joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice PF, wow what great deep deep winters ski day and week. A+ ski week. Need a breather.

Yeah this winter is redeeming itself for January very quickly here...last week we got a 8-inch surprise snow and whatever happened last night up here was insane.  It was the classic 2-4" forecast turns into 1-2" per hour all night on the mountain.  Just raging blizzard when I got up there this morning in the pre-dawn darkness.

Funny thing is, its all related to the same storm that smoked you yesterday.

I skied at Killington today with my son and it was a great day all in all with mid-winter powder/packed powder on 100% of the trails. The snow never stopped falling all day long, not heavy enough to accumulate much except around Killington peak, where about 1-2" of new snow made for nice skiing. Temperature at 9:00am was 28F and 30F when we stopped for the day.

Yeah this winter is redeeming itself for January very quickly here...last week we got a 8-inch surprise snow and whatever happened last night up here was insane. It was the classic 2-4" forecast turns into 1-2" per hour all night on the mountain. Just raging blizzard when I got up there this morning in the pre-dawn darkness.

Funny thing is, its all related to the same storm that smoked you yesterday.

next nine days look sick

Was at Wildcat today.  Snow was great above 3k', crusty where ungroomed below.  Should have gotten in on that VT upslope though.

Quick shaky video of blowing snow at the summit.  Wasn't bad for wind elsewhere.

I liked the haircut on this race start

37.jpg

52.jpg

56.jpg

Area skied: Killington Vermont

Date skied: March 21st from 9:00am - 3:00pm

Surface conditions: packed powder, powder, windblown

Weather: light snow, sun, wind, temperature between 22-30F

I skied Killington yesterday with my son as I had the day off from work and he had a teacher development day at school. We started the day at Rams Head skiing corduroy on Header and Swirl. Caper had skier packed powder as we made our way to Snowdon.

Chute was groomed with about 4" of powder on top and a lot of fun to ski. We took the Snowdon Quad back up and skied Killink to East Fall. This run had a mix of soft powder areas mixed in with hardpack underneath.

We took the Canyon Quad to High Traverse and skied Pipe Dream which was the worst run of the day with windblown snow and bare spots where the high wind had scoured away the snow cover. Bear Trax and Bear Cub skied much better with silky smooth packed powder surfaces.

We skied Devil's fiddle which had thin cover in a lot of spots, but was otherwise fun to ski with soft packed powder moguls. Bear Claw and Dreamaker where also primarily packed powder with a bit of hardpacked snow on the steeper section of Dreamaker.

Devils Fiddle:

DF_zpse82bf2bb.jpg

We skied all the way down Great Eastern from the top of the Sky Peak Express and the trail was 95% packed powder, except for the last section below the bridge over East Mountain Road, where the snow got a bit sticky.

Off Skye Peak we skied Great Eastern to Cruise Control and then took the Northbrook Quad up for a windy run down Snowshed and a similar run down Idler to the tunnel at Rams Head.

Killington Peak and Superstar from the Idler Trail:

KP_zps65085235.jpg

We finished the day with a run down Squeeze Play Glade which had deep cover, but had a thin crust on the untracked snow close to the bottom of the run.

Squeeze Play Glade:

SQP_zps01e649fe.jpg

Yesterday was another sweet powder day...this month has been one powder blur of deep turns.  3 weeks totalling 6 feet of snowfall with no thaw has led to "as good as it gets" conditions.

IMG_2027_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2050_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2059_edited-2.jpg

Even the cruiser trails are just soft powdery snow surfaces.

IMG_2065_edited-2.jpg

Upslope snow clouds dissapating. 

IMG_2074_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2077_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2080_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2097_edited-2.jpg

Sunday River was epic this weekend. Everything was open and even the natural snow trails were mostly powder...some of the powder did start "grab" a bit...esp the lower half of the trails since the snow was kind of dense int hat storm a couple days before I got there, but certainly no complaints for March 22-23.

I maybe encountered 2 or 3 icy patches the whole weekend....in spots where the wind scoured it. Certainly not the norm you expect in March where you get more melts and refreezes....it was excellent.

I posted this pic in the snow depth thread...I climbed down underneath some playset where the snow hadn't accumulated and it was waist deep around me (keep in mind that Megan tok this pic from the 2nd floor so it actually gives the impression the snow is less deep than it is) :lol: This was about 20 minutes south of SR where we stayed...tons of snow mobilers were there.

Mainesnow_3_23.png

Place: Campton Mountain

Date: March 22, 23

Conditions: Packed powder, powder.

Cost: $10 per person, per day

Skied the hill in my back yard. Conditions were the best of the season. Even did some skiing in the trees. There was still about 10" of powder on top of a crust. Pack is about 30" deep. Waterville Valley closes on April 6th. I think we have a chance of staying open as late or even later than they will on nothing but natural snow.

First shot was from the lift on Saturday afternoon. post-1709-0-69865700-1395664156_thumb.jp

Snow deep enough to jump off my deck. (Wife was not happy with her middle aged husband, but entertainment was top notch)post-1709-0-59991500-1395664162_thumb.jp

Third shot is the view from my couch in the living room. post-1709-0-76408600-1395664165_thumb.jp

Nice ORH.  Pretty epic end of the winter in NNE on the whole, especially after track/pace things were one through Dec, Jan, and early Feb.

The snowpack gradient between PWM area and just like 25 miles northwest was pretty steep...though it really ramped up big time once you got to about Bridgton and north...and northeast over to like Paris, ME. Easily 40"+ on the ground in those spots even where elevations are frequently under 1,000 feet.

The locals were all crowing about the conditions this March at the mountain...they kept saying "this is the best conditions this late in 6 or 7 years"....I figured they were remembering 2007-2008 where there was still like 50" of snow on the ground in spots up there in late March. :lol:

Though '60-'07 was epic late, too.

The snowpack gradient between PWM area and just like 25 miles northwest was pretty steep...though it really ramped up big time once you got to about Bridgton and north...and northeast over to like Paris, ME. Easily 40"+ on the ground in those spots even where elevations are frequently under 1,000 feet.

The locals were all crowing about the conditions this March at the mountain...they kept saying "this is the best conditions this late in 6 or 7 years"....I figured they were remembering 2007-2008 where there was still like 50" of snow on the ground in spots up there in late March. :lol:

Though '60-'07 was epic late, too.

glad you had a good time,how much did you get to explore? I measured 53 inches in North Peak woods at around 1750 feet

glad you had a good time,how much did you get to explore? I measured 53 inches in North Peak woods at around 1750 feet

I didn't bring a snow stick...I completely forgot, lol...though I did try and stick my ski pole down as far as I could on Ridge Run there on North Peak (you know where it just starts to wind through the woods) and I managed to get it all the way down to the handle....but I'm not sure if I hit ground or a compacted frozen layer on the bottom. The ski pole is 48" so def at least a 4 foot pack...prob a bit more like what you measured. Up around 2500 feet in the glades off Oz it looked like more...prob around 5 feet.

But even where we stayed south of SR at below 1,000 feet elevation you can see how deep the pack was from the pic I posted...though you already knew that being up in the area last week, lol.

The most notable part of the trip for me was absolutely zero corn snow or melting...despite yesterday being completely sunny in late March. It was mid winter conditions. Groomer trails quickly turned into packed powder that stayed dry. Temps were in the 20s all day and even a bit colder up near the tops. Temp actually was dropping in the afternoon after lunch which is pretty tough to do this time of year in full sun.

I was shocked by how much deeper the snowpack was in the Sunapee area than IMBY, and they are not even in the deep areas. Cannot imagine up in PF land, or in SR area

Pretty big gradient traveling from near PWN up into Oxford county. Gotta love the weenie 51" depth right near SR.

1_day_snowdepth_17.gif

I didn't bring a snow stick...I completely forgot, lol...though I did try and stick my ski pole down as far as I could on Ridge Run there on North Peak (you know where it just starts to wind through the woods) and I managed to get it all the way down to the handle....but I'm not sure if I hit ground or a compacted frozen layer on the bottom. The ski pole is 48" so def at least a 4 foot pack...prob a bit more like what you measured. Up around 2500 feet in the glades off Oz it looked like more...prob around 5 feet.

But even where we stayed south of SR at below 1,000 feet elevation you can see how deep the pack was from the pic I posted...though you already knew that being up in the area last week, lol.

The most notable part of the trip for me was absolutely zero corn snow or melting...despite yesterday being completely sunny in late March. It was mid winter conditions. Groomer trails quickly turned into packed powder that stayed dry. Temps were in the 20s all day and even a bit colder up near the tops. Temp actually was dropping in the afternoon after lunch which is pretty tough to do this time of year in full sun.

that was for me pure heaven, love ridge run,talk about weenie snow, god they are buried. Yea fully mid winter.

I'm possibly going to Stowe on Sunday, think the rain will hold off this weekend? I don't want to spend $98 to ski sticky mashed potatoes on a dreary day

To me, Friday looks like the problem day for warmth, and cold returns to the higher elevations for the weekend.

ouch at $98, I looked on Liftopia and you can get it for only $86 if you buy there, maybe someone here can help with a discount

Higher summits forecast from BTV

Archived