Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Another Cold Shot Jan 7-8

CT Rain

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, tied with 12/30-1/1/1918 for a 3-day average of -3.7F. Next up on the list is 1/8-10/1968 at -2.3F followed by 1/14-16/1957 at -1.7F. From there it's all above zero.

Seems a bit "mild" for the 1917-18 three-day.  Central Park's 3 coldest were 12/29-31, and they averaged -1.7.  I'd expect ORH to be more than 2F colder than NYC.

Yep, tied with 12/30-1/1/1918 for a 3-day average of -3.7F. Next up on the list is 1/8-10/1968 at -2.3F followed by 1/14-16/1957 at -1.7F. From there it's all above zero.

The 1917 airmass is pretty incredible for the timing of it. 1933 was similar. Very early to have that type of airmass.

Seems a bit "mild" for the 1917-18 three-day.  Central Park's 3 coldest were 12/29-31, and they averaged -1.7.  I'd expect ORH to be more than 2F colder than NYC.

ORH is missing a low temp on the 29th and 27th (or perhaps that's just me), so that could be why. The dailies were -1/-14, 4/-13, and 9/-5. The other days on either side probably weren't as cold based on high temps of at least mid-teens, assuming those are correct.

I get -1F for Central Park during that stretch.

2/-13, 6/-7, 10/-4

Correct - That's why I used Dec 29-31, as 12/29's 8/-6 was 2F colder than 1/1.  Even using the same 30th-1st, it's closer than I'd have expected.

The ORH data looks a bit screwy for that period...it shows a high of 14F for the 29th (missing the low) but BOS had a high of 5F that day...which makes no sense. NYC had a high of 2F that day. I can gather that perhaps the airmass was advecting in from the west which is what "levels the playing field" somewhat...but it doesn't quite explain the ORH high....maybe time of observation? Not sure. The high of 5F at BOS looks like a "cheap midnight high" since it was also the low temp the previous day...though "midnight" in this case might be some other time like 06z or 03z...who knows. We'd have to get the metadata that includes TOBS to find out for sure.

The ORH data looks a bit screwy for that period...it shows a high of 14F for the 29th (missing the low) but BOS had a high of 5F that day...which makes no sense. NYC had a high of 2F that day. I can gather that perhaps the airmass was advecting in from the west which is what "levels the playing field" somewhat...but it doesn't quite explain the ORH high....maybe time of observation? Not sure. The high of 5F at BOS looks like a "cheap midnight high" since it was also the low temp the previous day...though "midnight" in this case might be some other time like 06z or 03z...who knows. We'd have to get the metadata that includes TOBS to find out for sure.

Looks like 8pm?

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS-2536AC95-1CA9-42AB-B407-66F22011493A.pdf

Wow. Not meh

@NWSNewYorkNY: The 22 degrees at Islip NY today is the lowest high temperature since records started there in 1984. Previous was 25 in 1996. #nywx

Islip 22 PVD OWD BOS PYM no higher , but Broken thermo at Ktorcho (tan) says 27 today, ya u can knock a minimum of 4 off that.

Anyhow this strong cold shot is moving out and im kinda glad, let see what we can get down to tonite before the torch arrives, maybe KTAN can register a 70

Islip 22 PVD OWD BOS PYM no higher , but Broken thermo at Ktorcho (tan) says 27 today, ya u can knock a minimum of 4 off that.

Anyhow this strong cold shot is moving out and im kinda glad, let see what we can get down to tonite before the torch arrives, maybe KTAN can register a 70

you know you miss living around here.

It was a solid cold shot...just nothing compared to -2F with heavy snow falling like we saw on Jan 2-3...and then the following night where rad spots got to -12F to -18F.

ORH put up a 15/2 today...that's not earth shattering but a good solid -15 type departure.

It was a solid cold shot...just nothing compared to -2F with heavy snow falling like we saw on Jan 2-3...and then the following night where rad spots got to -12F to -18F.

ORH put up a 15/2 today...that's not earth shattering but a good solid -15 type departure.

Well when u have a storm w NO Analog to compare temp/ precip wise ...like last weeks below zero blizzard , following cold shots that are strong are now meh.

At some point we may wonder when we will ever get another -15 departure day , at least that is how unimpressively cold it was for a time before this winter.

Well when u have a storm w NO Analog to compare temp/ precip wise ...like last weeks below zero blizzard , following cold shots that are strong are now meh.

At some point we may wonder when we will ever get another -15 departure day , at least that is how unimpressively cold it was for a time before this winter.

I was actually thinking how much a +15 day would be pimped right now as a complete and utter torch...yet, a -15 day right now is "meh"....that's how you know we've been pretty cold.

I was actually thinking how much a +15 day would be pimped right now as a complete and utter torch...yet, a -15 day right now is "meh"....that's how you know we've been pretty cold.

That's probably part of it.  I remember how warm January 1990 felt in SNE after spending December '89 in northern VT.  When you're used to highs in the low teens and get a high in the low 20s, still 10° below normal, it doesn't feel so cold.  Kind of "meh" actually.

its bad when my bank thermostat in the sun is lower than TAN

From a different perspective, the "torch" periods haven't been anything to write home about either. Kind of pedestrian.

Well the meh was more because of Islip's short period of records. I thought the torches have been

Impressive. Each cutter has brought near 60F temps. How is that not impressive? Wait until Saturday night tickles upper 50s. Basically when it has been cold it's cold and when we warm we are dam warm.

We've definitely had a cold stretch, but the most impressive one was during the snow on the 2nd through the 3rd and the lows after. The cold we have had over the last few days we get almost every winter, but if you average the days since the beginning of the month, you come up with big negative departures.

We've definitely had a cold stretch, but the most impressive one was during the snow on the 2nd through the 3rd and the lows after. The cold we have had over the last few days we get almost every winter, but if you average the days since the beginning of the month, you come up with big negative departures.

January 2004 is also still recent enough that we really need something close to that to get impressed. We had pretty impressive cold in '05 too...but since then, most cold outbreaks have been like -20 type days. Jan 2009, early Jan 2008, and now this January. January 2004 cold was more impressive in many of our backyards than January 1994 unlike everyone else in the northeast/midwest outside of New England. We won't match it any time soon I don't think.

January 2011 one day shot was pretty impressive, but it was only one day. This year didn't reach the -25 type departures, though we did get the historic cold in the snowstorm. Never have seen that type of cold in a snowstorm. So that was pretty special.

Archived