• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Grinch Torch!

CT Rain

It's just anecdotal. I bet the time of month is important..IE late March or early December...but it seems tough to get high dews above 60 in March..hell even early April. This airmass was quite anomalous, so dews will probably never be seen like this in quite some time. I agree actual thermo readings are obviously higher in March.

Well there is a reason our fire weather season is really March/April. A greater percentage of low RH days occur then versus the fall.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meltdowns in March are not in the same league as late Dec early January climo wise

Well when they are associated with all-time record highs for the month and 5 straight days of average departures ranging between +30 to +40, I think it counts.  You were skiing the slush in shorts (your profile pic is from that event), and yes it does melt in March, but as far as snow loss rate, that event is right up there. 

Well when they are associated with all-time record highs for the month and 5 straight days of average departures ranging between +30 to +40, I think it counts. You were skiing the slush in shorts (your profile pic is from that event), and yes it does melt in March, but as far as snow loss rate, that event is right up there.

I agree that was impressive but it March.

I agree that was impressive but it March.

Yeah I guess psychologically or emotionally it is easier to take than it is in January for a snow lover, but like Will referenced in the SNE early March 2011 melt, the snowpack in March is holding a winter's worth of precipitation events...including ice layers and crust and thaw/freeze granular compressed snow.  Stuff that doesn't melt fast under normal circumstances and usually won't rival melt rates of mid-winter thaws, except in record events like that. 

But I think the dews this time were higher. My Davis tickled 60 and I believe Hanrahans did too. No vegetation for the excuse this time of year lol

I don't have dewpoint data recorded, but I was able to look at the dewpoint data for BDL which is representative between you and Ryan and found the following days and maximum dp's on those days:

12/6/1953 = 62

12/11/1966 = 63

12/6/1982 = 60

1/15/1995 = 60

12/17/2000 = 61

12/1/2006 = 63

1/6/2007 = 61

The stand outs are the 63° dp's.  While not unprecedented, hitting 60° for the dp is impressive.

Archived