• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 14/15 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

I nailed this one, man....9" fell squarely in the middle of my 7-11" range, and I was adamant that the cf would make UML, employing 12/16/07 as an analog....

Good Sunday.

It made it briefly through Salem NH as well...for like 20 minutes. lol

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=NHSLM&time=GMT

post-3-0-17970700-1387123256_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at GYX FB totals, coastal peeps were the winners with a foot give or take. Snow bombs being dropped by trees now as winds ramp up

Our trees remained bare through out the storm. Winds were 20-25 mph with gusts over 30 mph. Some nice drifts. I measured at 8am and looks like we may have added another 1\2".

-SN 10.0°F

Got hit hard in ALB.  Really lucked out with this one!!  Was out well after midnight and i was snowing 2" per hour at 12F.  I think I heard some sleet mix in early this morning.  Still light snow now.  Looks deep outside the windows... going out to investigate.

1 foot here!  Amazing death band at 3am.  Didn't last long but was 2-3" per hour with huge parachutes.  As soon as the band passed , it changed to light sleet and maybe some freezing drizzle.  Topped it off later with a bit more snow.  I'm a happy weenie! :weenie::snowing::snowman::snowing::weenie:

Yea the Albany metro area (and maybe just to our N as well) was the proverbial jackpot with this event. The ALB airport had 1.23" liquid precipitation! The 00z ECMWF showed a large area of .25-.35" precip over Albany from 03z to 06z and I thought it was way too bullish... when in actuality it was spot on! 

yeah i should have known better for that area. that's the only zone where i was too conservative. and really that's like the only area i strayed from climo on the "SWFE" type of event, oh well. 

East wind is tough there in December...but when you got like -12C at 925mb initially and arctic dewpoints, it can take a while. Kind of like a less extreme version of ACK having SE winds for 10 hours in Jan 2005 before flipping to rain. :lol:

East wind is tough there in December...but when you got like -12C at 925mb initially and arctic dewpoints, it can take a while. Kind of like a less extreme version of ACK having SE winds for 10 hours in Jan 2005 before flipping to rain. :lol:

What did you end up with? PNS still has 6" for ORH but surrounding towns mostly 7-8.5?

Ended with just over 10" here at Plymouth State.

Really cool how the cold hung very strong.  Newark Airport dropped to 19 at like 8-9 pm last night when models had them into the 40s. This chart from Rutgers in Central NJ tells the story well too

post-402-0-33662700-1387126219_thumb.png

Here in Stamford I found it hard measuring anything over 5" before the changeover last night, the wind was really compacting everything, especially that 3" of pure air we got early in the day. If you used the every 6 hour method then you easily came up with 6-7 for the event though. Once it flipped to heavy ZR it was an instant ice skating rink outside, which still exists on my balcony. We topped out at 34 degrees or so before it ended. I'm gonna lean with the higher measurements at 5.5 or so.  :weenie:

yeah i should have known better for that area. that's the only zone where i was too conservative. and really that's like the only area i strayed from climo on the "SWFE" type of event, oh well. 

If we didn't have the fluff OES, it would have been fine. You had a good call and valid points. Your call on the anafrontal wave earlier this month being meh was spot on.

Archived