joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, you have way less UHI than me but have the same issue as me. Maybe the coldest 850 mb temps not dropping south yet?

Coldest 850s are on the retreat overnight,  The whole game is radiational cooling.  Where the wind drops on LI, the temps will too.  Otherwise if the wind stays up we will be in the same boat as Brooklyn.

It has been stuck at 9 here for a couple of hours.

I've been in this house since 1995 and we've only touched 0 once.  Here are the coldest temperatures (+5 or below) IMBY since 1995:

1/17/2009:  0

1/16/2004:  1

1/15/2004:  1

2/ 5/1996:   1

1/19/1997:  2

1/ 6/1996:   2

1/16/2009:  3

1/10/2004:  3

2/ 6/1996:   3

1/29/2005:  4

2/ 7/1996:   4

1/18/1997:  5

3/10/1996:  5

The ridge axis is not really overhead yet. alot of places still with some wind

There's already decent warming in the mid levels and at the 850mb level. A lot of this cold air we have is all in the low levels so I wouldn't look at the 850mb temps. Look at the surface high. I think the problem is the winds. They're light out here, but just enough to keep us from fulling radiating. Tbh, I may seem far east enough to radiate, but it still well developed here, I do have the UHI to a tiny extent.

Coldest 850s are on the retreat overnight,  The whole game is radiational cooling.  Where the wind drops on LI, the temps will too.  Otherwise if the wind stays up we will be in the same boat as Brooklyn.

It has been stuck at 9 here for a couple of hours.

Thank you all for your responses. I am still sitting at 9 degrees with a NNW wind @ 5 MPH. I am desperately hoping my temp goes below zero in some form within 7 hours. I hope my winds go calm. If I can't get below zero tonight, I won't get the chance to experience it again this winter. I never experienced a sub-zero temp before in my life here in Brooklyn, or anywhere else for that matter.

Archived