joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about a trip to Stratton tomorrow. Heavy, heavy POW. 

Seems like 8-10" from today, but a couple more overnight as well, radar looking pretty decent.  Should be really good.

Gonna hit B'east tomorrow night for $10 night skiing. Hoping for some bumps.

That's a great deal and I might see you there.

Magic was closed today and opening tomorrow.  Probably one of the better days of the year to be there, but I caution everyone to bring your rock skis if you tend to hear the siren calling in the woods.  The fact that there was some density in this stuff helps, but it's gonna be thin in there.

Svt NH Maine getting crushed,

Here was J.Spin's ski area update this afternoon for snowfall:

For Vermont ski areas that provided P.M. storm total updates, they’re listed below north to south.  With the forecast, I would have thought there would be a notable disparity between the totals at the northern and southern resorts, but that doesn’t seem to be the case yet.  We’ll have to see how it settles out when the totals come in tomorrow morning.

Jay Peak: 9”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 8”

Killington: 8”

Okemo: 5.5”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 7”

Stratton: 9”

Mount Snow: 11”

It's interesting that the snow stake isn't showing an increase in the rate...IE, you're not losing ground but not really making it up either, just keep the normal trendline after a miserable start

Exactly...it has started snowing over the last two weeks, but with weekly totals in the 10-16 inch range it's not enough to really gain ground. This is a snowy mountain and why we need to clear like 18" of snowfall per week just to stay with average. What most people think of as a "snowy pattern" may still only turn out to be average or less up here. We really need a couple 30-inch weeks to try to gain some more serious ground on climo snowfall and depth.

Powderfreak I'm tellin ya, some that say ...you'll be fine ...dont have a grasp of ave climo at 3k on Mansfield (snow wise) . 15 inches /week is below normal ...while in sne its a record pace for a month. I think its just difficult for some to sympathize lol and or comprehend how much falls up high.

I posted something that a member copied to the general disco thread (that don s posts in) it was from a met Bill Nichols not sure what AFD area he works in ...but you should read it . May teleconnector to snowy times for you wrt "ave". I'd like to know your thoughts .

Skied the B'east tonight. Good snow conditions. Absolute mob scene. Parking lot was a free for all. 10 minute line to buy a ticket. Tons of people.

That was the busiest I've ever seen it, literally every spot in the lot was full.  Despite some chairlift issues it was a good night to be skiing with some chopped up powder still around here and there on the sides.

Last night we picked up another 3" at 3,000ft and the skiing was quite sublime today...truly the best conditions of the season right now.  For the first time this season I've recorded 20" in a 7 day period at 3,000ft.  So we may have gained a couple inches this week to climo, haha.  This actually should be a fairly standard week in many winters, but not for winter 2013-2014 which saw 50% less than normal in December and January.  Anyway, we are enjoying it while we have it and man is there a good vibe in town right now.  I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a busy day at the resort.  There's really no reason not to go skiing right now.  Its not brutally cold and the snow is excellent.

This morning, when the partly cloudy forecast turned into 3" of snow.  The upslope machine has been dormant a lot of the season, but every once in a while gives these little reminders that its still there.

1796633_10151847151542382_1064433469_n.j

1509863_10101803287873510_1803955076_n.j

1486628_10151847254812382_1160801108_n.j

1601578_10151847253697382_651964613_n.jp

love all the pics, i've only been skiing 3 times so far...twice at WaWa and once at Pat's Peak...Pickle keeps trying to get me to do Midnight Madness at Crotched, i may try it out one of these days ;)

It's fun if you like to stay up late.   Do you mean 3 times ever or this season?

At Mount Snow this weekend. The mountain is in great shape. Nice soft bumps on Plummet and Jaws with just a bit of avoidable thin cover. Woods are a bit thin, but skiable. The main mountain is nice and soft outside of the highest traffic areas.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archived