joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Often times the cold air holds to the point where the coastal front ends up further south and east, unlikely in this case though.

Even if it does it seems highly unlikely anyone south of I-78 can avoid changing over..especially with guidance calling not just for temps going slightly above freezing but torching into the 40s in coastal locales

Anyone concerned about the drop in temperatures?  NAM had HPN at 22 degrees right now, I am down to 17

The only concern it produces in my mind is the threat of more significant freezing rain exist, if, when the warming occurs aloft its deep enough to exclude sleet and results in rain falling into this dense arctic air at the surface. Temps at the surface in the areas with temps and dew points currently in the teens will very likely never reach freezing or at least not till well after all the precip has fallen. 

NAM had OXC 19 by 7pm, 24 by 10pm, currently 12

Anyone concerned about the drop in temperatures?  NAM had HPN at 22 degrees right now, I am down to 17

I'm completely puzzled by it too.  Didn't read Upton's discussion.  But mount holly only went by what the latest models were saying...didn't mention anything about Nowcasting. Or what the current temps indicate.   Even if the mid layers get above freezing, this will still be a huge sleet / freezing rain event.

13 degrees and heavy snow here.   Way below forecasted temp. 

24F... low of the day here.  only about 1.5"

temp from: http://synoptic.envsci.rutgers.edu/site/

yes, very weak system for us. Never had great expectations. looks like the 1-3 calls were right. My general rule is that I don't even pay attention to 1-3 events, but it is early in the season and we have had two lame winters in central NJ, even if we eked our way to average last year. So its nice to see anyway, but I can't make any conclusions about the rest of the winter other than that statistically, some snow in Dec usually means we will see more as winter wears on, but I keep reading here the outlook isn't good.

Clearly colder than forecasted here.  15.6 and the snow is ripping in Southern Sussex County.  Coldest snow I can remember in a long, long time...  Just spent an hour out there and had a couple of beers playing in the woods.  Now I'm warming up by the fire getting ready for my next trip out when it's really going! 

LOVE this stuff!

Temp just jumped here from 23 to 27 in 30 minutes

Temp dropped 4 degrees at newark last hour to 21.9 - this cold air is holding tough with heavey precip moving in - just hope its snow and not changing to freezing rain

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2013/12/14/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

dramatic stuff going on.     Especially the Newark one. 

yes, very weak system for us. Never had great expectations. looks like the 1-3 calls were right. My general rule is that I don't even pay attention to 1-3 events, but it is early in the season and we have had two lame winters in central NJ, even if we eked our way to average last year. So its nice to see anyway, but I can't make any conclusions about the rest of the winter other than that statistically, some snow in Dec usually means we will see more as winter wears on, but I keep reading here the outlook isn't good.

Please stop.  The rain/snow line is still down by Lakewood and very slowly moving north.  The entire region will continue to be snow for the next few hours and there is heavy precip moving in from the south and west.

watch the last frame on this loop the snow / rain line is moving south through Monmouth county now in response to the cold push the last hour

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/WXTYPE/loop25ne.html

That's how it looks to me also up towards NYC and Long Island too.  At least during the last fifteen minutes :)

Archived