• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Wednesday Soaker Discussing

CT Rain

Could even argue that at one point it may have been a hurricane 250 miles south of Cape Cod but yep at landfall it was definitely Sub-Tropical with gusts to 100mph in some places so in no way is this possible storm going to be anything like that but it could be a nasty wind storm still

nobody implied elsewise

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI SE winds in 94,The original low passed along the south shore of Long Island, and made landfall near New York City on December 24.Subsequently, it moved over southeastern New York State

I only see NE winds in BOS and BDL - with a low to the south it's almost impossible to get a SE wind during the storm's peak.

If I can find it I will, but I did a paper on the 1994 storm and showing evidence of tropical characteristics (part of finishing up my degree at NC State but it wasn't in a journal or anything). I lived on Long Island during that storm and even where I was saw 60 mph gusts and driving rains.

Anyway moving on to this storm this is the GFS modeled 925 winds at 12z Wed:

GFS_3_2013112418_F66_WSPD_925_MB.png

It will be interesting to see who can get some of that to mix down. Might be fun to be at Blue Hill if you are a high wind enthusiast.

I only see NE winds in BOS and BDL - with a low to the south it's almost impossible to get a SE wind during the storm's peak.

I was working at Pfizers in GON that night thought I remembered a switch to SE around 2 am with a surge coming up the Thames at the same time. Could be wrong but really tough to get surge up there with NE winds, East I can see,

If I can find it I will, but I did a paper on the 1994 storm and showing evidence of tropical characteristics (part of finishing up my degree at NC State but it wasn't in a journal or anything). I lived on Long Island during that storm and even where I was saw 60 mph gusts and driving rains.

Anyway moving on to this storm this is the GFS modeled 925 winds at 12z Wed:

GFS_3_2013112418_F66_WSPD_925_MB.png

It will be interesting to see who can get some of that to mix down. Might be fun to be at Blue Hill if you are a high wind enthusiast.

I was doing work for the NWS and URI ground truth for Doppler Radar back then, had use of some sweet equipment, my gust of 74 in Ashaway RI is part of the official record.

Torch, total torch to powdah freak

Winter Storm Watch Pickles. It's all about the backside now. It's going to rain, a lot. But this has good upslope response written all over it on NW winds, CAA, plenty (and I mean plenty) of low-level moisture (that'll happen after 1.5" of rain), and now the duration is the tricky part. Storm will be slowing down as it moves north, and if the mid-levels develop nicely...deep cyclonic WNW flow is going to do some snowy things on Thanksgiving.

This looks like a well mixed atmosphere with the CAA at all levels, so Froude numbers would probably be 1<...you could get upslope in Randolph with that fast flow.

There is still a huge amount of uncertainty with this system, as expressed looking at the 18z GFS ensembles (below, which are typically under dispersive). The spread in primary low tracks range from Cape Cod, MA to Montreal, Canada. Moreover, the shortwave digging into the great lakes by 60-72 hours is originating from a large region of shear vorticity which is often very poorly modeled when the feature is strung out over a longwave ridge. Expect a few more substantial shifts before the models lock on to an optimal solution. 

gfs-ens_lowlocs_us_7.png

Hey, we know this guy.  :)

Out this way, I think we can really pin our interest on three things:

1) How badly we put a dart in the dry spell

2) Whether we eek out any back end snow

3) How strong will the NW winds be after the storm passes

My take:

1) A big dart--that's a sh*tload of rain

2) we'll have flakes but the ground will be too warm and wet for any whitening

3) Not as strong or long-lived as yesterday

11.9/-2

Archived