• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

I think as a consumer, I'd disagree. If some places offer better "deals" at a higher frequency, then I'm more likely to go there.

Say for example that both ski resorts have the exact same window price and fairly similar terrain, experience, etc. If one place has deals that are better, more frequent, and/or easier to find, then what place am I going to choose? Probably that one unless I am really obsessed with the other place and/or money is not an object. There's certainly an unignorable number of ski consumers to whom money is not an object...so the market can certainly tap into that money.

But then there's another large subset of consumers who are looking for high quality skiing at an affordable price. Some resorts may focus a bit more on those different subsets of consumers. The people to whom money is no object aren't concerned with "value". They are going to pay full price, not think twice, and expect to be treated to a great time. The rest are going to search for something that doesn't break our piggy banks while also getting as high quality of an experience as possible.

I mean I see what you are saying with the walk up price as "apples to apples" type comparison...but you can see how that is really only relevant for those people who do not care about the money and pay the window price. There's a lot of consumers who do not do that and are searching for deals. If one place has higher, more frequent, and convenient discounts than the other, then it certainly makes a huge difference for that group of consumers.

And again, I think some places will cater to different sets of consumers a bit more than the other...and there's certainly room to do that in the industry.

Yeah its a flawed way of looking at it, but really the only way one could compare it.  Likewise if you are paying walk-up rates anywhere, even Vail at $135 a day, you really don't care on some level.

There are other ways for deals too, like going with bus tour companies.  I'm not a big fan of buses but those are cheap, even here.  You can take one from like PVD for like $75 and it includes transportation and lift ticket. 

But yes, we are talking about different demographics...and "value" is a loaded word as that's personal to what you are looking for.  I got caught up in using it what my "resort management" courses at UVM used to teach as value...ie "how much can you get for your money"...and in resort speak that means services and quality products, but if you aren't looking for much, then that comparison doesn't really apply. 

Overall what's the most eye opening, is how many people there are in the northeast where money isn't that much of an issue.  I mean, all the folks who buy BMW's over a Toyota...Mercedes over a Honda.  People who are buying 500,000-750,000 dollar homes in the suburbs, etc.  To those folks, lift tickets are just something to buy and not think about. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah its a flawed way of looking at it, but really the only way one could compare it.  Likewise if you are paying walk-up rates anywhere, even Vail at $135 a day, you really don't care on some level.

There are other ways for deals too, like going with bus tour companies.  I'm not a big fan of buses but those are cheap, even here.  You can take one from like PVD for like $75 and it includes transportation and lift ticket. 

But yes, we are talking about different demographics...and "value" is a loaded word as that's personal to what you are looking for.  I got caught up in using it what my "resort management" courses at UVM used to teach as value...ie "how much can you get for your money"...and in resort speak that means services and quality products, but if you aren't looking for much, then that comparison doesn't really apply. 

Overall what's the most eye opening, is how many people there are in the northeast where money isn't that much of an issue.  I mean, all the folks who buy BMW's over a Toyota...Mercedes over a Honda.  People who are buying 500,000-750,000 dollar homes in the suburbs, etc.  To those folks, lift tickets are just something to buy and not think about. 

Yeah "Value" is basically an irrelevant term to people who don't care what they pay for lift tickets.They want the best mountain or best experience and don't care what they pay for it. So it might not be the best value, but they don't care if its the best experience they can buy. They'll pay $80 for a filet mignon steak instead of $24 for a NY Strip steak even if the latter is an exponentially better "value".

Places like Vail are probably not focusing the vast majority of their efforts toward families on a budget. :lol:

I am a fan of the bus trips I must admit. A place in raynham called crossed sabers ( ski place) runs buses out of there just about every weekend. they pretty much go to Sunday river and Killington and a few other places.

Its 75 bucks. Can't beat that deal. With weekend lift prices what they are, that price in itself is a steal. Not to mention you don't have to drive so your saving 40-50$ on gas at least as well.

Its a pretty long day though. Leave at about 4 am and don't get back until 9 or 10, but for the price its worth it

Guys talking about prices... Yeah, sucks that skiing is as expensive as it is. While the junkies can snub thier noses at the guys who only ski in pristine conditions, I can kinda understand it, at least from a price perspective.

That's why I do what I do. 40 or so hours of my time gets me and my 2 kids passes at the best place to ski in Massachusetts. It's 30 minutes away.

Guys talking about prices... Yeah, sucks that skiing is as expensive as it is. While the junkies can snub thier noses at the guys who only ski in pristine conditions, I can kinda understand it, at least from a price perspective.

That's why I do what I do. 40 or so hours of my time gets me and my 2 kids passes at the best place to ski in Massachusetts. It's 30 minutes away.

Back when I was single and younger, I cared less about the conditions than now because I could also get out more on a whim when prices are lower (like low volume weekdays after busy holiday periods)....and when you pay lower prices, you don't mind imperfection. Esp with shorter lift lines, etc.

Now its tougher...trying to plan around work schedules, Megan's schedule, etc...it leaves you with mostly weekends to get up north...which of course means more $$. If I'm spending more, then I will certainly be pickier. One reason I picked late March this year was that it was cheaper, the lines much shorter, and it helped that the pattern looked great going into mid-late March this year. So those factors made for almost a perfect ski weekend at reasonable cost.

I'll def be scouring for deals though from the get-go next year. There are some good ones to be had. Hopefully the snow cooperates. :lol:

I actually am really tempted to get out again this year. If all goes well, might make a trip the first weekend in April.

I am a fan of the bus trips I must admit. A place in raynham called crossed sabers ( ski place) runs buses out of there just about every weekend. they pretty much go to Sunday river and Killington and a few other places.

Its 75 bucks. Can't beat that deal. With weekend lift prices what they are, that price in itself is a steal. Not to mention you don't have to drive so your saving 40-50$ on gas at least as well.

Its a pretty long day though. Leave at about 4 am and don't get back until 9 or 10, but for the price its worth it

Yeah... like you said $75 and that's the same price I've heard on some buses coming here, too.  So someone else drives while you sleep, and you get gas plus lift ticket for less than the price of a walk-up lift ticket.  I heard from one bus company guy that they buy tickets from ski areas for like $30-35, due to the bulk buy, so that's how they can pull that off on a Saturday and still make money at $75 a person.

That's a steal...especially when you consider what some folks are paying in gas if they drive 3-4 hours each way in a pick-up truck or something else getting 14 mpg, haha.

Yeah... like you said $75 and that's the same price I've heard on some buses coming here, too. So someone else drives while you sleep, and you get gas plus lift ticket for less than the price of a walk-up lift ticket. I heard from one bus company guy that they buy tickets from ski areas for like $30-35, due to the bulk buy, so that's how they can pull that off on a Saturday and still make money at $75 a person.

That's a steal...especially when you consider what some folks are paying in gas if they drive 3-4 hours each way in a pick-up truck or something else getting 14 mpg, haha.

Exactly haha. The gas is the big thing. With gas being $3.50-ish a gallon, Driving back and forth to Sunday river or something is going to cost you a small fortune, not to mention you are doing it all in 1 day.

With weekend lift prices, and gas, just for a day trip its going to cost you in excess of 150 bucks at least.

You really can't go wrong lol. Oddly enough I don't know too many people who utilize this service.

I think the biggest factor in determining where/when I ski is the kid issue

Back in the day I could head up to Sugarloaf, Okemo, Kmart, Loon, etc on basically a whim.  I even got to do a week at Whistler/BC a million years ago.

Much different now. Fortunately, they are getting old enough/skilled enough that we have started to look beyond Wachusett.  Sadly, they do not earn their keep yet, so we need to spring for their tickets.

Exactly haha. The gas is the big thing. With gas being $3.50-ish a gallon, Driving back and forth to Sunday river or something is going to cost you a small fortune, not to mention you are doing it all in 1 day.

With weekend lift prices, and gas, just for a day trip its going to cost you in excess of 150 bucks at least.

You really can't go wrong lol. Oddly enough I don't know too many people who utilize this service.

Its good for single and young people. But its an obscenely long day. The busses go slow and you have no control over your own schedule. It all depends what 3 or 4 hours of your time is worth. It used to not be worth much to me, lol....but now its worth something.

Those def sound like great deals as long as you can stomach the extra hours it involves.

Or 33mpg FTW. :lol:

My first trip to another mountain with my kids was Okemo on April fools day several years ago... Of course, I set the clocks forward after they went to bed, and packed the car. sent them out to wait for the bus while it was just getting light (yeah, kids... It's just overcast head on out, don't want to miss school...). After 10th minutes I went out to the car, fired it up and told them to get in, we're going skiing....

Wasn't THAT crowded, and it sure beat taking the kids to the mount snow drunkfest on 3/17.

Back then it was 3 non-perishables, and you'd get a free ticket. It's changed a little over the years, and I'm not sure if theyre doing it yhis year or not...

Honestly I will ski anything at any price and still have fun, lots of times this year I read about all the grumbling of not perfect conditions. I will say this again, been skiing since I was 10,47 years,still have not had a bad day of skiing, just had to say it, $100 bucks, 15 bucks, Sugarloaf  to Yawgoo Valley, on the snow not on the couch.

Well thank God we had a good winter. Last year was pretty good, but it stared terribly.

I personally taught 4 little ones how to ski this year, and I'm mostly proud of that, and the fact that every one of them can't wait to come up to Uncle Markie's cabin next winter. :thumbsup:

I want to come Unc, please

Gonna be close. I hope it stays snow up in those areas from SR over to N VT....but it could get ugly for a time. Hopefully we trend it just a fraction colder between now and verification.

Yup.  I think the character of the season might finally be changing regardless.  The mountains up there still have an absolute ton of snow, but it seems like it's going to get decidedly more springlike soon after really staying winter like right though yesterday.

Putting this morning's talk aside, MRG was really great yesterday.  Blue skies, no wind (stunner),  warm but below freezing, deep packed powder base with a lot of untracked very light snow in the woods.  Most all of the countless natural features fully in play.  No lines.  So glad to get one more day like that in.  Soon we move to the very enjoyable cornfest, beach on snow, reggae blaring atmosphere.  It's all good really.

post-992-0-92283900-1396041316_thumb.jpg

Nice Radarman... yeah the past week or two have been memorable to say the least.

I'm sure its the same at MRG, but man its so much fun to have everything in play...all that awesome terrain and sick powder.  Its true that this area rivals a lot of spots out west when its "in".

1175068_10203521238102585_862459104_n.jp

I concur though that yesterday was awesome...bluebird, awesome packed powder on the trails and powder in the woods.  No wind and "warm" temperatures in the 20s. 

10007031_10101839642259030_1122771959_n.

This morning we "stole" a few hours of powder skiing with a fresh 3" of dense (but not wet until say 10am) snow.  8am-10am was awesome skiing as no one was here and it was just like any other powder morning.

1959781_10101840148669180_1573591033_n.j

Lurker here.  Watching the foreceast closely.. May be Heading up PF's way Sunday.... would love a cement day... better than thaw/freeze warm to mid 30s crap where it never really warms enough to make the bumps anythinig less than "technical" as MRG would call it.

Its good for single and young people. But its an obscenely long day. The busses go slow and you have no control over your own schedule. It all depends what 3 or 4 hours of your time is worth. It used to not be worth much to me, lol....but now its worth something.

Those def sound like great deals as long as you can stomach the extra hours it involves.

Or 33mpg FTW. :lol:

thats the only thing. you are at the mercy of the bus driver and the speed of the bus lol. now that i am in a serious relationship, and have school and work all the time, it usually isnt worth it, and i dont have the time pretty much. 

Its really no different than a normal ski trip. its just all the skiing and driving is condensed into one day lol.

but as you said, if you can stomach the bus ride, its a sweet deal

Lurker here.  Watching the foreceast closely.. May be Heading up PF's way Sunday.... would love a cement day... better than thaw/freeze warm to mid 30s crap where it never really warms enough to make the bumps anythinig less than "technical" as MRG would call it.

You may need to head a little further north... at this point I'd feel more confident in Jay Peak having the cement than here.  Its awfully marginal aloft around Mount Mansfield.  That extra county north may be the difference in this one...although we'll have to see what the models tonight and tomorrow morning do.

thats the only thing. you are at the mercy of the bus driver and the speed of the bus lol. now that i am in a serious relationship, and have school and work all the time, it usually isnt worth it, and i dont have the time pretty much. 

Its really no different than a normal ski trip. its just all the skiing and driving is condensed into one day lol.

but as you said, if you can stomach the bus ride, its a sweet deal

Yeah I know someone who takes them from PVD and he gets to the bus at like 4:30am and then gets home at like 9pm.  Going to Stowe from PVD is one helluva day trip, lol. 

But I agree with Will...the deal is pretty sweet, but I like to have control over my own schedule.  Like if you get tired of skiing at 2pm, you can just leave instead of waiting till 4:30pm for the bus to leave...and honestly, if you are in a relationship, you'd probably just rather drive with your significant other and enjoy the day out together, instead of enjoying it with 50 friends you've never met before haha.

Yeah I know someone who takes them from PVD and he gets to the bus at like 4:30am and then gets home at like 9pm.  Going to Stowe from PVD is one helluva day trip, lol. 

But I agree with Will...the deal is pretty sweet, but I like to have control over my own schedule.  Like if you get tired of skiing at 2pm, you can just leave instead of waiting till 4:30pm for the bus to leave...and honestly, if you are in a relationship, you'd probably just rather drive with your significant other and enjoy the day out together, instead of enjoying it with 50 friends you've never met before haha.

yeah the mix of people on the bus is pretty predictable lol. its just like different groups of friends with a couple of sporty couples lol. i took my gilfriend skiing with me two years ago, and it will never happen again. She shredded up her knee on the last run of the day. she says she will never do it again lol

yeah the mix of people on the bus is pretty predictable lol. its just like different groups of friends with a couple of sporty couples lol. i took my gilfriend skiing with me two years ago, and it will never happen again. She shredded up her knee on the last run of the day. she says she will never do it again lol

Wow, you are screwed now if you like skiing. :lol:

Well assumming you are still with that same girl.

Well lets just say this morning will be a weee bit different in terms of conditions than the previous 4 weeks. What a great run it was though of epic conditions. Its springtime...the good old "firm in the morning, softer in the afternoon" cycle looks to be starting up.

so is sugarloaf my best bet for some POW tomorrow?

That sounds about right...maybe Whiteface in the Adirondacks? It just looks warm aloft even in the Sunday River neighborhood but Sugarloaf is a bit NW. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

They might get a good front ender and then a pellet-fest at Sunday River....it looks really cold in that 900mb region there. But that region of Maine is so good for CAD...even in the mid-levels, that I wouldn't be shocked if they hold onto snow much longer.

Archived