Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My exact thoughts...how is that side of the mountain? Never been.

Mt. Ellen is an excellent ski area, just happens to be immediately surrounded by two slightly more excellent ski areas.  But they've got it all, steep bumps (Upper FIS), narrow expert only terrain ( Black Diamond), backcountry (off Exterminator and the Long Trail), and a slew of fast lifts and nice cruisers.

Thinking I'll start over there, take the Slide Brook chair to Sugarbush south just before lunch and head up to Paradise which should keep beautiful stashes all day long.  And even though Castlerock double spun today, you can bet that Rumble woods is still ripe for the poaching.

Mt. Ellen is an excellent ski area, just happens to be immediately surrounded by two slightly more excellent ski areas. But they've got it all, steep bumps (Upper FIS), narrow expert only terrain ( Black Diamond), backcountry (off Exterminator and the Long Trail), and a slew of fast lifts and nice cruisers.

Thinking I'll start over there, take the Slide Brook chair to Sugarbush south just before lunch and head up to Paradise which should keep beautiful stashes all day long. And even though Castlerock double spun today, you can bet that Rumble woods is still ripe for the poaching.

Go you pow ho you

Mt. Ellen is an excellent ski area, just happens to be immediately surrounded by two slightly more excellent ski areas.  But they've got it all, steep bumps (Upper FIS), narrow expert only terrain ( Black Diamond), backcountry (off Exterminator and the Long Trail), and a slew of fast lifts and nice cruisers.

Thinking I'll start over there, take the Slide Brook chair to Sugarbush south just before lunch and head up to Paradise which should keep beautiful stashes all day long.  And even though Castlerock double spun today, you can bet that Rumble woods is still ripe for the poaching.

Paradise is one of my favorite trails in VT. Skiing at MRG for the first time tomorrow.  I'm guessing it will make a good impression.  Considering Pico with the family on Sun/Mon.  I've never skied Pico before either, but have heard good things and they seem to be a great value.

I was in various woods off castlerock this afternoon and there is plenty of fresh snow to be had.

I'm heading to mt Ellen first thing tomorrow, but staying there all day. I can see where u want to get untouched at mt Ellen first thing, but if it was me, I'd hit south first thing, do paradise woods then castlerock, then ski through slidebrook and take the shuttle to mt Ellen midday.

My exact thoughts...how is that side of the mountain? Never been.

Mt Ellen skis much narrower than Lincoln peak. It is as not spread out. One peak instead of 3. That being said there is excellent tree skiing over there, arguably better than lp. And there is generally no one there. However tomorrow, given that it was closed today, I have a feeling everyone is headed there.

Mt Ellen skis much narrower than Lincoln peak. It is as not spread out. One peak instead of 3. That being said there is excellent tree skiing over there, arguably better than lp. And there is generally no one there. However tomorrow, given that it was closed today, I have a feeling everyone is headed there.

kind of reminds me of fishing,every one thinking they have a secret spot,think about it all night, get up early only to arrive with 5 people already there

3/19 is looking a bit better for the ski areas....not as warm looking. Could be almost injection-low thingy for them.

I'm guessing you'll have pretty epic conditions at SR Ginxy, esp if the St. Patty's day system at least gives a scraper up there and then more refresher on 3/19.

Saturdays weather looks questionable for skiing with high winds and mixed light precipitation. I am heading up to the Killigton/Pico area early on saturday, but may head further north to Middlebury/Sugarbush.

Front is through predawn Saturday...so I think you'll be fine in terms of mixed precip...you won't get wall to wall sunshine, but snow showers on the mountain are fine, maybe low enough down below 1000 feet there could be a few drops mixed in. Most of VT mountains will be getting snow showers on Saturday.

It def will be on the windy side though.

Front is through predawn Saturday...so I think you'll be fine in terms of mixed precip...you won't get wall to wall sunshine, but snow showers on the mountain are fine, maybe low enough down below 1000 feet there could be a few drops mixed in. Most of VT mountains will be getting snow showers on Saturday.

It def will be on the windy side though.

I was thinking about skiing at Burke, but they are most definately in a downslope location and might have the best chance at mixed precipitation. In any case at least it will be warm early on even if it is windy.

I was thinking about skiing at Burke, but they are most definately in a downslope location and might have the best chance at mixed precipitation. In any case at least it will be warm early on even if it is windy.

Its def gonna be warm..esp at the bases. Prob the type of day where the wind at the bases are much lower and it feels like spring with temps in the mid 30s or even a bit warmer, but once you get on the lift and start climbing, you have to zip the coat up all the way to the top with much stronger winds and temps in the 20s at the top.

Classic high lapse rate day.

Its def gonna be warm..esp at the bases. Prob the type of day where the wind at the bases are much lower and it feels like spring with temps in the mid 30s or even a bit warmer, but once you get on the lift and start climbing, you have to zip the coat up all the way to the top with much stronger winds and temps in the 20s at the top.

Classic high lapse rate day.

Killington seems like the best bet to stay all snow with the majority of the skiing taking place between 2,500 - 4,000', but I am worried about crowds and skiing with 10,000 other folks. Perhaps I'll ski at Killington and then head to Pico if things get out of control.

Pretty much every ski area is going to be mobbed this weekend, especially Saturday.

You'd have to be living under a rock to not know that NNE got a big snowstorm, and there are a lot of folks looking for that last fun weekend. And it's been cold so they haven't moved on to gardening yet in the big cities...it's going to be cold Sun-Wed so might as well go skiing if it's still winter.

Pretty epic out there today. No other way to describe it. Everything was awesome. Groomers, woods, bumps, didn't matter. Warmed up early and I had to delayering.

There may be a lot of people tomorrow, but everybody will be all over, woods are in play, so it won't feel crowded. Or at least I'll be in there.

Pretty epic out there today. No other way to describe it. Everything was awesome. Groomers, woods, bumps, didn't matter. Warmed up early and I had to delayering.

There may be a lot of people tomorrow, but everybody will be all over, woods are in play, so it won't feel crowded. Or at least I'll be in there.

Yup, it was absolutely fantastic.  I ended up staying at Mt. Ellen all day long, spectacular conditions.  The top skied great, especially in that 1 or 2 hour window of blue sky in the morning.  Got into the woods to the right of the summit chair for first tracks in epic wind blown powder.  Later on we made several skates over to the Inverness area... had a blast skiing in the woods and the trail in the chop, air on every turn.

post-992-0-01884100-1394831069_thumb.png

Yup, it was absolutely fantastic. I ended up staying at Mt. Ellen all day long, spectacular conditions. The top skied great, especially in that 1 or 2 hour window of blue sky in the morning. Got into the woods to the right of the summit chair for first tracks in epic wind blown powder. Later on we made several skates over to the Inverness area... had a blast skiing in the woods and the trail in the chop, air on every turn.

20140314_sb1.png

20140314_sb2.png

wow

Another awesome day out there... snow seems to be stabilizing some.

Lots of pockets were sliding though and although it was no real danger where we were, I wouldn't have wanted to be on any of the chutes in the Notch or up on the Mansfield ridge dropping into anything steep and wide open where a slide would have more consequences.

10003529_10101830237930380_1882166329_n.

1939569_10101830237955330_837936100_n.jp

Was a sweet day out though...

The traverses in the woods were like tunnels...hard to tell in this picture but this was like entering a hole in the snow and forest to traverse to the next line between the pine trees and the 6 foot snowpack.

It looked and felt like skiing out west.

IMG_1627_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1631_edited-2.jpg

Even the groomers were freakin' sweet today...true packed powder that you can only get after a major snowstorm.

IMG_1655_edited-2.jpg

The backcountry is really starting to fill in.  Someone looks to have done a ski cut up there, going back and forth across the chute but no avie activity seen up here which is good.

IMG_1662_edited-1.jpg

Still some powder stashes out there, late afternoon after the clouds rolled in.

IMG_1668_edited-2.jpg

Archived