CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Global warming freaks must be pissed right now. Record cold deals blow to their case haha :P

Believe it or not i was at 0 F this morning in west islip and with no wind it wasnt bad at all. Went outside and warmed up my car with a t-shirt ( then again i have freezers at work that are -10 / -20 F so im kind of used to bitter cold any way. Impressive cold either way today but tuesday i hope the municipalities do a good job preparing for a dangerous flash freeze or tuesday morning its going to be downright dangerous

You missed the word "global" in "global warming."

Yea I'm really impressed that it only took 20 years to see cold this impressive (even though in the city despite the heavy snow cover it still wasn't anywhere near as cold as 1994.) But how opften do we break heat records? Oh yea once a year, maybe once every 2 years.

The cold is impressive no doubt, but to even joke around that you think this means anything in the grand scheme of things with regards to our warming world means that you really don't think it's just a joke and you really do think global warming is fake. 

You missed the word "global" in "global warming."

Yea I'm really impressed that it only took 20 years to see cold this impressive (even though in the city despite the heavy snow cover it still wasn't anywhere near as cold as 1994.) But how opften do we break heat records? Oh yea once a year, maybe once every 2 years.

The cold is impressive no doubt, but to even joke around that you think this means anything in the grand scheme of things with regards to our warming world means that you really don't think it's just a joke and you really do think global warming is fake. 

Come on, you know that warm air is much easier to get because it's less dense. You also know that global temperatures as a whole haven't risen for over a decade.

Come on, you know that warm air is much easier to get because it's less dense. You also know that global temperatures as a whole haven't risen for over a decade.

More implication of natural factors. Solar cycle, ENSO and other natural factors have slowed global temp rise. The amount of solar energy given off by the sun has been decreasing over the past several decades, arguing more cooling, but it hasn't been. The past 15 years have been slowed, no arguing that.

There's a climate section for topics like this though.

I am seeing a low of 3 at JFK -1 at farming dale and -0 at islip digustingly warm at cpk though at 8. It's going to difficult for cpk to ever go below zero again without major climate change. Cpk is probably more like zone 8 and wouldn't surprise me if some warmer weather plants can now live there hardy palms being a given

I am seeing a low of 3 at JFK -1 at farming dale and -0 at islip digustingly warm at cpk though at 8. It's going to difficult for cpk to ever go below zero again without major climate change. Cpk is probably more like zone 8 and wouldn't surprise me if some warmer weather plants can now live there hardy palms being a given

it's all heat Island..if it was 50 years ago the city would have been close to 0 last night..warmer weather plants with 8 degrees?..umm they wouldn't live that long

it's all heat Island..if it was 50 years ago the city would have been close to 0 last night..warmer weather plants with 8 degrees?..umm they wouldn't live that long

There are people along the immediate south shore and along the Jersey shore that have palm trees around their property. I wonder if they were able to survive last night.

Guest Pamela

We'll still get record low temperatures going forward during this century, it's just that over time the ratio of record

highs to record lows increases. 

I'd be extremely reluctant to make declarative statements about what the future holds...especially when it comes to weather...there is an old proverb that goes:

"He who lives by the crystal ball soon learns to eat ground glass."

Huh? Record lows and high used to be in a balance way back but  record highs have been outnumbering lows much more, even in those rural toes that haven't changed in over 100 years.

The second part can be explained by a combination of natural factors that fluctuate the course temperatures take over short term periods, much like small up and downs in the stock market that appear over a long term trend. Also, the vast majority of the heat has been sequestered into the oceans. This information is free to anyone that wants to find it. I'm tired of people doing little to no research on a topic that requires a lot of background knowledge and data analysis.

I'd be extremely reluctant to make declarative statements about what the future holds...especially when it comes to weather...there is an old proverb that goes:

Increasing CO2 indefinitely WILL increase temperatures, this is simple physics. Since I am not aware of some global-wide declaration that we are outlawing all greenhouse gas emissions today, this is one declarative statement that anyone can make with high confidence.

Much like if the Earth was pulling away from the sun, no one can possibly make your argument against a declarative statement that read, "The Earth will get colder in the future." It's just foolish.

Guest Pamela

There is a major difference between saying:

"Our man made computer simulations are indicating the possibility that it will get warmer over the course of time."

and

"It will get warmer over the course of time."

Guest Pamela

Increasing CO2 indefinitely WILL increase temperatures, this is simple physics. Since I am not aware of some global-wide declaration that we are outlawing all greenhouse gas emissions today, this is one declarative statement that anyone can make with high confidence.

Much like if the Earth was pulling away from the sun, no one can possibly make your argument against a declarative statement that read, "The Earth will get colder in the future." It's just foolish.

Since the likelihood of the earth escaping her elliptical orbit around the sun in the near future is rather slim; your attempt to formulate a workable analogy appears to have fallen short...

Besides climate gate, kinda funny considering that you can find articles years ago about how cold and snow was going to be a thing of the past. Just try telling that to the people in Europe, Asia, South America and even the middle east during the past several years during the winter seasons. How about the record sea extent even during the summer season in Antarctica? You just had a bunch of fools embarrassing themselves and putting others in danger trying to rescue them as the fools wanted to "prove" ice sheet is melting, Instead, they were rescued by ships(one is now stuck too) and a helicopter, all belching substantial carbon emissions, to pluck those aboard the icebreaker in record amounts of ice.

How about statistics released by NOAA, that the number of record lows exceeded the number of record highs in the US last year? Shouldn't it be going easily the other way? Sure in some places, mainly cities, record highs are easier to break...concrete jungles, buildings, airports, thermos placed wrong etc. .

But you know what? I thank God for Global warming or climate change or climate disruption or whatever the heck they wanna call it nowadays because if not, it would be even colder...lol

if the world is really warming us humans will find away to adapt...We might find a way to eat up the green house gases we admit...But we have no answer for a global catastrophe like a asteroid hit or super volcano...other than that happening enjoy the warmth...

Since the likelihood of the earth escaping her elliptical orbit around the sun in the near future is rather slim; your attempt to formulate a workable analogy appears to have fallen short...

Co2 increases WARM the Earth, it's not we think it warms the Earth, it's not our educated opinion is it warms the Earth, it's none of that. It's factual. It's as factual as if we pulled away from the sun, it would get cold. It's not we think it would get cold. It WILL get cold. So the analogy stands.

Remember though, I'm referring to the long term changes; there will always be up and down variations with a system that has so many variables affecting it.

The park will probably go below zero again at some point. It just takes all the right circumstances which do not occur at the same time often.

WX/PT

They used to a lot more often even going back to the 80s, when the city and it's suburbs were already all built out.

The park will probably go below zero again at some point. It just takes all the right circumstances which do not occur at the same time often.

WX/PT

If I recall in 94 after the outbreak on the 19th that a 2nd front came down later in the month dropping temps below zero again but this time centered over new england and nyc

At this rate, I don't see how the park ever goes below 0 again. We barely got below 10, and outside of the park it stayed in the low teens.

We would need another 85-94 extreme CAA event to get NYC below zero again.

Even the last major Hudson Valley drain on northerly flow only got NYC down to +1in 04. 

The +AMO/-PDO era is also making it more difficult for us to do it now since the last big gap below

zero readings at the Park was during 44-60. But even from 61-94, below zero days were still

rare even under optimal conditions.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/below0degdays.html

They used to a lot more often even going back to the 80s, when the city and it's suburbs were already all built out.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think the build up went exponential in the 90s. At least here in north Jersey.

Empty lots are now home to huge apartment buildings.

If I recall in 94 after the outbreak on the 19th that a 2nd front came down later in the month dropping temps below zero again but this time centered over new england and nyc

That was 1-27-94 on NNE winds straight down from New England that got NYC to 0. Notice the perfect positioning 

of the Arctic high to our north. It was one of the best shallow Arctic shots in recent decades considering how 

mild the 850's were when NYC hit zero. We also had a snow the day before. Most people looking at the map

below wouldn't think that NYC could get to zero on it.

Archived