Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figured as much, thanks. Might just head to Jay Thursday night as I feel some wind holds may be in store Thursday and haven't toured all season. Enjoy everyone!

If you aren't deciding until tomorrow, def keep checking in...small shift could be huge for S VT and keep them more snow.

Making the trek to SR tomorrow pre storm for Thuesfay skiing. Only issue is the winds likely impacting opeations on Thursday. Friday the better ski day ?

Thursday is probably going to be like 0-5F with 50mph winds on the mountain. :lol:

Yeah Friday will def be better.

Sort of a random question for anybody with kids...or anybody who is more knowledgeable with this subject.  I'm thinking of next winter for letting my son at least get the feel of putting skis on. He'll be just turning 2 in December. Is this too young? I'd love to go to a place like Wachusett or maybe Nashoba to teach him, but would be pointless if it's too young. Plus Dad could use some time to get his ski legs back..lol.

I started when I was 2, but I've heard some thoughts recently that 4-5 is a better time to start.  In year one and two Wachusett might as well be Whistler, it's basically ski to the bunny rabbit on a nearly flat slope.  If he's very good at walking and showing signs of being an athlete then I suppose it's good to get him comfortable with the idea of having boards strapped to his feet but keep expectations in check.  You generally do that fairly well though :)

If you aren't deciding until tomorrow, def keep checking in...small shift could be huge for S VT and keep them more snow.

Yeah I really want to do Stratton this weekend but they seem to really be on the border. Regardless I'm going to drive up so if I have to keep on driving I will.

My local bus trip is going to mt snow this weekend which sucks as its prearranged. Any much further north isn't really doable as a day bus trip from Long Island anyway.

Sort of a random question for anybody with kids...or anybody who is more knowledgeable with this subject. I'm thinking of next winter for letting my son at least get the feel of putting skis on. He'll be just turning 2 in December. Is this too young? I'd love to go to a place like Wachusett or maybe Nashoba to teach him, but would be pointless if it's too young. Plus Dad could use some time to get his ski legs back..lol.

My kids got started at 3, and honestly, it was a bit early...

It is my experience teaching not only my kids, but as an instructor that they really don't have the balance, strength, or stamina until about 5 or 6. You will find that they don't really progress past a certain point until their muscles are more developed.... Of course, ymmv, but unless you want to only ski with them for an hour or so at a whack and then have a hot cocoa break, then I'd wait.

Whatever you choose, DO NOT put them on a leash! Leashes are for dogs only....

I started when I was 2, but I've heard some thoughts recently that 4-5 is a better time to start.  In year one and two Wachusett might as well be Whistler, it's basically ski to the bunny rabbit on a nearly flat slope.  If he's very good at walking and showing signs of being an athlete then I suppose it's good to get him comfortable with the idea of having boards strapped to his feet but keep expectations in check.  You generally do that fairly well though :)

I learned when I was 3 and know a few parents who have started their kids at 3. Bryce will probably be leaving you in the dust by the age of 6... their skills take off really fast after a certain point.

I learned when I was 3 and know a few parents who have started their kids at 3. Bryce will probably be leaving you in the dust by the age of 6... their skills take off really fast after a certain point.

I always wished I had learnd a bit younger...but I still first put skis on at age 9 and the development was quick. I wonder how long the learning curve would be as an adult? I feel like it would be longer.

I couldn't make it down snowshed on Killington without falling the first few days...by age 11 two years later, I was skiing trails like Cascade, Double Dipper, and Conclusion (at the time they were rated black diamonds, but now rated double diamonds...who knew?). I remember seeing a kid who must have been like 7 or 8 skiing one of those trails...better than I was. :lol:

I always wished I had learnd a bit younger...but I still first put skis on at age 9 and the development was quick. I wonder how long the learning curve would be as an adult? I feel like it would be longer.

I couldn't make it down snowshed on Killington without falling the first few days...by age 11 two years later, I was skiing trails like Cascade, Double Dipper, and Conclusion (at the time they were rated black diamonds, but now rated double diamonds...who knew?). I remember seeing a kid who must have been like 7 or 8 skiing one of those trails...better than I was. :lol:

The learning curve is definitely faster for kids than adults. I think a low center or gravity and a more fearless attitude is probably the difference. 

Heading to Gunstock this week for the races. Never been there and have received great feedback from the NE crew over the years, so any tips or insights would be appreciated.

On the topic of kids, mine are 12,10,8 and started at 6,5 and 3.  I agree with the comment about starting them young and quick learning curve. All are now amazing skiers, all mountain, racing and freestyle.  The oldest is a top racer and has a good shot at States and Easterns next year. When we joined the program at our mountain the idea was about learning to ski and very little interest in racing, until our oldest jumped into the gates one day and ran a better line than the 14's training and a coach grabbed us for a chat.

No doubt one of the greatest gifts we could have ever given our kids and not just about the capability to ski most anything but the experiences and friendships they have made along the way. So many lessons in life that will help them in the future have been learned on the mountain. love it.

One thing is for sure.......TOS, time on snow, is very important!

We started both our kids at 4, which worked out well, although our son was a little skeptical of the whole thing until he turned 5 last year, after which he was hooked.. There are tons of stories of folks that have great success earlier, so it varies a lot from kid to kid.  I didn't start until I was 11, but I don't think it really hampered my development (from the perspective of becoming an accomplished recreational skier).  From day one, I was very focused on form; keeping a quiet upper body always perpendicular to the fall line, keeping hands in front and planting properly, keeping a high edge angle throughout the turn to maximize carving.  After a couple of years, I switched focus to moguls (trees came much later, but there is a ton of mogul/tree crossover).  Obviously, I couldn't do it all right away, but, I feel like I had caught up with my peers within a year.

In contrast, my kids (5 and 9) are not nearly as focused on technique.  I try to give some instruction, but mostly they just want to follow me.  I see that they're progressing naturally, and most importantly, having a blast.  I'm not in any big hurry to interfere with technical talk if they're not receptive to it yet.

My daughter will need new skis for next season.  I'm considering getting her something wider with a bit of early rise to make skiing in ungroomed snow easier.

Planning to ski Friday at Killington or MRG, which should be great.

I'm also thinking of coming back up for Sunday and Monday.  I see a bit of a thaw with rain/snow showers in the forecast for Saturday before the next front.  How much damage do we expect to surface conditions?

So how did the mountains do? Looks like killington on north got crushed. My worry is the southern vt mountains mt snow and Stratton. It appears they missed the storm at least given the snow total maps. It's possible the higher elevations helped

I just read mt snow got an ice storm which is absolutely the worst possible out come. Looks like southern vt is out for the rest of the season

So how did the mountains do? Looks like killington on north got crushed. My worry is the southern vt mountains mt snow and Stratton. It appears they missed the storm at least given the snow total maps. It's possible the higher elevations helped

I just read mt snow got an ice storm which is absolutely the worst possible out come. Looks like southern vt is out for the rest of the season

Yeah they had it tough there with the ice. Though I'm sure they will be fine once everything softens up again on Saturday. They also should have a couple shots at more snow.

Looks like places like Okemo made out well though...with minimal taint. A little further north around Killington they got crushed.

Yeah they had it tough there with the ice. Though I'm sure they will be fine once everything softens up again on Saturday. They also should have a couple shots at more snow.

Looks like places like Okemo made out well though...with minimal taint. A little further north around Killington they got crushed.

Yeah I just read all the reports.

Mt snow ice

Stratton ice with some snow 4"

Okemo 10-12"

Killington 24" plus

You can really see the boundary there as 850s killed southern vt

Ginxy, you are going to have some epic conditions when you arrive on Monday....hopefully St. Patties can give you a refresher even if the bulk if south...or if not, the 19th.

Pretty good crowd out there now for a Thursday a March....the storm brought people out today. I noticed yesterday on the webcam it was pretty dead there. :lol:

la_jpg_1394710556.jpg

Ginxy, you are going to have some epic conditions when you arrive on Monday....hopefully St. Patties can give you a refresher even if the bulk if south...or if not, the 19th.

Pretty good crowd out there now for a Thursday a March....the storm brought people out today. I noticed yesterday on the webcam it was pretty dead there. :lol:

la_jpg_1394710556.jpg

What's you feeling for sensible weather in the Central Greens on saturday? It looks like there will be a bit of pre-frontal precipitation with low pressure passing through Quebec. Question is will it be enough to be of consequence and will it warm up enough to be rain showers?

What's you feeling for sensible weather in the Central Greens on saturday? It looks like there will be a bit of pre-frontal precipitation with low pressure passing through Quebec. Question is will it be enough to be of consequence and will it warm up enough to be rain showers?

It doesn't look like much prefrontal...there's actually a bit of post-frontal upslope in the mountains during a downslope dandy type day on Saturday. Could be a day where its like 30-35 with occasional snow showers in VT mountains while its 45-50 on the CP down our way on a downslope W wind. Temps prob dropping during the later afternoon though.

la_jpg_1394710556.jpg

Will not suck

Archived