Newest Member
    CHSVol
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Not to be a contrarian...but I recall those two days in January 2009 pretty well and one morning FOK had -14 F and the other -15 F...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY

919 AM EST SAT JAN 17 2009

.ANOTHER VERY COLD NIGHT OVER MOST OF THE AREA...WITH SINGLE DIGITS

MOST PLACES AND BELOW ZERO ACROSS THE INTERIOR AND IN THE LONG

ISLAND PINE BARRENS. WESTHAMPTON BEACH /FOK/...AFTER PLUMMETING TO

-14 LAST NIGHT...REACHED -15 JUST AFTER SUNRISE AND ISLIP SET A

RECORD LOW OF 2 THIS MORNING AS WELL. SEE CLIMATE SECTION FOR MORE

DETAILS.

If I'm reading this right, looks like we dipped below 0 in the past hour at KFRG (Farmingdale Republic Airport) on LI.  As of the last update at 6:53 AM, the 6 hour low was-1.  The actual low at the hourly intervals had gotten down to 1 by 5:53 and at 6:53 was again 1, but the 6 hour update at 6:53 showed a high of 7 and low of -1 over the past six hours.  http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KFRG.html.

That works for me.  Anyone know of a way to get daily history from KFRG or another such site?

Edit:  Sorry, missed bluewave's post on the same.  Still, if anyone knows off hand where I could go to see when KFRG was last below zero would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Farmingdale Airport has only been recording temperatures since 1999. Until this morning, the lowest temperature there had been 1°, which occurred on January 16, 2004.

Got down to -4 in Branchburg, not bad...but this "extreme cold" is nothing compared to a ton of places in the country. I've skiied in Vermont at -20 with a windchill around -40. So I don't get impressed by something like this here for 1 day. This is the norm for people in the Midwest and new england

Guest Pamela

Got down to -4 in Branchburg, not bad...but this "extreme cold" is nothing compared to a ton of places in the country. I've skiied in Vermont at -20 with a windchill around -40. So I don't get impressed by something like this here for 1 day. This is the norm for people in the Midwest and new england

I've heard it gets as low as -200 F on the Moon...so they even have your towns beat...

Global warming freaks must be pissed right now. Record cold deals blow to their case haha :P

Believe it or not i was at 0 F this morning in west islip and with no wind it wasnt bad at all. Went outside and warmed up my car with a t-shirt ( then again i have freezers at work that are -10 / -20 F so im kind of used to bitter cold any way. Impressive cold either way today but tuesday i hope the municipalities do a good job preparing for a dangerous flash freeze or tuesday morning its going to be downright dangerous

Guest Pamela

Goose egg here this morning, but not below.  Second time at 0 in the past 18 years.  Amazing how long its been without going below.

One of these days...when I get the money together...I'm going to invest in a thermometer.

Until then, I'll keep using the Mt Sinai numbers from the Weather Underground page...

Global warming freaks must be pissed right now. Record cold deals blow to their case haha :P

Believe it or not i was at 0 F this morning in west islip and with no wind it wasnt bad at all. Went outside and warmed up my car with a t-shirt ( then again i have freezers at work that are -10 / -20 F so im kind of used to bitter cold any way. Impressive cold either way today but tuesday i hope the municipalities do a good job preparing for a dangerous flash freeze or tuesday morning its going to be downright dangerous

The Islip low of 0° may have been the most impressive in the area. The 0° reading there was that city's coldest since January 15, 1988.

I'm not pissed. Actually glad. As a firm believer in AGW, I like seeing record lows being set. A warming climate is not something I'd like to see so when record lows are set, it's good. And not only that, there's no rule saying you can't get record breaking cold in a warming climate, that seems to be a big misconception.

But in all honesty, the only notable record low set today was down in ACY, there records go back to the 1800's. They're located in the Pine Barrens which helps them radiate.

I've heard it gets as low as -200 F on the Moon...so they even have your towns beat...

I just spit cereal out onto my keyboard!  Too funny.  

Hit -9 here, forecast was for -16.  Had some light sw winds kick in at some point overnight along with a little cloud cover which likely prevented us from really bottoming out. 

As a true patriot and bible-thumping gun-toter, I firmly believe that if we get one record low temperature every 6 years and one record high temperature every 3 weeks we can all discount that silly humans-are-mucking-up-the-atmosphere crap.

I do believe the actual reading in AC is done at the AC International Airport which is inland in the pine barrens of Pomona, NJ. But still impressive nontheless!

You are correct - ACY is the AC International Airport, which is 10 miles northwest of Atlantic City.  As an aside, it's a fabulous airport to fly out of, as it's so small and friendly. We recently had a flight from there to Orlando and got a late start and didn't get to the airport until 40 minutes before the flight.  Was easy to park a few yards from the terminal for only $10/day and quickly walk in - only took us 10 minutes to get through security and we got to the gate as the flight was boarding. So much easier than flying from the NYC/NJ major airports. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_City_International_Airport

Here are the temps on the tower at BNL as of 10:45PM:

2 meter: 7.52

10 meter: 8.96

50 meter: 8.6

85 meter: 7.88

Surface winds are getting light at OKX, so they should start to decouple soon.  I'm not sure when/if they will at my location much closer to the sound.

Following up on your comment on decoupling. Overnight/morning plots on the tower.  For those who might not know about the tower readings: http://wx1.bnl.gov/graph.html.

post-428-0-87675600-1388848293_thumb.png

post-428-0-52748800-1388848375_thumb.png

post-428-0-74796200-1388848396_thumb.png

The lastest model runs have the CAA maxing out here about 6 hrs too late on Tuesday 

to get the most potential for low temperatures out of this coming airmass. The coldest

850's arrive in our area by 18z on Tuesday instead of 12z. I think that the high for the

day will be right after midnight on Tuesday morning in the teens. The interesting thing

to watch is the cold potential for the afternoon hours on Tuesday. With strong CAA

running into the afternoon, temps in NYC may struggle to get much beyond 10

degrees or the low teens. Those would be the coldest afternoon temps that we

have seen around here in a while.

Archived