• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

I think there's a difference between more laid back skiers like myself who are fine with hitting the bar, taking a bunch of relatively easy runs interspersed with some bumps and what not and those who are hardcore and want to gun down the natural stuff and the trees all day.

I like skiing the trees but am fine without doing so. If that's you're thing and the thought of hard pack groomers/cruisers sounds awful than the current state of things up in VT is probably pretty disappointing.

Obviously not the best conditions now but I'm psyched for my trip to Stowe this weekend. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll agree to disagree on this part.

Like I said before, I've been up there when there was truly almost no natural snow, this isn't comparable. I mean, I get that the ice can suck and nobody likes a cutter, but the snow depths aren't even below average where Sunday River is.

1_day_snowdepth_17.gif

VT has been hit harder for sure, but saying its up there with the worst years is hyperbole, IMHO. It is January 6th, not February 6th.

from my experience, I have to agree with you.  it is the rare season when the woods are really skiable before MLK weekend.

I think there's a difference between more laid back skiers like myself who are fine with hitting the bar, taking a bunch of relatively easy runs interspersed with some bumps and what not and those who are hardcore and want to gun down the natural stuff and the trees all day.

I like skiing the trees but am fine without doing so. If that's you're thing and the thought of hard pack groomers/cruisers sounds awful than the current state of things up in VT is probably pretty disappointing.

Obviously not the best conditions now but I'm psyched for my trip to Stowe this weekend. 

I'm in between.  I'm bored of the groomers and want to get in the trees, badly.  But I remind myself that skiing is like pizza or sex,  when its good, it's really really good, and when its bad, its still good.

from my experience, I have to agree with you.  it is the rare season when the woods are really skiable before MLK weekend.

And they won't be ready for MLK this year at all in all likelihood barring a Leon intervention.

I might go skiing tonight just to piss people off

Wawa doesn't count, that's like blue hills on steroids but further away from the ocean and with more snow guns.

Will....it blows right now.  That's not hyperbole I just spent 5-6 days there and was there after there last "big" snow.  There's a reason why PF is freaking out and it isn't because there's a ton of snow falling.  Worse it doesn't look like much is falling over the next week or two which will put most of them below normal.  Never a good thing.

Will....it blows right now.  That's not hyperbole I just spent 5-6 days there and was there after there last "big" snow.  There's a reason why PF is freaking out and it isn't because there's a ton of snow falling.  Worse it doesn't look like much is falling over the next week or two which will put most of them below normal.  Never a good thing.

I'm pretty positive it is not up there with the worst years though.

Feb and March are typically the best ski months anyway. Jan tends to be drier and Dec snows are usually gone by Jan after cutters.

Still, the mountains are def in better shape than 2 years ago or in Jan '07

For those bemoaning my lil Bump-Next-Door, enjoy your 5 days of $$$ skiing and staying in a condo...That is uber fun but not really in my lifestyle at the moment. We chose instead to get all 4 of us season passes and I will be skiing the groomed, boring, flat hill for 6 months.

Feb and March are typically the best ski months anyway. Jan tends to be drier and Dec snows are usually gone by Jan after cutters.

Still, the mountains are def in better shape than 2 years ago or in Jan '07

For those bemoaning my lil Bump-Next-Door, enjoy your 5 days of $$$ skiing and staying in a condo...That is uber fun but not really in my lifestyle at the moment. We chose instead to get all 4 of us season passes and I will be skiing the groomed, boring, flat hill for 6 months.

Today is actually the 7 year anniversary of Wachusett closing in January for the first time. I remember they had so little snow and it was so warm, they couldn't even make snow. They had to close the mountain...never happened in January.

The bigger concern is with base building on the late season snowmaking trails, which will start in about a month. I fear that Killington may not do intensive snowmaking on Superstar if they keep having to do expensive and extensive resurfacing going forward.

You do realize it's only January 6th, right? 

If I had a hill 15 minutes away I'd definitely hit it up for a few groomers. The beers on tap at wawa also are nothing to scoff at.

The closest hill to me is B'east, which skis great especially when there is snow in the woods. But at an hour away it's hard to justify unless the conditions are really good.

I'm pretty positive it is not up there with the worst years though.

Because of snowmaking.  A 1 foot natural base wouldn't do diddly dick for most of those trails.   Kudos to these mountains for spending tens of millions on the new snow guns.  It's paying dividends again this year.

If we didn't have the icestorm things would be a lot better.  for those that haven't skied the mountains hardest hit...it's a PITA.  It takes the normal late morning scratchiness and makes it unpleasant.  I saw more people carted off the Saturday and Sunday I was up north than I ever have.   That all stopped when it snowed later Sunday into Monday.   IMO that more than the lack of snow is the problem on many trails.  once they get a few feet of real/manmade on top the trails are fine.  When it scratches down to the ice it's like a hockey rink.

Dave only kidding about Wawa...they too spent millions on snowmaking equipment and it's paying off for them too.  Good people and I'm glad it does so well.  For me the difference of a drive to wawa vs Sunapee is only about 40-50 minutes...so I head to Sunapee.  if I lived within 30 of wawa I'd be there all the time.

If we didn't have the icestorm things would be a lot better.  for those that haven't skied the mountains hardest hit...it's a PITA.  It takes the normal late morning scratchiness and makes it unpleasant.  I saw more people carted off the Saturday and Sunday I was up north than I ever have.   That all stopped when it snowed later Sunday into Monday.   IMO that more than the lack of snow is the problem on many trails.  once they get a few feet of real/manmade on top the trails are fine.  When it scratches down to the ice it's like a hockey rink.

Pretty typical SR in Dec/early January. They rock in Feb/March and into April tho...   I don't mind skiing icy trails (Wachusett's specialty) if I am alone. Doing it with the wife and kids is not as fun... too nerve wracking.

Again, we need to look at the calendar and realize that this could be a crappy season overall, or maybe the mighty Cowboy will grace us. Way too early to spike.

Are you doing another Sunday River trip later? It has been quite a while since I have skied there

exactly, and Winston is not a tree skier. The ones complaining are the tree skiers. Stowe looks like it will be in great shape. Anyone who has skied for any length of time knows the drill, thaw refreeze, icy death bumps, welcome to New England

Leon couldn't save them. They're closed and last time it took them a week or so to rebuild. It'll take the same this time. Another hit....but they'll rebound.

I could ski all day on the 80 trails and be exhausted, would not complain once. There is no better Mt in New England at recovering from NCP. That place will be fine.

To be totally honest, I freak out more for selfish personal reasons...not because the general skiing is awful.  I want to ski natural snow in the woods and on the rugged double diamond terrain.  The skiing on the groomers has been generally excellent minus a few days here and there immediately following the thaws.  But overall, the general public has been having a darn good time.  I spend a lot of time talking and chatting up folks around the ski resort, on the lifts, in the lodges, etc...always trying to get a feel for what the general attitude is out there.  Its been positive.  Skier visits have been fine, even a little above. 

My beef is my selfish personal reasons in that I am just tired of skiing groomers all the time.  If you ski once a week or something, you don't care...you're just happy to be out there and if the groomers are good, then its a good time.  I've posted a bunch of photos showing the cruising and carving being nice and good.  Its just by this time of the year, I'm looking for something more adventurous.  That's where my emotion is coming from...not that its been a terrible season from a conditions standpoint.  Its been plenty cold enough to make a lot of snow and groom it nicely inbetween the thaws, we just haven't been able to build the natural snowpack like we usually can.

To be totally honest, I freak out more for selfish personal reasons...not because the general skiing is awful. I want to ski natural snow in the woods and on the rugged double diamond terrain. The skiing on the groomers has been generally excellent minus a few days here and there immediately following the thaws. But overall, the general public has been having a darn good time. I spend a lot of time talking and chatting up folks around the ski resort, on the lifts, in the lodges, etc...always trying to get a feel for what the general attitude is out there. Its been positive. Skier visits have been fine, even a little above.

My beef is my selfish personal reasons in that I am just tired of skiing groomers all the time. If you ski once a week or something, you don't care...you're just happy to be out there and if the groomers are good, then its a good time. I've posted a bunch of photos showing the cruising and carving being nice and good. Its just by this time of the year, I'm looking for something more adventurous. That's where my emotion is coming from...not that its been a terrible season from a conditions standpoint. Its been plenty cold enough to make a lot of snow and groom it nicely inbetween the thaws, we just haven't been able to build the natural snowpack like we usually can.

your days will come, you admitted being spoiled, perhaps you should ski another Mt to appreciate exactly what you have there. Treat Ryan well

They didn't lose the trails, they were closed because of ice not bare

Correct.  Stowe lost about the same amount...with grooming and snowmaking, most of them will all be back online for Thursday.  It'll take a couple nights to work it all out, but everyone will get back up close to where they were in trail count for the upcoming weekend.  Its a safety thing and not about a snow loss thing.

Archived