiing in it, working for some reason not at all. Actually all the soccer moms, kids and daddy cares are in the lodge and it's all open for the taking. Do feel bad for the lifties though.

concur, but hey what's another double digits departure day amongst friends. JMHO but the records for cold are not finished. I think the best is yet to come, looks like further East next time, welcome to Chicago or as the hype says Chiberia. We will need a catchy phrase, Death Vortex? Arctic annihilation?

The one thing that I have enjoyed this winter is seeing that the atmosphere still has it in it to produce ridiculous cold departures like we have seen with warmth the past several years. No more average of +2 at BTV every month anymore!

I'm a little worried about the arctic annihilation (I like that one) being another deeply suppressed pattern, but no control over it so let it happen. Old fashioned cold even if it hasn't been a snowy year of lore...yet.

Man if I didn't have ski area commitments I would certainly have chased this one...already 18"+ on the ground near the Tug Hill...

Tonight... Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 6. Wind chill values as low as -15. Breezy, with a west wind 17 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.

Wednesday... Snow with areas of blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 14. Wind chill values as low as -15. Southwest wind around 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 16 inches possible.

Wednesday Night... Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -5. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

The anomalies are significantly lower in sne than nne tonite .

I mean last cold shot stowe was much much colder than BOS (20f or more ) tonite boston is within 5 degrees of stowe currently .

Also lookin at N conway obs today they werent much different than BOS.

Yeah really no big deal up here...aside from it still being very cold, haha.

Its January, and its in the single digits above zero at 9pm (and not much different as of 10pm) in northern New York and northern Vermont, nothing overly unusual.  Actually below zero in southern VT while its 5-10F up near Jay Peak. 

Look even up near Montreal... near 10F in the late evening in January is nothing all that unusual.

Yeah just saw its 5F at Blue Hill, 8F BVY, and 10F BOS at the 10pm obs... pretty much in the same ball park as southern Quebec, northern VT, northern NY.  Obviously much more anomalous down that way when those spots are all in the same temp range.  The opposite of a typical gradient pattern right now...  Or I guess its a gradient, just in a different direction, going north to south instead of south to north, haha.  Much different from the last arctic shot when it was 0-10F at those spots in the daytime while it was -5 to -15 for highs up here.

Meh cold according to some.

I could do without the warmups but the cold we have had has been pretty good.  Like I said earlier today, we're one week in this month and it's running #3 for cold for any month in the past 29 years for my location and I've already had more than half of my January snowfall.  Even in Jan '94 there were warm days near 50°, it was just at the beginning and the end of the month.  Here it's been more swiss cheesy with cold and warmth.  No two months are the same though but I'll take this January over a January 2012 any day.

no one cares about wind chill advisory criteria, you think anyone notices that ORH was -17 not -20?

Yea...

Also, I think too often the nws worries about meeting there in house criterias. They want to get it right, which is understandable. But the public doesnt care if 4" of snow wont meet the criteria for a warning. If its 4" with heavy stuff during rush hour, it certainly feels like a warning. No one, besides a select few, will give them heat that they missed their warning criteria by a couple inches. Advisories are never taken seriously anyway, they might as well just drop that altogether and go with strictly warnings based on amout but also, impact!

Yea...

Also, I think too often the nws worries about meeting there in house criterias. They want to get it right, which is understandable. But the public doesnt care if 4" of snow wont meet the criteria for a warning. If its 4" with heavy stuff during rush hour, it certainly feels like a warning. No one, besides a select few, will give them heat that they missed their warning criteria by a couple inches. Advisories are never taken seriously anyway, they might as well just drop that altogether and go with strictly warnings based on amout but also, impact!

Impact warnings is the way to go, what affect will this have on my well being. Ex, winds combined with cold can cause frostbite to exposed skin, protect yourself, avoid extended periods outside with unprotected skin. No numbers game, no criteria ,common forecaster sense. .

Impact warnings is the way to go, what affect will this have on my well being. Ex, winds combined with cold can cause frostbite to exposed skin, protect yourself, avoid extended periods outside with unprotected skin. No numbers game, no criteria ,common forecaster sense. .

It is slightly concerning that this is not more widely opined. Impact based warnings for frosbite were needed today, all day. Lets not think like robots.

It is slightly concerning that this is not more widely opined. Impact based warnings for frosbite were needed today, all day. Lets not think like robots.

Maybe they need to expand the criteria to include a higher wind chill temp? You gotta grade them on something with these. A public poll on AMWX to see if the warning/advisory was warranted? We often discuss this same thing but in reverse when they issue a warning/headline that baffles us, haha.

Archived