bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then Grinch next weekend. Deep deep melting.

Yeah--that one blows.

Man love that 12z NAM relative humidity maps...

Nice curling deform band possible up this way.  Models have continued to look better up here over the last 24 hours.  We'll see. 

attachicon.gifNAM.JPG

Mad reworking of snowfall maps in NE.

No way that happens. Warmth isn't going to be denied with this track. More sure than ever 1-3 does it here.

Yeah I was shocked to still see that. I don't even think it's done trending north west at this point. I'm quickly losing hope for anything more than a couple that isn't washed away.

Sucks that this had to trend in the wrong last minute. Up north will make out like bandits as usual. Par for the course pretty much

Rich get richer, poor get poorer. Agitating

You can probably blame the last second NW trend in the modeling in the last 12 hours on the intensity of the southern stream s/w... guidance has been too adamant about shearing out the upper level feature too soon as it moves into the upper-level confluence zone associated with the strengthening upper-level jet. Instead its hanging on to coherency and thus producing larger height falls in its path (and thus more ridge building downstream due to the positive moisture feedback of diabatic heating due to saturated air parcel).    

2ez4lep.gif

Yeah I was shocked to still see that. I don't even think it's done trending north west at this point. I'm quickly losing hope for anything more than a couple that isn't washed away.

Sucks that this had to trend in the wrong last minute. Up north will make out like bandits as usual. Par for the course pretty much

It's mid December and it's snowing again (oes started here) nothing to complain about at all. This is a poor track for the CP most of the time.

You can probably blame the last second NW trend in the modeling in the last 12 hours on the intensity of the southern stream s/w... guidance has been too adamant about shearing out the upper level feature too soon as it moves into the upper-level confluence zone associated with the strengthening upper-level jet. Instead its hanging on to coherency and thus producing larger height falls in its path (and thus more ridge building downstream due to the positive moisture feedback of diabatic heating due to saturated air parcel).    

2ez4lep.gif

Hey Phil.  Dare I say that Albany is actually looking to be in a prime position now for a change.  A foot is not out of the question?  Storm track looks perfect for us.

2ez4lep.gif

That does look rather healthy...

The 12z WRF (NMM) suggests that the 850 hPa low never really develops offshore until after 12z tomorrow... leaving a very large trough axis dangling from SE Canada all to way off Cape Cod... thus the warm air floods in to the coastal states without a closed 850 hPa cyclone to create northern ageostrophic vectors further inland away from the coast. Even interior MA should change over if the 12z NMM run is correct although it will after ~75% of the precipitation has ended. 

2myotb4.png

KHPN 141425Z 07008KT 1/4SM R16/2800V4500FT SN FZFG VV002 M07/M09 A3047 RMK AO2 P0000

Not bad. 

Snow really overperforming thus far in SW CT, I'm only in 15dbz right now on the edge of northern new haven and fairfield, and its accumulating with some 25-30dbz not too far away. If we can somehow get 2-4" of snow hopefully that can keep snow totals decent with early changeover coming from SW to NE by 10pm.  Meteorologist from my station says SN+ in Norwalk I'll be driving down there soon should be fun.. 

Hey Phil.  Dare I say that Albany is actually looking to be in a prime position now for a change.  A foot is not out of the question?  Storm track looks perfect for us.

Shh you will jinx us ;)

The key will be the 00-06z period... where the best frontogenesis goes right over us (and actually over CT, RI, MA and most of the coastal states). This will the period where we could be cranking out 1-2" per hour snowfall rates at times. Afterwards we fight both the dry slot aloft (moisture become shallow and outside of the snow growth temperature range) and the warming profile (although we just barely stay below freezing in the entire column in ALB). The latter fact won't matter when we only have low level vertical velocities generating precipitation in a shallow column that is outside of the snow growth zone, so expect to see more sleet/freezing rain in the 09-12z period even in ALB. 

Snow really overperforming thus far in SW CT, I'm only in 15dbz right now on the edge of northern new haven and fairfield, and its accumulating with some 25-30dbz not too far away. If we can somehow get 2-4" of snow hopefully that can keep snow totals decent with early changeover coming from SW to NE by 10pm.  Meteorologist from my station says SN+ in Norwalk I'll be driving down there soon should be fun.. 

we've got 1.5 inches here already...18 degrees

Archived