• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

He asked about Stowe I will bet you that Stowe has  packed powder surfaces Saturday in its report. FYI yesterday was stellar at SR from the report I got, softened up beautifully very carvable, almost corn like, warm sunny. This kind of pattern you can score some very sweet days. 

And people I know that were there turned their tickets in by 10 because it was too icy underneath.  

Like I said the downside to always glowing reports is when people go..the conditions are marginal to crappy and then we don't believe the snow reports any longer ;)

I'll go back to what I said before, with all that ice and sleet that has fallen they need a good foot or so of natural to begin to bury it until late Spring.  Right now it's rearing it's ugly head because no natural base has really survived on top of it of consequence.

That said we may try a day trip to NH this weekend.   Sloppy skiing is better than no skiing and the winter is only so long!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And people I know that were there turned their tickets in by 10 because it was too icy underneath.  

Like I said the downside to always glowing reports is when people go..the conditions are marginal to crappy and then we don't believe the snow reports any longer ;)

I'll go back to what I said before, with all that ice and sleet that has fallen they need a good foot or so of natural to begin to bury it until late Spring.  Right now it's rearing it's ugly head because no natural base has really survived on top of it of consequence.

That said we may try a day trip to NH this weekend.   Sloppy skiing is better than no skiing and the winter is only so long!

thats why experienced skiers watch the weather and know that by noon on warm days the slopes soften and that ice turns into a very skiable surface.

I read on the Sugarloaf chat that management cut back on snowmaking and choose to paint the trails thin rather than build base depths. As a result, the skiing at Sugarloaf is on perilously thin cover.

Hopefully the mountain pulls through with snowfall in February, March and April, because if not, skiing way into April may not happen this year. If any place can cash in on late season snowfall, it's this place, so we still have penty of season yet to go.

I read on the Sugarloaf chat that management cut back on snowmaking and choose to paint the trails thin rather than build base depths. As a result, the skiing at Sugarloaf is on perilously thin cover.

Hopefully the mountain pulls through with snowfall in February, March and April, because if not, skiing way into April may not happen this year. If any place can cash in on late season snowfall, it's this place, so we still have penty of season yet to go.

I think to an extent SR did the same thing.  In the arms race to have the most "open terrain" they all spread thin vs dumping on core trails.  With mother nature throwing some monkey wrenches in we'll see how that goes.

Man, no way to spin it, but this is a distastrous season for eastern ski areas so far.   Even in 11-12, at least it was dry so any machine made snow had a chance. 

Wachusett closed today due to rain/crappy conditions. First closure since...early December?

They have been putting in a great effort with snowmaking when they can. Even last Thursday, they were blasting on some terrain, knowing the torch was coming

Wachusett closing today means I get a night off.  It's good that they're pumping out snow whenever they possibly can. Big holiday weekend coming up. 

I heard on the K chat that the rain/snow line is it 3,500' and is expected to decend during the afternoon. I also read that Killington may lose bloodshed and Ramshead.

I think its snow @ stowe above 2k.

The top cam looks stuck (old) and 1600' cam looks white a few hundred feet up the mtn ..unless its fog?tuff to tell

.http://www.stowe.com/explore/webcams/

Well at least we aren't in the Sierra.... this is a local report (mammothsnowman.com) from Mammoth Mountain... they've had 6" since December 8th.  And only 48" on the season at a place that lists an annual average of 400".

Same old story from Mammoth Mountain, we are in one of the worst droughts in recorded history up here.  

What you will find out on the hill is man made snow conditions with some nice caravable snow mixed in with some hard pack and ice patches.  Unfortunately there are also floating rocks on most of the open runs at this time.

Snowmaking is struggling to keep with our lack of snow.  Most of the snowmaking efforts have been in the main park working the half pipe for the Olympics qualifiers later this week. 

On most of the groomers it appears no snow has been made over the few nights.  Hopefully they will get the pipe done soon and they will start refreshing the open runs. Some of those runs are not going to last much longer without some help fast.  

Bottom line is unless your a hard core it would be a good idea to wait until we get some more snow into the area before you come up.   When will that happen?… at this point there is no end in sight to this drought, it could break in February or last all season long.

The Mammoth Mountain Weather Outlook:  Looks like highs in the 40s & 50s with lows in the 20s with mostly clear skies for the next 2 weeks.

Owwwwwww @ that report

I read that and cringe from a mountain operations perspective....most open runs are severely hurting and they are using most of their snowmaking capacity to build a half-pipe for an event. That is an ugly situation to be in...terrain parks and especially half-pipes take a huge amount of resources to make; the snow amounts are hard to fathom for most people and I don't think people realize how much snowmaking energy goes into something like that.

The problem is, when a mountain agrees to an event and the contracts are signed, you have to deliver. Even if it means the rest of the ski area suffers. There's usually clauses for monetary damages if a mountain can't provide for an event. Something like the X-Games or qualifier events bring publicity and money, but can be a huge hassle for the reasons Mammoth is finding out now. They would probably love to be making snow on the runs they can, especially with rocks and stuff, but have a contractual agreement to put on a half pipe competition with a half-pipe that doesn't exist right now.

I read that and cringe from a mountain operations perspective....most open runs are severely hurting and they are using most of their snowmaking capacity to build a half-pipe for an event. That is an ugly situation to be in...terrain parks and especially half-pipes take a huge amount of resources to make; the snow amounts are hard to fathom for most people and I don't think people realize how much snowmaking energy goes into something like that.

The problem is, when a mountain agrees to an event and the contracts are signed, you have to deliver. Even if it means the rest of the ski area suffers. There's usually clauses for monetary damages if a mountain can't provide for an event. Something like the X-Games or qualifier events bring publicity and money, but can be a huge hassle for the reasons Mammoth is finding out now. They would probably love to be making snow on the runs they can, especially with rocks and stuff, but have a contractual agreement to put on a half pipe competition with a half-pipe that doesn't exist right now.

. That's what happened at Killington in 11-12 with the Mt. Dew. Terrible terrible. Sadly most mountains stop making snow in two weeks or so anyway. Rental compressers get returned.

all the more reason I like SR, they were making snow in March last year. Those crews are fantastic at what they do, been around a few years and nobody transforms a MT better and quicker.

SR's commitment to snow is unparalleled at this point.  That is why almost every other mountain in NE is reporting half or less of their trails open and SR is close to 70%.

When American Ski was in their heyday and owned Killington, Snow, S'loaf and SR, then CEO Les Otten committed to making SR the flagship resort  and their reputation has held serve through the years even though ownership has changed. Back in the day I vaguely recall talk of American Ski offering to financially split the infrastructure improvements needed to blow out Route 27 and expand the Carrabbassett airport to make Sugarloaf the jewel of the east but the state of Maine vetoed that proposal. (Thankfully b/c SL is just fine the way it is)

Ironic b/c when SL was founded in the 60's the original plan had been to blow out the Bigelow range across the valley from SL and make it the "Aspen of the East".   Again, thankfully did not happen, (although it would have been epic) because imo Bigelow range is one of the best ovenight hikes E of the Rockies.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/cancelledskiareas/Maine/bigelowmtn.php

bigelow_range.png

Their is an Alpine pond that sits between "The Horns".   Gorgeous, with campsites a few hundred feet away.  They actually back pack in trout to stock the pond in the summer!

42978776_2760bd1fd8.jpg

Archived