Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As expected, MRG was fantastic yesterday.  I wouldn't choose it every time over Stowe/Sugarbush, but it's a great option, especially after a big storm.

Still trying to decide weather to head up to the Killington area for tomorrow and Monday.  I'm seeing that temps are in the mid to upper 30s currently with some scattered precip.  How likely are the warmer temps today to affect surface conditions after the cooldown tonight?  I don't really have a good sense of precisely how warm/wet it needs to get to make the snow seize up.

I hit Bolton for night skiing and like everywhere else the conditions were great. Even Spillway (a usually pretty icy), was good for rooster tails of powder with every turn.  Here is an Instagram shot as the sun was going down:

10001566_10101771300965579_1603512820_n.

As expected, MRG was fantastic yesterday.  I wouldn't choose it every time over Stowe/Sugarbush, but it's a great option, especially after a big storm.

Still trying to decide weather to head up to the Killington area for tomorrow and Monday.  I'm seeing that temps are in the mid to upper 30s currently with some scattered precip.  How likely are the warmer temps today to affect surface conditions after the cooldown tonight?  I don't really have a good sense of precisely how warm/wet it needs to get to make the snow seize up.

Snow definitely got soft this morning on the lower mountain...sun came out and it spiked to 40F.  Now the clouds have moved in and its starting to snow.  Looks like we've avoided rain, but I'm curious to see how the surface shakes out.  The upper half of the mountain should remain dry and chalky consistency (we are pretty far north though, no idea about further south), but below 2,500ft is getting sticky as the fresh storm snow is warming up for the first time.

We are forecast to get 1-3" though by morning which can sort of act to diffuse any slight crust, or at least soak up residual surface moisture.

Well any concern about conditions are going out the window up here... mountain has been getting pounded.

Mansfield/Smugglers Notch are right in the firehose band of moisture where RT 108 kisses that zig-zag county border, and there was 3" down at the top as of 4pm.

March_15c.gif

Web cam at 5:20pm still showing dumpage.

march_15summit.jpg

And this was from the base of the Gondola at around 3pm.

1898261_10101830894454700_1182045401_n.j

539225_10151908789297382_176398471_n.jpg

Well any concern about conditions are going out the window up here... mountain has been getting pounded.

Mansfield/Smugglers Notch are right in the firehose band of moisture where RT 108 kisses that zig-zag county border, and there was 3" down at the top as of 4pm.

March_15c.gif

Web cam at 5:20pm still showing dumpage.

march_15summit.jpg

And this was from the base of the Gondola at around 3pm.

1898261_10101830894454700_1182045401_n.j

539225_10151908789297382_176398471_n.jpg

Deep winter rolls on haha. Awesome pics over the last few days

I skied Killington today with my son and the mountain had wide swings in weather and snow conditions. The day started out sunny and warm with the temp at 34F. By 10am dark clouds moved in with an all out blizzard at Killington peak. We got in a nice powder run on Pipe Dream with about 2-3" of new snow. Snow conditions where good above 3,000' with packed powder in the Glades area, off the Snowdon Poma and close to Killington Peak. Lower elevation trails had wet packed sticky snow and we finished our day by skiing back to our car at Skyeship Base and snow transitioned to rain as we descended to 1,000'.

Crowds where really bad at Bear Mountain and we waited 1/2 hour in line for the Skye Peak Express, which broke down for 15 minutes. Most other lift where ski on access all day.

WaWa extended their season by a week

Could pay off for them if we can get one of these late season threats to pay off.

Looking forward to SR this weekend...couple chances of decent snow up there this week. Looks like they have every single trail open now after the big storm last week.

Hope so! NWS has mostly "rain or snow" in the grids... do we think it's more likely snow than rain?

Could pay off for them if we can get one of these late season threats to pay off.

Looking forward to SR this weekend...couple chances of decent snow up there this week. Looks like they have every single trail open now after the big storm last week.

Berkshire East could have a 20' base and will still close March 31. : (

Insurance policy I'm guessing?

You guess right!

Was there on Saturday, and some trails were quite thin, if they torch for s few more days they may be in serious trouble. Played in the woods though,band whilethat was thin too, if you stayed off the beaten path you were fine.

Sooo jealous.

Me too...today is going to be epic up there.

I know I'm going later this week, but I'm jealous for right now, lol. I'm hoping that those next two events remain snow for SR...I think they will, but that first one gets kind of close. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal if the first one tainted since its not a lot of qpf....but any extra snow is always a great help.

The 2nd event looks a bit more substantial...a solid moderate event.

I may have to bring the face guard and neck sock for next Sunday though...that looks like a cold airmass behind the Saturday storm.

not bad at all,no wind, bluebird

Enjoy dude, I know you look forward to this all winter.

Its perfect up here, too.  Temps are below normal (its currently around zero up top and 10F at the base) but there is not a puff of wind even up high, and the March sun just feels strong. 

Its the time of thing where its so cold, but yet there's snow and ice melting off the black-top at single digit temps, lol.  The views of MWN are also excellent today and that's a ways away.

The low-humidity, March sunshine, and calm wind is making it feel much warmer than the ambient temperature says...either that or I've just completely gotten used to it.  A 50-degree day is going to be shorts and shirtless tanning type weather. 

Me too...today is going to be epic up there.

I know I'm going later this week, but I'm jealous for right now, lol. I'm hoping that those next two events remain snow for SR...I think they will, but that first one gets kind of close. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal if the first one tainted since its not a lot of qpf....but any extra snow is always a great help.

The 2nd event looks a bit more substantial...a solid moderate event.

I may have to bring the face guard and neck sock for next Sunday though...that looks like a cold airmass behind the Saturday storm.

Full face and totally mid winter but fast furious, got the tracker app on 32 miles so far,top speed 47, ski on no wait at any lift

0317141101.jpg

Its perfect up here, too.  Temps are below normal (its currently around zero up top and 10F at the base) but there is not a puff of wind even up high, and the March sun just feels strong. 

Its the time of thing where its so cold, but yet there's snow and ice melting off the black-top at single digit temps, lol.  The views of MWN are also excellent today and that's a ways away.

The low-humidity, March sunshine, and calm wind is making it feel much warmer than the ambient temperature says...either that or I've just completely gotten used to it.  A 50-degree day is going to be shorts and shirtless tanning type weather. 

The low wind is by far the biggest factor when combined with March sun....I'm betting that early next week when its 0F at the top in strong CAA with more clouds around, it will feel about 30 degrees colder than today even if the temps aren't that dissimilar.

Its perfect up here, too. Temps are below normal (its currently around zero up top and 10F at the base) but there is not a puff of wind even up high, and the March sun just feels strong.

Its the time of thing where its so cold, but yet there's snow and ice melting off the black-top at single digit temps, lol. The views of MWN are also excellent today and that's a ways away.

The low-humidity, March sunshine, and calm wind is making it feel much warmer than the ambient temperature says...either that or I've just completely gotten used to it. A 50-degree day is going to be shorts and shirtless tanning type weather.

yes MWN looks fantastic from here, will take a pic tomorrow, after break heading up to White Heat Obsession. Every run is stellar,even ventured in the woods,3-5 feet easy

The low wind is by far the biggest factor when combined with March sun....I'm betting that early next week when its 0F at the top in strong CAA with more clouds around, it will feel about 30 degrees colder than today even if the temps aren't that dissimilar.

its still cold when ripping but Sun is so warm. Have not looked at anything snow Wed night?

Exactly...what I've also noticed this season more (maybe because we've had such a high sample of very cold days), is how important humidity is in feeling cold.

A day like today in the single digits with low RH, no wind, and sunshine feels like it's near freezing or something. Meanwhile, a cloudy, damp 22/22 with freezing fog type day feels downright raw and cold. I've noticed it mostly because days the temperature says it should be warmer (and I spin it as being warmer than the previous day) actually ends up feeling more bitter because it's damp out.

its still cold when ripping but Sun is so warm. Have not looked at anything snow Wed night?

Yeah Wed night looks like a small refresher...maybe 2-4/3-5 type deal up there. NAM says 6-8 but its the NAM...mountain is obviously in a favorable spot so they might pick up a nice little lolli.

Archived