CHSVol
Big Snow Threat Disco Jan2/3

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a big shift.

This ...

folks immediately getting blown away by the implications of the eye candy, but the shifting around is not good.  I could see this shift south an equal amt on the 00z guidance to capitulate to the progressivity of the flow (conserving that -- ) and we get dusted.     Or not....just sayin', I'd really keep your enthusiasm to a dull roar with this thing,.

960s low over BTV lol. Ill go out on a limb and say that one probably wont verify.

Maybe not, but that system is going to have a hell of a lot of ammunition to work with. Unfortunately there's a good chance we're on the wrong side of it if it comes to fruition.

Still la-la-land though.

Maybe not, but that system is going to have a hell of a lot of ammunition to work with. Unfortunately there's a good chance we're on the wrong side of it if it comes to fruition.

Still la-la-land though.

Definitely that one could get ugly, but that is one monster of a storm.  

Still la-la-land though.

With the cold overwhelming the pattern that has very little chance of being a wArm storm. Prob some type of secondary

I've been snowblowing and roof raking all day.  Im fine with my 15" on the ground.  Hope you guys down south get a raging mid winter cold storm.

Same here, My pack is 13"

My pack is about 1-2" of now frozen mud.

Still need the storm to verify so my enthusiasm is just fleeting.

Sounds like the Op is in line with the Ensm mean now.

Sounds like somewhere (probably near me or maybe Dendrite, etc.) there is gonna be a sharp northern cutoff if its tracking under the 40/70 point now....

There very well maybe one Logan But the EC like prior runs of the GFS is showing a decent inverted trough up thru ENY very close to or just west of the Hudson Valley with very strong +2 to +3 SD east wind anomaly at H850 feeding into this trough you may jackpot. Likewise east facing slopes of higher terrain of Western New England could benefit from this enhanced easterly flow. Conversely, at least for a while, there will also be a strong shadow in the N-S oriented valleys of NYS (HV) and New England (CtV) which would result in lesser snowfall amounts for these locations.

I'm having awful flashbacks to an event in January 2009...a season that has a lot of parralels to this one.

The EURO had been pegging a monster until about 36 hours out....when the plufg was promptly pulled, and we wound up with a dreadful inverted trough.

Not saying something that dire is going to occur, but I'm still leary of progressivity ultimatley ruling the day.

I'm having awful flashbacks to an event in January 2009...a season that has a lot of parralels to this one.

The EURO had been pegging a monster until about 36 hours out....when the plufg was promptly pulled, and we wound up with a dreadful inverted trough.

Not saying something that dire is going to occur, but I'm still leary of progressivity ultimatley ruling the day.

Nope, that was the GFS showing that. You are thinking of that Feb 2-3, 2009 storm where the Euro insisted on the inverted trough idea but the GFS was trying to show a KU.

That said, I wouldn't get latched onto the idea of a KU type system here either. The flow is progressive so I'd favor something lighter...but that doesn't mean we still can't get a big event. Its just that a lot of things have to work almost perfectly for 12"+ totals. Euro has basically done that the past couple runs. If it continues to show it a couple more runs as we get inside 84 hours, then I'll start biting.

Good to hear Andy... Truthfully I only just started to look at this event. I was pre-occupied with yesterday. :)

There very well maybe one Logan But the EC like prior runs of the GFS is showing a decent inverted trough up thru ENY very close to or just west of the Hudson Valley with very strong +2 to +3 SD east wind anomaly at H850 feeding into this trough you may jackpot. Likewise east facing slopes of higher terrain of Western New England could benefit from this enhanced easterly flow. Conversely, at least for a while, there will also be a strong shadow in the N-S oriented valleys of NYS (HV) and New England (CtV) which would result in lesser snowfall amounts for these locations.

I'm honestly glad I'm not living in the mountains for setups like these even though they jackpot more so than the Cape and Islands, its fun living here given all of the unknowns with the water so close.

:weenie:

Best not to start that whole discussion about living one place or another for reasons relating to snow haha.

It's always better never to get expectations up for much more than a "moderate event"...  I, particularly, get burnt with regularity here because it's a lot harder here when you don't stick out to 70W with water all south of you.  If this ends up being the 1 in 10 storm that bombs fast enough to get me into epic snowfall I will be pleasantly surprised.

Nope, that was the GFS showing that. You are thinking of that Feb 2-3, 2009 storm where the Euro insisted on the inverted trough idea but the GFS was trying to show a KU.

That said, I wouldn't get latched onto the idea of a KU type system here either. The flow is progressive so I'd favor something lighter...but that doesn't mean we still can't get a big event. Its just that a lot of things have to work almost perfectly for 12"+ totals. Euro has basically done that the past couple runs. If it continues to show it a couple more runs as we get inside 84 hours, then I'll start biting.

I agree on progressive flow. Wind anomalies at H250 are +1 to +2 westerly. This is a progressive event. If they were negative and easterly then you would be looking at a longer duration event.

Archived