CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Big Snow Threat Disco Jan2/3

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM has a meridional bias in the middle range that goes beyond all others, and the pail ...  

Having said that, yeah, the signal has been in there for days, and there are broader indications supporting to some degree.  Last night ... the CDC showed about a +2SD worth of PNA spike (it had abolished the signal for a day, yesterday, but as Scott and I discussed that may have been a falsity) leading up to the 3rd, so that dies supply perhaps a vague Archembaultian type deal to that era of time. 

Cisco down at NCEP seems to really like the idea.  I won't bother to cut and paste the discussion but it amts to his citing the meridional flow, intense cold into the GL-NE, and then the less than certain snow event from DCA to BOS next Thursday/Friday.  One thing I find interesting is that when the GFS drops this event in a given cycle, it doesn't drop it entirely -- it's always got some vestigial system remaining on the chart as it's "non-run."  But when it comes back, like it did on the 18z yesterday, it brings a major hammer. That all might indicate that there is some physical presence in the flow that is less than mutable.   

GGEM has a meridional bias in the middle range that goes beyond all others, and the pail ...  

Having said that, yeah, the signal has been in there for days, and there are broader indications supporting to some degree.  Last night ... the CDC showed about a +2SD worth of PNA spike (it had abolished the signal for a day, yesterday, but as Scott and I discussed it may have been a falsity) leading up to the 3rd, so that dies supply perhaps a vague Archembaultian type deal to that era of time. 

Cisco down at NCEP seems to really like the.  I won't bother to cut and paste the discussion but it amts to his citing the meridional flow, intense cold into the GL-NE, and then the less than certain snow event from DCA to BOS next Thursday/Friday.  One thing I find interesting is that when the GFS drops this event in a given cycle, it doesn't drop it entirely -- it's always got some vestigial system remaining on the chart as it's "non-run."  But when it comes back, like it did on the 18z yesterday, it brings a major hammer. That all might indicate that there is some physical presence in the flow that is less than mutable.   

I know you know this...but part of these fluctuations are the models showing either progression or retrogression of the ridge. IOW it's still there..just shifting around.  

I know you know this...but part of these fluctuations are the models showing either progression or retrogression of the ridge. IOW it's still there..just shifting around.  

Yeah I just didn't go that deeply ... but I am also wondering if the slowly emerging MJO into phase 7 is causing some stress on the Pac circulation (at least in the modeling...).  It's unusual to take a feature that encompasses that much of the mass field and then willy-nilly it all over the place.   Usually the L/W features are relatively immovable compared to the variance with handling the shorter wave-scaled features in the flow.   I can understand the PNA varying, nightly, by perhaps a fraction of an SD ( .25, .75, etc...), but not 2!  The PNA is a huge domain space. 2 SD is a lot of mass.   

Anywho, it is what is...   Here is the MJO as it [apparently] prepares to awaken from its coma...  What started out as a few member yesterday, is now actually demonstrated in the mean, as it appears to charge headlong toward phase 7...

ensplume_full.gif

Archived