Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Another Cold Shot Jan 7-8

CT Rain

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Connecticut only DXR even touched wind chill advisory criteria today nevermind 3 straight hours of it. I hate these advisories/warnings that fall so short of criteria across the board.

Yeah why even have criteria if you're not going to follow it? Unless of course this is just a busted forecast.

Yeah why even have criteria if you're not going to follow it? Unless of course this is just a busted forecast.

Happens all the time, especially in the summer with heat advisories.

I'd rather some borderline cases "miss" than the continuing dumbing down of criteria. It is the boy that cries wolf syndrome. Next time really record cold comes in during winter we'll be out of advisories and superlatives to describe it. Same story in the summer... we warn every storm with a 40 knot gust that takes down a dead tree limb. 

I'd rather some borderline cases "miss" than the continuing dumbing down of criteria. It is the boy that cries wolf syndrome. Next time really record cold comes in during winter we'll be out of advisories and superlatives to describe it. Same story in the summer... we warn every storm with a 40 knot gust that takes down a dead tree limb.

Here's a question, does it have any effect on anyone? Has anyone said ever, NWS chill advisor criteria was not met today, call Congress to investigate? Seems like a big ado about semantics. Not like a polar hurricane warning was issued or something, same with heat advisory. They convey a point, dress warm or get naked into a pool depending on the season. People understand

Here's a question, does it have any effect on anyone? Has anyone said ever, NWS chill advisor criteria was not met today, call Congress to investigate? Seems like a big ado about semantics. Not like a polar hurricane warning was issued or something, same with heat advisory. They convey a point, dress warm or get naked into a pool depending on the season. People understand

I mentioned what impact it has. The more you overwarn when you try to warn for a legit or serious event you run out of ways to say, "but this one we really mean!!!"

If criteria is totally arbitrary and reaching it or doesn't reaching it doesn't make any difference than why have criteria? 

So how do you grade a meteorologist? How do you determine whether a meteorologist is good? bad? worth paying?

I mentioned what impact it has. The more you overwarn when you try to warn for a legit or serious event you run out of ways to say, "but this one we really mean!!!"

If criteria is totally arbitrary and reaching it or doesn't reaching it doesn't make any difference than why have criteria?

Meh nobody noticed I am sure, was my point, minor miss, not like a hurricane going out to sea.

I understand I'm the minority, but this is a typical arctic cold shot for my area. I'm not overly impressed.

It was very impressive for SW of here though...there's no denying that.

Agreed...it was windy and cold on the mountain with registered wind chills in the -30F to -45F range but didn't seem quite that bad. Maybe just adapting and getting used to it after the few of these shots we've had so far.

The two days of sub-zero highs and lows in the negative 20s, when BTV put 58 hours below zero, felt much more extreme. This is more at annoyance level, lol, very cold but nothing overly exciting. Sort of like a 91/67 day in summer...no record breaker, just mildly uncomfortable.

Agreed...it was windy and cold on the mountain with registered wind chills in the -30F to -45F range but didn't seem quite that bad. Maybe just adapting and getting used to it after the few of these shots we've had so far.

The two days of sub-zero highs and lows in the negative 20s, when BTV put 58 hours below zero, felt much more extreme. This is more at annoyance level, lol, very cold but nothing overly exciting. Sort of like a 91/67 day in summer...no record breaker, just mildly uncomfortable.

Lol, -35-45 is the new meh

certainly not by temp advisories missing by 5 degrees

Verification is an important part of the job. How else would you quantify how good or bad a meteorologist or forecasting service is? How else do you fairly compare them if not numerically? POD, FAR, Brier Score, Threat Score/Critical Success Index, etc. are all standard metrics used in the industry.

All about perception I guess.

acclimation, PF gets a pass he is out in it all the time but -35/-45 is balls cold for the rest of us, try to work in that. Folks with indoor desk jobs looking at wind chill charts always meh cold days, their exposure is from heated office to car, most probably have car starters. Working outside this morning was cold, skating outside was cold. Being on a ski lift at -35/-45 is brutal unless you live in it.

Verification is an important part of the job. How else would you quantify how good or bad a meteorologist or forecasting service is? How else do you fairly compare them if not numerically? POD, FAR, Brier Score, Threat Score/Critical Success Index, etc. are all standard metrics used in the industry.

I certainly would not judge them if they missed wind chill criteria today, close enough, not a single person even knew or cared they came up short. It didn't cost any one any money in extra protection, no one was put in harms way, basically no body noticed or cares. All they know is they were told is it would be dangerous to be outside with exposed skin for lengths of time, pretty sure they got the message. Again on a scale of NWS busts, -1

Lol, -35-45 is the new meh

Well that's why I said the registered wind chills because it didn't feel that bad except for the very summit. Most inhabited areas were -15F to -25F, where as the last event had much more impressive -30 or below at various ASOS (warning criteria).

I almost prefaced my post with a disclaimer for you Ginxy, haha. I knew you'd get a kick out of that one.

True temps though weren't too bad...holding around zero at 1,500ft, whereas the last cold snap had DAYTIME temps of around -15F! I think if you look over the various stations up here and then look at what happened last week, you'll see a difference. It's still cold as balls, I'm not saying it's warm (haha)....but we just got done with record breaking cold last week up here and this is not record breaking.

Archived