Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flake size has improved here! Def accumulating fast

I just measured 1.0" in my board. Kinda surprised, since it seems to have been falling moderately for a few hours now. Makes me wonder if some of the snow is blowing off my board. Sure looks nice though. 

Edit: measured again and there definitely is some drifting, as the other side of the board was closer to 2". True fall is probably somewhere in the middle. Also, temperature continues to fall. Down to 24.6 deg. 

I just measured 1.0" in my board. Kinda surprised, since it seems to have been falling moderately for a few hours now. Makes me wonder if some of the snow is blowing off my board. Sure looks nice though. 

Yes the wind is blowing things around making it hard to measure. Not sure how much I have here.

But it's 21 degrees with a 16mph wind from the ENE.

Temp dropped a degree to 26F and snow is starting to pick up again in intensty, with 1.75" currently on ground from this storm (had maybe 1.5" left on the ground) - radar showing some good 20-30 DBZ bands about to hit us.  With the rain/snow line still down around Pt. Pleasant to maybe Belmar and over to maybe Mt. Holly, I'm hopeful, we'll get a decent amount of moderate to heavy snow for at least the next 3-4 hours, maybe getting to 4-5" here, which would be pretty close to what was forecast.  Will be interesting to see how much sleet/ZR we get before surface temps go above 32F and plain rain falls. 

My temp has actually dropped 2 degrees in the last hour, down to 23. I've gotten 2 inches so far from this storm here in Piscataway, hoping to get to 5. As you mentioned, we still had snow on the ground from the last storm as well. Not too often you get snow on snow in the first half of December. This winter is off to a great start!

22.8 here in Lynbrook (western nassau County on Long Island) Coldest all day too...Can see loosing upper air support for snow later on but not surface temps.

Think it is going to get icy, unless we go straight SE winds, temps might rise 5-7 degrees but not go above freezing.

If the models are right, temp rise quickly for us

Archived