Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Grinch Torch!

CT Rain

can't blame it all on Kev, reading through it was troll after troll

Actually, you can blame most of it on him. He brings most of it upon himself.

Shopping in the pouring rain just lifts the spirits and moods of ever one. It's just weather but you have had to climb out from under a rock or not celebrate Christmas traditions to think it has no emotional effect on people. My own grandson told me today he was bummed. OF course life goes on and we celebrate the season but man its just that much better tradionally wise. God Bless and Merry Christmas and may your New Year be filled with love, peace, prosperity and all the types of weather you love.

Most people I know around here don't get emotionally affected by a non-white Christmas. It's just weather, not the end of the world.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of meant the duration of this. It just happened so fast. 96 wasn't in 36 hours was it? Maybe I am mis remembering. To lose 11 inches of snow so fast just seemed crazy

The BDL data Ryan showed has that spot losing 29 inches of snow cover in 3 days.  If you think 11" in 36 hours is rough...10" a day for 3 days would be incredibly brutal.

It was one of the most hideous turn of events imaginable. 

Those whining about this 6" of crap vaporizing have short memories lol

I was in high school and literally remember nearly sobbing when I saw green patches open up on our football field early afternoon.  We had temps in the low 60s and even a Severe T-storm Warning that afternoon... it was a Friday.

40" to just about nothing, though I had 3-6" of bulletproof pseudo-snow in the north yard.  What a beating.

I was in high school and literally remember nearly sobbing when I saw green patches open up on our football field early afternoon.  We had temps in the low 60s and even a Severe T-storm Warning that afternoon... it was a Friday.

40" to just about nothing, though I had 3-6" of bulletproof pseudo-snow in the north yard.  What a beating.

Yeah I've never seen anything quite like that. What a disaster that was. At least the snow machine kicked back up again lol. 

Well we'll agree to disagree on that - considering I was there in Tolland for your last event. 

Anyway losing 11" over a 3 day warm seems pretty run of the mill. 

It was a little better than just a crappy snow cover here, IMHO.  It was a well layered cover and not just some fluff some a couple of events.  At least here, any fluff was compacted with ice imbedded.  It wasn't much, but it was a start and places that received more snow on the last event were down to what I had on the ground.  No big deal.

In 1996, I had 36" at the peak on 1/13.  I had 21" before the real warm up on 1/17 so we lost 15" in 4 days.  By the 20th I was down to 6" on the 20th and down to a trace (patches) on the 23rd.  I still had patches left through the 30th when we started building the pack back up again.  It never fully recovered but in the end we had 133.3" so I'm not going to complain.

In April 1997 I lost 36" in a couple of days

But it was April

This event I had 13" drop to 1-2"

March 2011 I had 22" pulverized to like 3" in 3 days during the Mar 6-9 period...and that 22" was filled with ice. It got finished off in the next torch. I had 25" of high water content snow get vaporized to nothing in December 1996 within a week to 10 days. February 1994 is a forgotten one too...over a foot of sleet-packed snow wiped out in 3 days.

We've had countless snow loss episodes worse than Kevin's 11" to nothing. The timing obviously sucks if you like a White Christmas though.

March 2011 I had 22" pulverized to like 3" in 3 days during the Mar 6-9 period...and that 22" was filled with ice. It got finished off in the next torch. I had 25" of high water content snow get vaporized to nothing in December 1996 within a week to 10 days. February 1994 is a forgotten one too...over a foot of sleet-packed snow wiped out in 3 days.

We've had countless snow loss episodes worse than Kevin's 11" to nothing. The timing obviously sucks if you like a White Christmas though.

The famous Jan 1999 OES event. 12" of fluff gone in 5 hours.

was this the warmest temp / high dew combo though that we've had on a snowpack raping? I don't ever recall dews into the 60's , but I'm sure there must have been a few?

was this the warmest temp / high dew combo though that we've had on a snowpack raping? I don't ever recall dews into the 60's , but I'm sure there must have been a few?

Its def close to one of the worst...though I'm sure we've had them in March...harder to do in December, but 1996 was close to this and so was December 1990 (though Dec 1990 didn't have much if any snow to vaporize when that cutter happened). December 1984 had temps into the 70s but the dewpoints were more like 55F.

I think December is easier to do with high dews. Source region is still warm. SSTs in March south of SNE colder than now.

SSTs def colder but the heat potential out of the SE has to be greater...

You might be right. It will be something I'll have to look up and see how frequent high 50s to near 60F dewpoints have happened in March.

My fastest melt I can remember is the March 2012 torch where departures (based on BTV's records) were between 30-40 degrees above normal for 5 straight days, plus 13 straight days of +14 or greater departures.  I still think that event is the definition of "torch" and the Mansfield snowpack got absolutely decimated.  The mountain lost 4 feet of snow in like 10 days...and like 5 feet in two weeks...that wasn't just any snow either.  It was glaciated snowpack that was rock hard from an entire winter's worth of precipitation events. 

I still remember coming in each morning and finding it was 50 degrees at 6am with water pouring off the mountain...in the afternoon it was 70+ degrees and melting so fast it was making like a sucking sound, lol.  The impressive thing about that torch was that it wasn't accompanied with a rainstorm... I can only imagine we would've lost feet per day if it was 70/60 and raining.

12/23/1990 looks like a decent analog.  The high temp was 58 and the low was 52.  We had lows in the 40s for a couple of days.  We've certainly had warmer December days.

1/6/2007 was 60 for the high and had a low of 50.

Of course, I can only look back into the 80s for our neck of the woods.

My fastest melt I can remember is the March 2012 torch where departures (based on BTV's records) were between 30-40 degrees above normal for 5 straight days, plus 13 straight days of +14 or greater departures. I still think that event is the definition of "torch" and the Mansfield snowpack got absolutely decimated. The mountain lost 4 feet of snow in like 10 days...and like 5 feet in two weeks...that wasn't just any snow either. It was glaciated snowpack that was rock hard from an entire winter's worth of precipitation events.

I still remember coming in each morning and finding it was 50 degrees at 6am with water pouring off the mountain...in the afternoon it was 70+ degrees and melting so fast it was making like a sucking sound, lol. The impressive thing about that torch was that it wasn't accompanied with a rainstorm... I can only imagine we would've lost feet per day if it was 70/60 and raining.

I remember that. I went skiing in shorts and a t shirt. That was incredible. 70+ temps over feet of snow.

Down here I think we were around 80 a few days. A fitting way to end a horrific winter, with summertime warmth in March

12/23/1990 looks like a decent analog. The high temp was 58 and the low was 52. We had lows in the 40s for a couple of days. We've certainly had warmer December days.

1/6/2007 was 60 for the high and had a low of 50.

Of course, I can only look back into the 80s for our neck of the woods.

But I think the dews this time were higher. My Davis tickled 60 and I believe Hanrahans did too. No vegetation for the excuse this time of year lol

My fastest melt I can remember is the March 2012 torch where departures (based on BTV's records) were between 30-40 degrees above normal for 5 straight days, plus 13 straight days of +14 or greater departures.  I still think that event is the definition of "torch" and the Mansfield snowpack got absolutely decimated.  The mountain lost 4 feet of snow in like 10 days...and like 5 feet in two weeks...that wasn't just any snow either.  It was glaciated snowpack that was rock hard from an entire winter's worth of precipitation events. 

I still remember coming in each morning and finding it was 50 degrees at 6am with water pouring off the mountain...in the afternoon it was 70+ degrees and melting so fast it was making like a sucking sound, lol.  The impressive thing about that torch was that it wasn't accompanied with a rainstorm... I can only imagine we would've lost feet per day if it was 70/60 and raining.

I could live here the rest of my life and never see a March quite like that one again.

80 degrees at CON from the 18th through the 22nd, and 6 straight days of 20+ degree departures. PWM "suffered" from the sea breeze and could only manage one day in the 80s.

March 2011 I had 22" pulverized to like 3" in 3 days during the Mar 6-9 period...and that 22" was filled with ice. It got finished off in the next torch.

During that time my snowpack went from 21" to 38".  That was the storm that sort of made the winter up here...after being fringed by the Jan and Feb systems which nailed SNE, we cleaned up with 27" in the March 6-7, 2011 event and brought our seasonal snowfall to 150" in town.

I remember that. I went skiing in shorts and a t shirt. That was incredible. 70+ temps over feet of snow.

Down here I think we were around 80 a few days. A fitting way to end a horrific winter, with summertime warmth in March

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the snow depth at the co-op went from like 85" to 28" in a startling short period of time. 

SSTs def colder but the heat potential out of the SE has to be greater...

You might be right. It will be something I'll have to look up and see how frequent high 50s to near 60F dewpoints have happened in March.

It's just anecdotal. I bet the time of month is important..IE late March or early December...but it seems tough to get high dews above 60 in March..hell even early April. This airmass was quite anomalous, so dews will probably never be seen like this in quite some time. I agree actual thermo readings are obviously higher in March.

Archived