• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Grinch Torch!

CT Rain

Could not be worse. Followed by days on end of frozen granular.

Nahhh, we'll be able to hit all snowmaking trails within the next 4-5 days. Dust and run to refresh the surface. 8,000 gallons of water flowing through the system per minute can produce a good amount of snow.

Granted could've certainly done without the storm, but this is why ski areas invest millions and millions in snowmaking. I bet Okemo, Killington, Sunday River, here at Stowe, etc recover quickly. The smaller areas though may have issues if they rely more on natural snow for surface condition refreshes.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nahhh, we'll be able to hit all snowmaking trails within the next 4-5 days. Dust and run to refresh the surface. 8,000 gallons of water flowing through the system per minute can produce a good amount of snow.

Granted could've certainly done without the storm, but this is why ski areas invest millions and millions in snowmaking. I bet Okemo, Killington, Sunday River, here at Stowe, etc recover quickly. The smaller areas though may have issues if they rely more on natural snow for surface condition refreshes.

Snowmaking can only due so much when you have high traffic due to crowds, with snowmaking over a really firm base. At best alot of this week will be dust on crust until snowmaking base depths can recover.

I think I'll wait until January 1st to head out, should be a day with light skier traffic.

Snowmaking can only due so much when you have high traffic due to crowds, with snowmaking over a really firm base. At best alot of this week will be dust on crust until snowmaking base depths can recover.

I think I'll wait until January 1st to head out, should be a day with light skier traffic.

yeah need to wait a bit, ice is the worst.

Kevin has the emotional comportment of a 5 year old. Kevin, take a break brother....you're annoying a lot of us.

Seriously so no white Christmas. Does that mean the whole day sucks? Seriously get some perspective! Thread after thread has gone to crap.Wow you're a nice guy

Thank you. I'm sorry I exploded but the whining got to be too much. It doesn't detract from the fact that I like you and consider you a friend and when I react this way it may be time to take note.

Snowmaking can only due so much when you have high traffic due to crowds, with snowmaking over a really firm base. At best alot of this week will be dust on crust until snowmaking base depths can recover.

yeah need to wait a bit, ice is the worst.

Ski resorts today are modern marvels.  They'll blanket the major routes and lay down primo cord.  Leave the fat skis at home and put an edge on your east coast all mountains, you'll do just fine.   Show up early and bounce once the light gets flat.

Shopping in the pouring rain just lifts the spirits and moods of ever one. It's just weather but you have had to climb out from under a rock or not celebrate Christmas traditions to think it has no emotional effect on people. My own grandson told me today he was bummed. OF course life goes on and we celebrate the season but man its just that much better tradionally wise. God Bless and Merry Christmas and may your New Year be filled with love, peace, prosperity and all the types of weather you love.

Hopefully everybody can put this torch behind them, lighten up, and enjoy the holidays over the next week or two. We had multiple events in December, and the pattern going forward holds promise. Just enjoy!

There has been a lot of people on edge in here lately, rightfully so to a point, tough to have this weather right before the holiday. At least there is light at the End of the tunnel unlike the last few years

Kevin has the emotional comportment of a 5 year old. Kevin, take a break brother....you're annoying a lot of us.

Seriously so no white Christmas. Does that mean the whole day sucks? Seriously get some perspective! Thread after thread has gone to crap.

Some simply get overly emotional.

R-

ORH put up a +18 and +21 back to back...but still -2.6F on the month. Owing to the exceptional period in the middle of December.

The torch was impressive though for SNE...even though it was abbreviated in some areas. Tying or exceeding record highs in many spots.

ORH put up a +18 and +21 back to back...but still -2.6F on the month. Owing to the exceptional period in the middle of December.

The torch was impressive though for SNE...even though it was abbreviated in some areas. Tying or exceeding record highs in many spots.

Yea, that was worse than the ones in 2007 and 2008, respectively....probably 2nd to only 1996.

Ski resorts today are modern marvels. They'll blanket the major routes and lay down primo cord. Leave the fat skis at home and put an edge on your east coast all mountains, you'll do just fine. Show up early and bounce once the light gets flat.

ice skating on wind blown steeps when I was younger sure, I will wait.

Ski resorts today are modern marvels. They'll blanket the major routes and lay down primo cord. Leave the fat skis at home and put an edge on your east coast all mountains, you'll do just fine. Show up early and bounce once the light gets flat.

This. Systems like this past one affect the whole mountain, but give it a couple days to get a few grooms and snow made, and the snowmaking trails and main routes will come back fine. These systems more just hurt the natural snow terrain where you can't do anything about it. The trail counts at ski areas went back down to the grooming/snowmaking terrain only. Most major ski resorts have like that base number of trails that will be open all season long. At this point in the year, that's what we are at. It's the same trail numbers we would have if no natural snow had fallen to date (if that makes sense). Trail counts spiked this last week due to the snowstorms because everyone started opening natural snow terrain...now we've lost that either due to actual loss of snow or just plain crappy moonscape surface. Mountains are now back to their snowmaking trail counts.

This type of set up will certainly lead to skied off conditions in the afternoons after heavy traffic, as Coventry is right, with the frozen base layer it will scrape down to that. However that happens any prime holiday time. The best skiing is always in the morning and the trick is always get there early, bang out your runs, and head home when the masses get out from lunch in the early afternoon.

On behalf of those of us who apparently can't understand tongue in cheek humor, I apologize.  There are some of us who do appreciate your relentless passion (and trolling!) and optimism. This would be a far duller place without your presence.  A merry Xmas to you too!

Just some nasty things said in here today. Merry Xmas to all

As per Killington Zone, rain has changed over to snow at the 3,500'. snowmaking resurfacing and grooming should be full force in the next week. Thank goodness for cold weather behind this rain to allow for nonstop snowmaking.

We are snowing right down into town here at 750ft... started at the summit around 9am and the snow level hit the base area around 1:30pm...and then into town around 2:30pm.

Its more snow grains than anything, with an occasional wet aggregate.

this was a situ where maine/nh had a LOT less melting then the green mountain spine.

MRG FTL again

Its pretty much climo...Maine/NH hold the cold better but Pickles this was elevational more than anything.  It was 45 degrees on the summit of Mount Washington.  Anything above the inversion level didn't avoid the warmth.

Archived