Newest Member
    CHSVol
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

850s aren't that cold though.

But even with colder 850s on Tuesday, Upton does not expect NYC to come close to zero, let alone below zero. It's probably because of the westerly downsloping winds by then. We can't win here. It's a lost cause and such a shame. I never experienced a sub-zero day here and I do not recall ever being issued a Wind Chill Advisory by the NWS for my area. I wish I was living in NYC prior to urbanization.

Guest Pamela

If ISP can make 0 it looks like its their first time reaching 0 since 1988

Nothing is certain in this life, save for death & taxes, but I'm pretty sure ISP will dip below zero this morning...

But even with colder 850s on Tuesday, Upton does not expect NYC to come close to zero, let alone below zero. It's probably because of the westerly downsloping winds by then. We can't win here. It's a lost cause and such a shame. I never experienced a sub-zero day here and I do not recall ever being issued a Wind Chill Advisory by the NWS for my area. I wish I was living in NYC prior to urbanization.

Both the Euro and GFS show 850s around -25C but surface temps only down to around 5 or so in NYC, the Euro tends to be too warm on surface temps at 3-4 days, often 3-4 degrees too cold...it will be very close and the wind direction will be a big factor...NYC has gone below 0 before with a W-NW wind, in the 1985 outbreak they did but the 850s I think were -30C that time

Guest Pamela

I wish I was living in NYC prior to urbanization.

But did NYC even exist before urbanization...it has always been considered an urban area since it is a city...are you talking about pre Civil War days?

Guest Pamela

It's only 9 here.  Lame.

Facts are facts...if stations like KLGA & KNYC have trouble getting to 0 C before December 1st...they are likely to have a good deal more trouble ever getting to 0 F.

Both the Euro and GFS show 850s around -25C but surface temps only down to around 5 or so in NYC, the Euro tends to be too warm on surface temps at 3-4 days, often 3-4 degrees too cold...it will be very close and the wind direction will be a big factor...NYC has gone below 0 before with a W-NW wind, in the 1985 outbreak they did but the 850s I think were -30C that time

NYC will be close to 0F Tuesday and Wednesday. 850s in the Adirondacks hit -30C. Winds and snow cover are less favorable but it's 8C colder.

Guest Pamela

KFOK up one degree in the last hour to -6 F...KISP still stuck at +3 F....even with good radiative conditions...being stuck next to a body of water 40 to 50 degrees warmer does not help matters...

Guest Pamela

KFOK up one degree in the last hour to -6 F...KISP still stuck at +3 F....even with good radiative conditions...being stuck next to a body of water 40 to 50 degrees warmer does not help matters...

The good news is that Shirley (also known as HWV I think...midway between ISP and FOK) is down to 0 F at 3:00 AM...and I am being serious.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope NYC does in fact get below 0 on Tuesday. It would be the first time since 1994. We are overdue. Actually, we have a better chance of staying in the single digits for the daytime high which hasn't happened in decades I assume.

But did NYC even exist before urbanization...it has always been considered an urban area since it is a city...are you talking about pre Civil War days?

I am talking about pre-1950s era. NYC got below zero many times during the 1930s and 1880s in particular.

Guest Pamela

I'm not sure which UHI is worse tonight, ours or Boston, they've stuck at 3 for hours, meanwhile some places just inland are 15 below...PHL also similar.

Logan is out in the water practically...sort of like Sikorsky...so a fair part of their inability to cool is just sheer proximity to the Atlantic.

Guest Pamela

All urban areas are terrible for recording cold temperatures relative to their surroundings. One of the worst heat islands on the planet is Montreal, Canada...in delightfully cold Quebec...the readings taken in the city itself are invariably 20 to 30 degrees warmer than in the surrounding countryside on clear anti-cyclonic mornings.

Guest Pamela

4:00 AM

KFOK really decoupling now at -10 F...Shirley / HWV also below zero at -1 F...Islip so close now at +1 F

Archived