joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are my everyday gloves... $15 a pair at the hardware store.  I skied in the ones with the elastic band around the wrist today because it was -17F out.  They are just as warm as any other glove, IMO.  Also they are extremely durable and they never cut or rip on ski edges (most gloves will fall apart at the thump and palm from getting sliced by ski edges when you carry them)... the pair on the left is from last year, and I use those on the "warmer" days (ie anything above 20F). 

Just back from ski club. Very cold night. Bought a baklava and new gloves so that helped. Snowmaking up the wazoo on Look Mom, Hitchcock and at the beginner area. Huge whales. Can't believe how much they blew in 3 days

Looked for Subdude but those orange folks all look alije

Hey Dave, my hrs are 7-10. Them guns were going like gangbusters off of A lift. There's a big masters race going on Sat on the Smith that's why they were installing the fencing and there's a big rail jam comp on Sunday hence the guns going in the park. They were moving snow all over the place after closing last night. 

Hey Dave, my hrs are 7-10. Them guns were going like gangbusters off of A lift. There's a big masters race going on Sat on the Smith that's why they were installing the fencing and there's a big rail jam comp on Sunday hence the guns going in the park. They were moving snow all over the place after closing last night. 

Good to know.

My town's school club (we aren't involved with it anymore...we use my work's club) cancelled for today due to temps. The kids are younger and freeze solid I guess.

I saw the race start on Smith. Love when they set that up.  The moguls on 10th are pretty cute...lol  little babies, but at least they are there.

We will prob head over Sat afternoon/evening for skiing and dinner

Powderfreak, I concur with you about the Kinco gloves. Years ago when I was bumping chairs, I bought a set of these of these at Sams in brattleboro. Still have them and ski in them all the time. Theyre getting kinda ratty, but they work very well. They were like $25 iirc.

They were originally recommended to me by a good friend who rides an alpine snowboard, complete with hard boots. Carves his turns beautifully, and lays the board over so much that he's literally touching the snow with his hands every turn. Any othervglove would shred under the abuse...

Not the best fashion statement, but that's not why I ski....

http://www.kinco.com/product/901/

Wasatch Weather Weenies: Who Has the Best Snow in the East?

PF, I figured I’d pass this along since you’d find it interesting, and I suspect others here at American Weather might as well.  The link above is to a thread at First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine where they are discussing an article from Wasatch Weather Weenies that talks about eastern snowfall.  Tony Crocker mentioned you and me in the comments section of the article per our lengthy discussions on the reason for the low snowfall reporting at the Mt. Mansfield co-op site.

Skiied Mount Snow yesterday with the family and was very impressed with the conditions.  I have a low tolerance for hard pack, but there was legitimately soft snow to be found over much of the mountain.  Ripcord was open and was very soft even on the steepest pitch.  Higher traffic trails developed slick spots as the day wore on, but it wasn't hard to find extensive PP on the trail edges even in the afternoon.  We were very pleased with the manageable crowds as well.

The only downside was a lack of bumps and trees, but that was expected.  While not bumped up, Commited to Rip Cord did have fun terrain rolls. 

A few inches of snow fell during the day.  I'm sure surface conditions will be very nice today, but we didn't want to subject the little ones to the brutal cold and wind expected today.

Area skied: Quechee Ski Hill, Vermont

Date skied: January 25th, 2014 from 9:00 - 1:30pm.

Surface conditions: packed powder, hardpacked, ice patches.

Weather: Overcast with light snow, 24F

I skied at Quechee Ski Hill today with my son as part of his 14th birthday present. He had never been to this area and we had free lift tickets that we got at the Bristol Ski Expo last November. This is a small semi-private place with 13 trails and a 650' vertical drop serviced by a quad chair, T-bar and handle tow.

Quadzilla:

Quadzilla_zpsdeb2a64f.jpg

Deweys Drop:
DeweysDrop_zpsac0c514a.jpg

Conditions overall where fair with packed powder over a firm, but edgable hardpacked base. There was a race going on throughout the day on Little Kings Highway / Mels Run, so the place was perhaps a bit more crowded than normal, but all lift's where ski on accessable.

Upper Mels:

UpperMels_zps0e28e1e7.jpg

All trails where opened except for Face and Maple Trail which both had snowmaking on them recently and look close to being opened.

Handle Tow and T-bar area:

PLTB_zps33a24a6a.jpg

Race:

MelsRun_zpse591929f.jpg

It started snowing around 11:00am and had accumulated about 1/2" by the time we left at 1:30pm.

The Northern Greens are back in business.

Well today did not suck.  The snow-boards had totals of 6-7" but it skied a lot deeper than that.

10755_10151827040497382_1114197094_n.jpg

1601405_10151827040767382_266123174_n.jp

1656085_10151827040432382_1754568326_n.j

1010411_10151827040722382_1019977768_n.j

1544389_10151827040567382_1279869871_n.j

1510759_10151827040252382_1208979268_n.j

9830_10151827040102382_562411149_n.jpg

Nice! The prospect of summit level wind chills to 50 below kept me home. I am regretting that a bit now.

Nice! The prospect of summit level wind chills to 50 below kept me home. I am regretting that a bit now.

It was cold to be sure...but by like 9-10am wasn't bad.  The wind seemed to die off quickly for most elevations aside from the very summit this morning.  The sun gave the illusion of warmth.  But overall, the snow was so good that we don't have the luxury this season to be picky, haha.  All the locals I knew were out there regardless of temps.  You take the good days when you get them after what the last 5 weeks have been like.

Skied B'east this afternoon. Mostly machine made packed powder and hard pack with some areas of easily avoided ice in places. I sharpened my edges with a file before heading out, glad I did.. Only snowmaking trails open. A few inches of natural in the woods at most. Was nice to get out, even though is was cold low teens.

Nice new Stowe edit from the Meathead films... I know a few of these folks.  This is why we live here, the terrain and snowfall combo is hard to match in the East.  Its an expert paradise.  That's also why we get so antsy for deep snow...so this stuff can become skiable.  Need to get the Coop stake up near 60" or above.

High Camp at Squaw Valley (elevation 8200') has received an astonishing 5" since December 8th.  Averages roughly 450".  Talk about rope, chair, tip.   Finally 1-2' is in the forecast but it's too late to cover those big rocks up barring a huge reversal that doesn't appear likely.

Webcams are u-g-l-y there.  Lot of brown.  Looks like its raining too.

Question for the Vermont ski buffs.

Here's the situation:  You are starting the morning in Albany and need to end the day in Waterbury.

You want to break up the long car ride and stop to ski for at least a few hours with your children ages 5 and 4.

The kids have skiied a few times but are still beginners.

Where would you stop?

The two  on top of my list are Mt. Snow and Killington. 

Welcome any suggestions.

Archived