12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Big Snow Threat Disco Jan2/3

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro came in big with the blizzard but I think the GFS picked out landfall first for this storm, not 100% though. Euro seems to do well with many large events.

It did, yup -- and, typical for the GFS, it goes A.D.D. and gets distracted like a hyperactive brat on a chocolate bender.   GFS quite typically scopes out something at like ... jesus, day 12 I've seen it in the past, then poof.  Gone.   Meanwhile, the GGEM goes bananas and overdoes it at D6, the Euro destroys the EC on D5 .... and then finfally the GFS swoops in with like 20 minutes left before storm start time to signal the apocalypse.  

Problem is getting the 11 days between day 12 and day 1 to show some consistency. 

18z GFS is certainly plausible.  I don't mind a 24-36 hour duration light to moderate snowfall, as long as we get accumulations.  Scott mentioned earlier today about a large circulation low pressure center, well there it is Scott.

I have a lot of hopes for this system, but a long duration, light to moderate event on cape cod is not on of them.

GEFS look decent. 0.5+ for much of the region and 0.75+ for BOS to PVD inside 128 and east for the mean.

Very strong signal for day 5.

Man expectations seem high for such a long lead time. 

You can already tell people would be disappointed with a 3-6 inch type event and we are like 6 days out, lol.

The natives are getting restless.

I won't be disappointed with even 1-3 inches. It's gonna snow..just a matter of huge or minor or something in the middle

Does the pattern even support a system of the size the euro is printing out?

I would love to be all in on this. I'm just feeling really skeptical, no idea why really

Sure, its possible to get big storms if you phase energy into even fast moving progressive flow. You can almost get sort of "pseudo blocks" in progressive flow that can temporarily slow a system down...or the phasing itself slows down a progressive system (think back to January 12, 2011). The "problem" with a lack of Atlantic blocking is that it just reduces our margin for error on phasing and other nuances. So you need a lot of things to align to get a longer duration large event.

The 12z OP Euro manages to incorporate enough pieces timed well to produce an ideal New England long duration snowstorm in an otherwise progressive pattern. The irony on the Euro is the progressive pattern actually helps us stay snow...that trough in the midwest is starting to amp up pretty good by 114-120 hours...which in a slower pattern might deepen and go negative too soon...spraying the low up into NY State or something...but the fast flow trucks the trough eastward as it deepens and the low is shoved to the coast quickly.

It's way better but it's still high minors, Like jma and navgem are triple A, Korean is the cape cod league.

Sure...I'm not saying it's great. I'm just not sure it fits the "SSS" anymore.

The old ETA/EC, SREFs, and NOGAPs forecasting tricks can't be applied today although some still like to. :)

It's way better but it's still high minors, Like jma and navgem are triple A, Korean is the cape cod league.

Sure...I'm not saying it's great. I'm just not sure it fits the "SSS" anymore.

The old ETA/EC, SREFs, and NOGAPs forecasting tricks can't be applied today although some still like to. :)

yeah there's a handful that just don't work anymore. and some observational biases too.

Archived