Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 3k? What's the avg at this stage? I can't imagine it at much higher.

Yeah its now above average snow depth... ironically, we haven't hit the average "peak" depth which is 88".  This was found out by FamousInternetSkiers.com last season in an article...everyone assumes that the peak is the green shading highest point.  But that's just the average date at which it hits its highest point.  If you take all years and run the numbers, the average peak depth is actually 88", but since the dates it hits that point are so scattered, it doesn't show up that way on the graph; if that makes any sense.  Either way, I think we can hit 88" with this pattern.

January was when we hit rock bottom, lol...that was brutal around like January 15th.  But it is amazing how it changes around...still the actual snowfall is slightly below normal (mostly from missed upslope, which doesn't affect depth as much), but the depths are up there.  Even at the base there's three feet on the ground.

SR has plenty of vertical....its no Killington or Sugarloaf, but you can get 1400-1600 feet of vertical on runs there all day on pretty nice terrain...the 2300 vertical can only be done by taking multiple lifts...but few mountains actually have over 2k of vertical on their single lifts.

Again aside from just a select few like Sugarloaf, Killington...maybe Smugs, Sugarbush, and Stowe.

SR has plenty of vertical....its no Killington or Sugarloaf, but you can get 1400-1600 feet of vertical on runs there all day on pretty nice terrain...the 2300 vertical can only be done by taking multiple lifts...but few mountains actually have over 2k of vertical on their single lifts.

Again aside from just a select few like Sugarloaf, Killington...maybe Smugs, Sugarbush, and Stowe.

Yeah at Stowe you only need to ride two lifts if you are an expert skier or someone set on racking up vertical, the Four Runner Quad or the Gondola. Both get you over 2,000 verts in one shot, and in 7-10 minutes rides.

Killington is close, I'm not sure what their K1 gondola is but I think it's under 2,000. Though I know you can on their Skyship if they have both lengths of that gondola open.

Whiteface Gondola clears like 2,500ft in one shot. And the Cannon tram must be over 2kft too. Sugarbush North I think has a chair that goes over 2,000 verts, though I think the Super Bravo at South may be a little less.

The one thing that always takes me by surprise is going out west to areas that have less vertical...like a lot of Lake Tahoe areas max out around 2,000ft vertical, and most of their chairlifts are like 1,500ft. Same in Utah at like Solitude, Brighton, and even Alta has less vertical than Stowe. Of course the terrain is wide open bowls, chutes, etc and snowfall larger, but the runs are shorter, haha.

longest vertical we did was 1909ft. Moguls for those who like um0318140711a.jpg

Does SR face southeast? Probably would be good to soften the snow up a bit.

8 peaks with SE exposures here and there,surface softened to silk yesterday. White heat is the warm side, Jordon being the cold, 4-5 feet in the woods there. This is my ski pole in the woods at the lowest South Ridge area 3 feet to the base

0317141449.jpg

Yesterday was awesome...bluebird and buried.  Same today it looks like.  The Greens are back to their standing as powder playground of the east.

View of 2,000+ verts in one pitch.

IMG_1824_edited-2.jpg

Drop it from the ridge like we did yesterday and its a solid half-mile of vertical.

IMG_1832_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1836_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1843_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1853_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1859_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1868_edited-2.jpg

Getting rowdy.

IMG_1851_edited-2.jpg

longest vertical we did was 1909ft. Moguls for those who like um

Those bumps look awesome...give it a 45 degree day with full sunshine and those bumps would be perfect.  Steep, mashed spring snow to just slam those suckers.

You always pick a great time to go on a ski vacation, ginxy.

Those bumps look awesome...give it a 45 degree day with full sunshine and those bumps would be perfect. Steep, mashed spring snow to just slam those suckers.

You always pick a great time to go on a ski vacation, ginxy.

Stowe looks sick, the Wed system should help the forest types here. Yea 27th straight year 3rd week in March, in between Vacation kids weeks.

PF are you ever in those pics or are they random people?

I'm always the photographer...they are all friends. I'm rarely in photos, haha. I've always enjoyed the photography side, and since I was probably 6-years old have been staring at photos in ski magazines, wishing I could create those images, rather than ski in them. But I am pretty proficient at skiing too ;)

Wendesday night is looking better and better on guidance...it has ramped up a bit. Could be a 6" Pine Punisher.

That one looks really good for Ginxy. I'm worried about some warmer air in the mid levels working in here, along with lighter moisture, though there's some NW flow precip pattern behind it. Ginxy should get a nice dense snowfall out of that. ECM looked good there.

That one looks really good for Ginxy. I'm worried about some warmer air in the mid levels working in here, along with lighter moisture, though there's some NW flow precip pattern behind it. Ginxy should get a nice dense snowfall out of that. ECM looked good there.

Yeah almost every model is jackpotting SR area on that one...good CAD combined with nice late influx of moisture from Atlantic...though I suspect you'll do fine in it too and not mix unless maybe its one of those things where it starts a drop or two at lower elevations and goes to steady paste when it ramps up a bit. Euro really cooled things off last night. It even starts off interior SNE with snow.

Steve, while I love the updates and the pics, stop posting AND GET OUT THERE AND SKI!

Ok maybe I'm just really jealous.

9 am opening today,literaly ski on, getting dressed now after breakfast. The lifts technically close at 4 but we caught a 415 then we hiked up to a spot we know saluted ULLR then got back. Excellent cell service everywhere unlike The Beast.

I'm always the photographer...they are all friends. I'm rarely in photos, haha. I've always enjoyed the photography side, and since I was probably 6-years old have been staring at photos in ski magazines, wishing I could create those images, rather than ski in them. But I am pretty proficient at skiing too ;)

You should do a book

Yeah its now above average snow depth... ironically, we haven't hit the average "peak" depth which is 88".  This was found out by FamousInternetSkiers.com last season in an article...everyone assumes that the peak is the green shading highest point.  But that's just the average date at which it hits its highest point.  If you take all years and run the numbers, the average peak depth is actually 88", but since the dates it hits that point are so scattered, it doesn't show up that way on the graph; if that makes any sense.  Either way, I think we can hit 88" with this pattern.

January was when we hit rock bottom, lol...that was brutal around like January 15th.  But it is amazing how it changes around...still the actual snowfall is slightly below normal (mostly from missed upslope, which doesn't affect depth as much), but the depths are up there.  Even at the base there's three feet on the ground.

attachicon.gifgendateplot.php3.png

Why does the graph show "0" on the about the 8th and 15th of March?

Hitman - Nice vids. First one looked like there was only 3 other people on the mountain, and right near the base.  Glades (second video) always freak me out.  I never got into that type of skiing for fear of the wrapping myself around some birch.  The video probably makes you look like you're going faster than you are.

Freak - Awesome, awesome photos as usual.

These ones fail: Sugarloaf's biggest is 1750' on the Superquad.  Sugarbush you need to ride 2 lifts.  

Killington's skyeship is around 2600' but it's flat compared to the others.  Wildcat quad and Cannon tram both exceed 2k vertical.  Smuggs Madonna has 2150', Stowe has 2 lifts that qualify. Jay's tram is a bit over as well.  Missing any?

These ones fail: Sugarloaf's biggest is 1750' on the Superquad.  Sugarbush you need to ride 2 lifts.  

Killington's skyeship is around 2600' but it's flat compared to the others.  Wildcat quad and Cannon tram both exceed 2k vertical.  Smuggs Madonna has 2150', Stowe has 2 lifts that qualify. Jay's tram is a bit over as well.  Missing any?

I should have remembered Cannon...I skied there in the past, and the terrain is awesome.

That mountain is a pure skier's mountain...they don't really have any inclination to invest in the "resort" atmosphere. :lol:

I'm surprised Sugarloaf doesn't have a single lift over 2k...the mountain is huge. Though 1750 isn't exactly weak.

Archived