Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Another Cold Shot Jan 7-8

CT Rain

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh cold according to some.

I'd call this week's cold "meh" for NNE - zero mornings and 10-15 afternoons aren't all that special though the wind had a bite.  REAL cold is what we had last week.  My temps for 5 days 12/31 to 1/4:

5  -17

11  -29

-5  -12

0  -21

7  -31

5-day avg

3.6  -22.0

I'd call this week's cold "meh" for NNE - zero mornings and 10-15 afternoons aren't all that special though the wind had a bite.  REAL cold is what we had last week.  My temps for 5 days 12/31 to 1/4:

5  -17

11  -29

-5  -12

0  -21

7  -31

5-day avg

3.6  -22.0

Yeah, Last week was pretty impressive, Especially the storm on the 2nd where it snowed and we remained below zero for a 24 hr period

The monthly departures have been impressive. The daily extremes have not. I guess that's the quickest way to put it. However, we shouldn't talk about monthly departures until the 31st (or at least wait until the last week) which is still 3+ weeks away. Comparing the first seven days of this January to full-month past January averages is comparing apples to oranges. Taken by itself a week with a 7 or 9 degree departure isn't that unusual, even for our relatively stable New England climate. If a cold shot cannot at least produce widespread below zero lows or low-teens highs across Connecticut at just about the climo min then it's not that impressive.

5  -17

11  -29

-5  -12

0  -21

7  -31

5-day avg

3.6  -22.0

Yeah that may have been the cold snap of the winter... its going to be hard to beat that one unless we can somehow swing more like 3 straight days of below zero, combined with some cold days to bookend it.  Almost all spots had 3-5 day averages of below zero (well below in some cases).

If it's only going to be 18 by day and 5 degrees by night right on the water you might as well just make it a 55 degree torch.

-10+ departures are nothing...we're spoiled.

Its weird tbh.

But i think ur sarcasm is on point. Bos barely gets to 20 today about -14 departure on high at least -10 on the low and its "ho hum". Shows you how use to below normal temps we are. We need -12 for bob in the new Siberia

Its weird tbh.

But i think ur sarcasm is on point. Bos barely gets to 20 today about -14 departure on high at least -10 on the low and its "ho hum". Shows you how use to below normal temps we are. We need -12 for bob in the new Siberia

Single digit lows are meh in the deep of winter.  Got to get down to zero and below before its memorable to me.  It's 26F today off a low of 8F and yesterdays high was 30F off a low of 10F.  Below normal, sure, but nothing noteworthy that I will recall.  The -12F the other day was far more impressive with a high the prior day of 18F.  Those stand out.

Archived