• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Webcams painted the picture...the few cams from the resorts I checked were pretty empty today. 

Here's my take as someone who has skied heavily from about Xmas into January every year for the last 5 or 6.   The race to have the most trails/miles open between "some" of these resorts took a little toll this year on the trails already open.  IE, instead of dumping snow on a core of 40 or 45 trails they rushed to open 60 or 70 thinking/not forecasting the torches in between and the ice storm.  So as a result instead of having a 30" base of mostly manmade on some key trails it was maybe 15-20 as they fired the guns up on other trails.   When we took these hits the trails that they were building on torched and the ones that would have had 30" but only had 15" were down to dirty snow, rocks and shards of branches during the worst of days.  This wasn't rarely used or new trails this was main links that were shockingly thin or icy.   I think maybe a lesson was learned this year as the conditions suffered somewhat.  I'd rather have 50 trails deep in manmade/snow then 30 trails deep and 40 that are really dodgy just so they can say we "have the most miles open xxx"

Up until a year or two ago 25-40 trails open NYE week was the norm even in good snow years.  This year they pushed 70-80 with very little real snow.  Probably spread themselves a bit thinner hedging that the cutters wouldn't happen.

For the record we're a first chair family....usually up before the lift "opens"

What resort are you referencing for this amount of trails to be opened by Chirtmas week? Historically Killington would have between 50-75 trails opened by that point going back the last 25 years or more just to spread out the crowds.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that this week is also historically the lowest occupancy week in January at most ski areas.  So yes, its going to be pretty empty.  On Monday when it rained, if there was a day for it to be bad, that was the day.  There wouldn't be anyone there even if it was a great day.

Not many people take vacations immediately after they just had like 1-2 weeks off from work or school for the holidays.  How many families do you know that went on vacation or traveled in the prior couple weeks, and how many families do you know are traveling this week?  The first Mon-Friday period after January 1st is notoriously empty.  MLK weekend is really the next time of crowds.  Hotels in town that were 100% full for two weeks, are at 30% this week. 

This lack of visitors also plays into the part that most mountains are making snow to deepen base depths on certain trails, and aren't out there trying to resurface 40 trails in the next few days.  Visits in past seasons are generally pretty low until MLK weekend.

It's much the same after Presidents Week, when there is basically no vacation time left except for Easter and that date is very variable. I recall closing day at Saddleback in April many times over the last decade with 100% of the mountain opened, but maybe 100-200 folks out skiing/riding. Thats heartbreaking IMO.

I suppose a larger problem is the timing as well...you're not going to see the moms and pops rush to go ski in torrential rains this weekend.   Timing continues to stink.

Yeah.  Weekend business is more short-term dependent so that won't help.  Its been a good business winter so far though, so bound to have a few tough weeks.  The kicker will be how it turns around in the vicinity of MLK weekend.  That one makes or breaks January for the most part. 

But I feel like we go through this each season on here whenever there's a thaw or prolonged stretch looking less than optimal..."how will the ski areas ever survive", and yet it seems to work out.

It's much the same after Presidents Week, when there is basically no vacation time left except for Easter and that date is very variable. I recall closing day at Saddleback in April many times over the last decade with 100% of the mountain opened, but maybe 100-200 folks out skiing/riding. Thats heartbreaking IMO.

Yep.  Even with the torch and rain or ice storm prior to Xmas, the holiday period was a raging success.  People come during the vacation periods.  They spent the money to reserve the lodging and they are going to make the most of it. 

On the flip side, after the holiday periods, the ski areas are dead.  I never realized just how localized the crunch times were until I got into this industry.  My opinion was that resort towns were just "busy" from Thanksgiving to Easter.  That is not the case.  It is localized, big visit periods, mixed among generally empty periods.  People are always like, "why are there lodging and ski deals in January, even on the weekends?  Isn't this like prime time?"  No its not.  MLK is the only "prime-time" in January.  February and March are busier due to various vacation periods from President's Week, to alternative vacation periods (there are a decent amount of schools that do vacations either the week prior or the week after President's Week, too) like college spring breaks in March, private schools have breaks at all random time frames in Feb or Mar, Ontario and Quebec vacation weeks in late Feb/early March... those times of the year are much more steady in visits.  January is an interesting tourist lull. 

But then after say, mid-March, skiers and riders start falling off cliffs.  They start to move on to other things aside from the more motivated skiers.  By April, its practically a ghost town and you just sort of ride out the rest of the season, and then close down due to lack of enthusiasm rather than a lack of snow.  At that point, then us locals just start skinning and hiking it daily (skin to the top in one hour, ski down, and its better than going to the gym to ride a bike for an hour) but it is always a bittersweet time of year.  There's plenty of snow, the sun is shining with long daylight hours, its more of a beach on snow atmosphere, and you wish you could just continue to do that for another 6 weeks, haha.

LOl at my favorite ski weeks getting mentioned here, having no kids home  is a good thing now a days. Pick your spots and bomb run after run after run. sure doesn't break my heart to ski on lift after lift and to have ski trails with me and my buds only run after run. took me a while but I learned the best weeks and times. No ants equals a great day.

Spent the morning at Berkshire East shooting a "ski report" story for my station. Really, really liked the mountain! Lots of character and an easy drive. The new lodge they're building looks awesome! 

I would definitely like to get back up there when not working and enjoy the day a bit more. 

The conditions were impressive for how crappy the weather has been. 

Leaving for Stowe tomorrow afternoon and planning on Sugarbush next Thursday. 

Since I've been posting in here already, I was hoping you guys wouldn't mind reports from the MA.

I've spent the past few days at Snowshoe Mountain in WV - top elevation of 4,800 ft. (this fact surprises many that I speak with while skiing in NE) which I am currently sitting at due to the fact that this is a top-down resort. This is about as good as it gets down here, with almost 200 inches of snowfall per year and approximately 2-4 trails on the backside that run 1,500 ft. vertically. The front leaves a little to be desired but it still gets the job done.

Conditions were great for the early birds today (following the theme of recent posts in this thread). There were untouched groomers if you wanted them along with steep packed powder blacks on the backside with a little crud on top. The ice came out by the late afternoon but by then I had already gotten some great skiing in.

Temps were crazy cold yesterday. I was probably skiing in -40 WC at one point. Interesting for a few hours but definitely not something I'd like to do every day.

post-250-0-35097300-1389219974_thumb.jpg

post-250-0-64295600-1389219986_thumb.jpg

Spent the morning at Berkshire East shooting a "ski report" story for my station. Really, really liked the mountain! Lots of character and an easy drive. The new lodge they're building looks awesome! 

I would definitely like to get back up there when not working and enjoy the day a bit more. 

my favorite small Mt of all time, a true old school gem, nice and close and empty, shh though, best is midweek non holiday Mon -Thurs. We had a small GTG there last year too. enjoy your vacation. did you wave hi to MPM on the way down Rt 2, you could have grabbed some Java

Since I've been posting in here already, I was hoping you guys wouldn't mind reports from the MA.

I've spent the past few days at Snowshoe Mountain in WV - top elevation of 4,800 ft. (this fact surprises many that I speak with while skiing in NE) which I am currently sitting at due to the fact that this is a top-down resort. This is about as good as it gets down here, with almost 200 inches of snowfall per year and approximately 2-4 trails on the backside that run 1,500 ft. vertically. The front leaves a little to be desired but it still gets the job done.

Conditions were great for the early birds today (following the theme of recent posts in this thread). There were untouched groomers if you wanted them along with steep packed powder blacks on the backside with a little crud on top. The ice came out by the late afternoon but by then I had already gotten some great skiing in.

Temps were crazy cold yesterday. I was probably skiing in -40 WC at one point. Interesting for a few hours but definitely not something I'd like to do every day.

attachicon.gifIMG_0213 copy.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0217 copy.JPG

Nice pics Jake.  Kudos for getting out there in the freezer.  I really want to stay at one of those top of the mountain resorts some day... must be so cool in a big storm.

my favorite small Mt of all time, a true old school gem, nice and close and empty, shh though, best is midweek non holiday Mon -Thurs. We had a small GTG there last year too. enjoy your vacation. did you wave hi to MPM on the way down Rt 2, you could have grabbed some Java

Very quiet and yes a definite classic New England ski area. 

Will this report be posted online Ryan?

I skied for a couple of hours at the bump tonight. Very cold, my helmet is awful for that. Gotta get one if those baklava things. Anyway, pretty icy but I did a bunch if runs right after they groomed trails and those were a blast

Schools starting to run their programs including mine Thursdays. I will be mostly sitting at the home base until the kiddos get used to the way it runs

Kinda stinks since I don't get home until 8:30 or so those nights after starting at 6:30, but whatever

Wachusett was blasting on 2 trails which was sort if fun to ski thru

All the Berkshire East love on the forums this season is weird.  It's an OK 2nd tier local hill and I enjoyed it when I lived near there, yet people talk about it like it's one of the big destinations in NE.

second rate snowmaking and grooming, outdated slow lifts, no steep terrain, low snowfall for natural runs, no moguls.

All the Berkshire East love on the forums this season is weird.  It's an OK 2nd tier local hill and I enjoyed it when I lived near there, yet people talk about it like it's one of the big destinations in NE.

second rate snowmaking and grooming, outdated slow lifts, no steep terrain, low snowfal  l for natural runs, no moguls.

Snowmaking was dramatically upgraded last year and you are quite wrong about 'no steep terrain'.  It's the steepest terrain south of Magic (maaaybe a couple runs at Mt. Snow, but it's debatable) and steeper than most anywhere in NH except Cannon and possibly Wildcat.

The knock on it is the east-west running valley sucks for natural snow.  The lifts are slow, but there are never any lines, meaning you get a lot of vert.  Also, no long run outs... the lift goes up not across. 

On a rare excellent deep powder day with good base the woods can hold their head up with the best of Vermont.  Cliffs, rocks, stumps... lots of air to be had and hair raising terrain, including in the backcountry onto rt. 8a.

Most of all though it's the vibe.  It's like MRG or Magic in that respect.  A skier's crowd, laid back, always smiling, not rushed, no attitudes.  Great chairlift conversation.  Don't get me wrong I appreciate the Killington's, the Okemo's... how much money they put into the snowmaking and skiing deep into spring.  But there is a bond with the local hill full of locals that you don't get with those places.

I would ski B'East over anyplace up to twice it's ticket price pretty much. But it works for me. Not that far away from my house (an hour plus change). Lift are old/slow, but still only 10 minutes up and no lines   Parking area/walkup needs improvement. Café is really old school and somewhat dangerous (love the chili mac there)  The trails on the left side (facing up) are so enjoyable. I really love old style narrow turny stuff.

The steeps are not bad. I have not skied in the trees, nor do I plan on it

I skied for a couple of hours at the bump tonight. Very cold, my helmet is awful for that. Gotta get one if those baklava things. Anyway, pretty icy but I did a bunch if runs right after they groomed trails and those were a blast

Schools starting to run their programs including mine Thursdays. I will be mostly sitting at the home base until the kiddos get used to the way it runs

Kinda stinks since I don't get home until 8:30 or so those nights after starting at 6:30, but whatever

Wachusett was blasting on 2 trails which was sort if fun to ski thru

nice, yeah my bakalava is about 15 years old and as warm as the day I bought it.

All the Berkshire East love on the forums this season is weird. It's an OK 2nd tier local hill and I enjoyed it when I lived near there, yet people talk about it like it's one of the big destinations in NE.

second rate snowmaking and grooming, outdated slow lifts, no steep terrain, low snowfall for natural runs, no moguls.

I have never had a single bad day at the Beast probably been 75-100 times, classic small mountain skiing.

Snowmaking was dramatically upgraded last year and you are quite wrong about 'no steep terrain'. It's the steepest terrain south of Magic (maaaybe a couple runs at Mt. Snow, but it's debatable) and steeper than most anywhere in NH except Cannon and possibly Wildcat.

The knock on it is the east-west running valley sucks for natural snow. The lifts are slow, but there are never any lines, meaning you get a lot of vert. Also, no long run outs... the lift goes up not across.

On a rare excellent deep powder day with good base the woods can hold their head up with the best of Vermont. Cliffs, rocks, stumps... lots of air to be had and hair raising terrain, including in the backcountry onto rt. 8a.

Most of all though it's the vibe. It's like MRG or Magic in that respect. A skier's crowd, laid back, always smiling, not rushed, no attitudes. Great chairlift conversation. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the Killington's, the Okemo's... how much money they put into the snowmaking and skiing deep into spring. But there is a bond with the local hill full of locals that you don't get with those places.

You hit it here

I would ski B'East over anyplace up to twice it's ticket price pretty much. But it works for me. Not that far away from my house (an hour plus change). Lift are old/slow, but still only 10 minutes up and no lines Parking area/walkup needs improvement. Café is really old school and somewhat dangerous (love the chili mac there) The trails on the left side (facing up) are so enjoyable. I really love old style narrow turny stuff.

The steeps are not bad. I have not skied in the trees, nor do I plan on it

I am ready to start my season David, knee is stable enough. I will be contacting you soon after the thaw.

I have never had a single bad day at the Beast probably been 75-100 times, classic small mountain skiing.

probably only been there 20 days but me neither, I remember thinking many times while there that I was lucky to have such a nice area nearby

In easy 500+ days on snow I can count on one hand he number of bad days anywhere tho

probably only been there 20 days but me neither, I remember thinking many times while there that I was lucky to have such a nice area nearby

In easy 500+ days on snow I can count on one hand he number of bad days anywhere tho

Lol, yea a bad day of skiing pretty much in not a phrase in my language.

I was just looking through photos from past seasons...man was 2007-2008 an epic winter.  We were skiing the trees and hiking above treeline backcountry in like mid-December that year.  I've got photos from almost every day of skiing that season and judging from the photos, it looked like it snowed like 4-5 times a week that winter, lol.  8" here, 14" there, 3" followed by 5", etc. 

This was the Christmas snowpack in late December 2007...Christmas!  Mansfield had over 100" that December at the summit.

And this photo was taken in January 2nd, 2008.  Just amazing the differences between right now this season, and some past seasons that were on the other end of the spectrum.  Roughly 370 inches that 07-08 winter.

Archived