joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's because the core of the arctic air mass with the coldest 850s is over us during the day on Tuesday.

My thermometer is down to 5.1F here at 8 PM. Seems a little low compared to surrounding obs but hopefully it's accurate.

I was at 8F. an hour ago to 11F now, weird. Are you by the Raritan? Your reading might be lower due to cold air drainage.

But next week, won't we be hindered by the lack of a snow pack (at least near the coast, NYC, LI), after Sun/mon warmup and rain?

That air mass is much colder then this current one even without the snow cover. Sun/mon isn't really much of a warm up. It's very brief with temps in the low to mid 40's if that. I do think we hang on to the snow cover which could make this next colder shot even colder. We shall see. Certainly not a boring start to this winter that's for sure if anything it's a memorable start.

Interesting, you have way less UHI than me but have the same issue as me. Maybe the coldest 850 mb temps not dropping south yet?

There's already decent warming in the mid levels and at the 850mb level. A lot of this cold air we have is all in the low levels so I wouldn't look at the 850mb temps. Look at the surface high. I think the problem is the winds. They're light out here, but just enough to keep us from fulling radiating. Tbh, I may seem far east enough to radiate, but it still well developed here, I do have the UHI to a tiny extent.

Archived