joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow was VERY good today at the beast. I was expecting fast frozen granular, it turned out to be really edgeable and chalky.

Was hoping for this storm not to whiff so the kids could have the day off and I could take them up north. That will have to wait. My 2 kids and myself for $100 at sugarbush can't be beat... Would love to introduce them to stowe but need a good bargain atm. Also need a snow day to correspond with one of my days off....

Also wanted to freshen things up at the beast for whoever is coming on tuesday. I know the where, just not the who and when. Obviously Steve, tb, and Diane. Who else, and when are you meeting up?

Snow was VERY good today at the beast. I was expecting fast frozen granular, it turned out to be really edgeable and chalky.

Was hoping for this storm not to whiff so the kids could have the day off and I could take them up north. That will have to wait. My 2 kids and myself for $100 at sugarbush can't be beat... Would love to introduce them to stowe but need a good bargain atm. Also need a snow day to correspond with one of my days off....

Also wanted to freshen things up at the beast for whoever is coming on tuesday. I know the where, just not the who and when. Obviously Steve, tb, and Diane. Who else, and when are you meeting up?

first chair Tuesday

i ahven't  been since the new lodge opened...so not sure what to expect, just gonna wander around when i get there, i guess...i'm actually picking up a buddy in Brimfield...he's not a weather weenie, so he's prob gonna think we are all crazy...

gonna try to get there before 9am, but i'm not a morning person...lol!!! hopefully they accept my DD-214 and i can get the military rate of $25 :)

Yes Sarducci's.

I would stay at hill top inn Again great deal. Large room, comfy bed, large flat screen , nice eggs for breakfast and a indoor pool (that i declined) ill take that for 80$ any day.

Looks like a 3-6 for northern spine . Nice!

About an inch or so here

Not a great rep locally. We had my son's birthday party at the pool a few years ago and my wife's purse was stolen out of the locker room.

Oh wow I just looked that up. I am definitely a noob here LOL. Tuesday is in fact "town meeting day" which is something you don't see in many other places.

My town doesn't have the traditional town meeting and I'm not sure about Winooski. For anyone interested in municipal affairs it's an interesting tradition. It can be at times great and at other times infuriating. In some towns budgets and elections are done from the floor while in others issues are decided at the polls like any other election. Sorry for the OT skiers.

We're still skiing in what seems like mid-Jan conditions for all of New England with these temps.

Nothing spring like about this...best snowpack of the season with trees and backcountry skiable right to the road at 1,500ft. Snow depth up here is 30" at 1,500ft (and you can walk on the lower two feet) with 60" OTG up high. A good 2.5-5 feet which makes for decent woods skiing.

Some years we hit this level in January (or even December like 2007-2008), others it's the end of February. Overall while I'm tired of the cold, it's nice to get a few weeks of good exploring-level base depths to really be able to wander around out there.

Hoping for some great conditions at Sunday River 3/21-3/23.

Get a nice 12"+ storm in the region before then. Pattern looks favorable and the lack of any warmth should keep bases in very good shape.

I have often found the 2nd half of March skiing to be one of the better kept secrets of great skiing in Northern New England. People feel 55F in the cities with snowpack melting or already melted so they assume the skiing is degraded....but you can have some of the deepest bases and best skiing of the year up north in latter March...and without the long lines of Jan/Feb of course.

Hoping for some great conditions at Sunday River 3/21-3/23.

Get a nice 12"+ storm in the region before then. Pattern looks favorable and the lack of any warmth should keep bases in very good shape.

I have often found the 2nd half of March skiing to be one of the better kept secrets of great skiing in Northern New England. People feel 55F in the cities with snowpack melting or already melted so they assume the skiing is degraded....but you can have some of the deepest bases and best skiing of the year up north in latter March...and without the long lines of Jan/Feb of course.

yes yes yes

Is April 6th closing day or will they consider extending a week? They rarely do...

Yep the 6th will be the final day regardless. Starting next week they'll be closing at 8pm Mon-Thur then 10pm on Fri-Sun. Crowds are diminishing and the ski schools will be all done after this week. Did you see the new trail map? They added 5 more trails to it without cutting down a branch. 27 trails total. lol

Oh there is plenty of time for that one big one, hopefully 3 17

Yep, I'd be surprised if Newry ME gets away without a solid hit (10"+) between now and 3/20. The pattern is looking very nice. As long as we avoid those cutters (and I think we will), there's mostly just upside to this pattern in NNE. Its either cold/snowy...or just pretty cold to maintain bases. I don't see much shot at warmups or cutters in this pattern outside of the occasional March 40F sunny day with -4C 850 temps which of course doesn't do much damage at all to bases.

Archived