joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 1/5/14 "Non-Event"

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't event think we can get sleet in this setup so it's all timing based probably. Maybe some in situ cad but temps should be warm enough after sunrise. Could be some slick spots tho.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

259 PM EST SAT JAN 4 2014

MDZ007-009>011-VAZ027-028-030-031-042-052-053-501-502-WVZ051>053-

050400-

/O.NEW.KLWX.ZR.Y.0001.140105T1100Z-140105T1700Z/

HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-SHENANDOAH-

FREDERICK VA-WARREN-CLARKE-LOUDOUN-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-

SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...

WINCHESTER...FRONT ROYAL...LEESBURG...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...

FAIRFAX...WARRENTON...MARTINSBURG...CHARLES TOWN

259 PM EST SAT JAN 4 2014

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO NOON EST

SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO

NOON EST SUNDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...LESS THAN ONE TENTH INCH.

* TIMING...THE BEST CHANCE FOR FREEZING RAIN IS MID TO LATE SUNDAY

MORNING. A CHANGEOVER TO PLAIN RAIN IS EXPECTED THROUGH MIDDAY

SUNDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30 DEGREES AT ONSET...SLOWLY RISING

THROUGH THE LOWER 30S THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...SOUTH 5 MPH OR LESS.

* IMPACTS...A COLD GROUND AND TEMPERATURES NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING

WILL ALLOW RAIN TO FREEZE ON CONTACT...PARTICULARLY ON UNTREATED

ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR

FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR

SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

&&

$$

I know it'll never happen, but I'd be interested in seeing NWS go away from county based warning/advisory system. They kinda already do it for Baltimore County by splitting it into Northern and Southern halves. Really no reason why they couldn't do it for other counties, although I suppose its probably not worth the trouble. I doubt there will be any difference between the amount of freezing drizzle/rain that I receive vs. say, Elkridge in eastern Howard County. Sorry for the rant.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd be interested in seeing NWS go away from county based warning/advisory system. They kinda already do it for Baltimore County by splitting it into Northern and Southern halves. Really no reason why they couldn't do it for other counties, although I suppose its probably not worth the trouble. I doubt there will be any difference between the amount of freezing drizzle/rain that I receive vs. say, Elkridge in eastern Howard County. Sorry for the rant.

I was going to side with you and say AAco is in the same boat, however, I don't know if it would make much of a difference in their forecasts or not. It seems they don't know much about nuttin'. We all know where to come for our weather reports and nowcasts. :)

So, my point -NOAA is not the end all /be all just because they say this county has a warning and this one doesn't. Just look at this past storm- they had me at 1-3 inches and I got 5-6 inches and the Advisory didn't come until after the storm got started.

JMHO :)

22.1 now. Not sure I get much colder. Anything that falls will freeze for a couple hours. Prob a non event after 9am or so.

I'm thinking once the clouds move in temps rise and will rise faster at the onset of precip

my area never does "well" and the warm air floods in faster than the models say 98% of the time

I'm thinking once the clouds move in temps rise and will rise faster at the onset of precip

my area never does "well" and the warm air floods in faster than the models say 98% of the time

I agree. Especially after sunrise. Even with a cold start this one will be low impact. Wouldn't mind a glaze on the snow to try and keep it around as best as possible for Monday night. Won't have full coverage of course but there might be some decent leftovers to get all glacial and stuff.

27/14 here. This is one example of good fortune in living where I do. The clouds will easily cause my temp to rise to 33 degrees overnight, and at any rate any precip I get will be light until the warm air scours out the present airmass. I really feel for the folks farther north and in elevated valleys where the cold air will hang tough, and where freezing rain will accrete the longest. I also have a SSE wind that's bringing in milder air already.

With any luck, I'll rise above freezing overnight, then just get plain rain all day Sunday with the forecast high of 45. Sometimes, I love living in the southern Mid Atlantic.

I'm at 17 right now. Station in Perry Hall right down road from me has 17.8 so my station should be correct. I know exactly where the station is located as shown by Google maps on WUnderground. I notice my area usually is 2 degrees cooler from Perry Hall proper which is pretty cool climatologicaly. Anyways, with sky still clear in some areas, I can see it being a bit tougher to rebound temp wise. Areas to my north around Cockeysville up toward Parkton and Monkton may stay below freezing till around 1-3pm tomorrow before the SE winds finally break the threshold of cold air at the surface. It doesn't take much to cause issues with ZR putting a glaze over everything, so morning could be treacherous. Stay safe all. Should be interesting to see how temps respond in the AM

Archived