Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its too aggressive with precip, but the track might not be too far off reality given the more amp up nature of the southern stream s/w. This is allowing the initial low in this miller-b solution to be more dominant for longer before it transfers energy to the coast. 

Oh I agree... again most of the precipitation falls before the warming takes place... just ending with some light sleet/freezing rain/rain depending on how close a person is to the surface coastal front. All I am saying that the main event will probably be earlier than guidance was pointing yesterday with a greater chance of liquid precipitation towards the end of the event. 

Great track for Albany for sure.

I think its too aggressive with precip, but the track might not be too far off reality given the more amp up nature of the southern stream s/w. This is allowing the initial low in this miller-b solution to be more dominant for longer before it transfers energy to the coast.

Oh I agree... again most of the precipitation falls before the warming takes place... just ending with some light sleet/freezing rain/rain depending on how close a person is to the surface coastal front. All I am saying that the main event will probably be earlier than guidance was pointing yesterday with a greater chance of liquid precipitation towards the end of the event.

It will also bring the DS in faster as well.

I was 9 degrees and ripping rain, talk about dumbfounded in my hallow that day. The shotgun shells lasted all night to wake up with probably the most beautiful glimmering sunrise of my life, and  you know what happened after. The return of Leon

What day was that? The last really cold ZR I remember was 1/14/99.

Beginning to look rather grave around here. Lowering expectations again. 0-2 here. How things have changed

That's too low, you'll get at least an inch, and maybe 3 or 4 if things work out.  Ironically about the same here.  The critical thicknesses are breached further west into CT before they are over EMA because this thing is now going so far west.

UGH!

It's warmer again.  If the Euro follows suit..... 

By 6z almost 1/2 of CT is already above the critical CT's at 1000-850 and from there it blasts north. 

By 9z they're tickling Will and Ray. 

Every run speeds that up.  It's a good front end hit, but how good?

the front end should be pretty freaking solid...all models have some insane lift around 700-600mb.  What kind of sucks though (and I think Ryan made mention) is that eventually the stronger omega values actually move towards the lower levels of the atmosphere.  What also sucks too is there is likely to be some subsidence going on somewhere and actually the NAM kind of shows this...looks like it might be centered over CT too haha

Soundings try to bring ash/mht above freezing at 12z. I'm skeptical of that but I do think we mix with IP around 11-12z or so. Most of the damage is done at the point though maybe lose an inch or 2 at the end.

I find it hard to believe we get above freezing. Prob some ZR tho

Looks just like the previous map that got lowered and raised.  They sure cover all the bases, I have been forecasted just about every possible total up to 14".

Funny thing is, with 1+' qpf on all models if we get some decent growth, they'll bust on every single one.

Bow has never been forecast for 14" from this event. You've been near the cut off in ranges (10") so you've been waffling on either side of it with forecast updates.

Looks just like the previous map that got lowered and raised.  They sure cover all the bases, I have been forecasted just about every possible total up to 14".

Funny thing is, with 1+' qpf on all models if we get some decent growth, they'll bust on every single one.

I'm not worried about the over with these trends.

the front end should be pretty freaking solid...all models have some insane lift around 700-600mb.  What kind of sucks though (and I think Ryan made mention) is that eventually the stronger omega values actually move towards the lower levels of the atmosphere.  What also sucks too is there is likely to be some subsidence going on somewhere and actually the NAM kind of shows this...looks like it might be centered over CT too haha

RGEM is warmer than 0z too but still implies a good hit in CMA and interior EMA.  Thing is this is a multi model multi run increase in torchiness...probably unlikely that it's over right now.

Archived