• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Skiing primarily snowmaking groomers is not my idea of fun, especially paying nearly $200 for two people to do it. Obviously the conditions are getting better with snowmaking.

The conditions on the west coast are horrible with Timberline having a 30" base and Mammoth at 45" of snowfall for a season total so far.

Colorado seems to be doing quite well, I havent checked Utah.

skiing is skiing not sure where you ski but 200?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midlow, Gore is my absolute favorite resort in the east coast. They have the perfect blend of nice cruisers, seriously steep trails (albeit rather short) and what sets them apart in my opinion is their glades, they pretty much have everything from intermediate to expert level glade skiing. They also have a few old school trails that are steep and narrow with some obstacles to navigate. Just try to hit it after they have a solid base down.

Really icy after 11 or so here today at SR. Saw more people down for the count on the body board than any other trip I can remember.

Tends to happen during the holiday weeks no matter how much snow a place has... I'm a firm believer in the fact that you ski hard in the morning and get off the hill by 1pm to save yourself from the icy pinball ride that can be late afternoon during any holiday period. 

Midlow, Gore is my absolute favorite resort in the east coast. They have the perfect blend of nice cruisers, seriously steep trails (albeit rather short) and what sets them apart in my opinion is their glades, they pretty much have everything from intermediate to expert level glade skiing. They also have a few old school trails that are steep and narrow with some obstacles to navigate. Just try to hit it after they have a solid base down.

I grew up skiing Gore (it was the first place I ever held a seasons pass to), and its always got a special spot in my soul.  The mountain is surprisingly awesome for how under-the-radar it is.  If that place has good snow, it has one of the best glade networks you'll ever see...some of those glades are like 1-2 miles long.  The place excels at intermediate cruisers...long, long cruisers off the Gondola or high-speed triple (I hope they still have that triple).  Upper mountain has great steeps but they are a little on the shorter end, but still awesome terrain.

When Gore has snow and is close to 100% open, it rivals anywhere else in the east in terms of terrain.  Unfortunately it is on the SE side of the Adirondacks, so it gets downsloped on NW winds when most of the Greens get upslope, but that place gets crushed in synoptic snow events, especially with deep SE or easterly flow. 

Was very impressed by Mount Snow today. They lost tons and tons of snow on Sunday/Monday - it was hideous. Virtually no natural snow at all and even some of the manmade trails with a rock solid base were decimated. I was talking to one of the ski patrolers on the lift and he said it was one of the worst "mid season" thaws he'd ever seen. Pretty ugly.

Regardless, they have been and still are blowing snow like nuts all over the mountain. Groomers did a great job as well keeping it all skiable.

Through noon almost everything was in good shape. By afternoon it was a bit icy but they were dropping ropes and grooming new trails during the day so there were actually a couple new options. 

Crowded but if you can manage to stay away from trying to get a lift from the base to summit between 10:30 and noon you're generally in good shape. 

Mad props to Mt Snow for a great day! Made about 20 runs total between 10:00 and 3:30 - with a 90 minute beer break at lunch. 

As an aside, I was playing with that app Ski Tracks and it was really cool. Definitely need to not care that you'll end the day with no battery but it was one of the coolest skiing/gps apps I've used. Highly recommend it! 

Just spent a few hours at the bump with the family sans wife. Not bad. A bit icy but that is to be expected. Daughter is going way too fast for her ability and prefers the mid mountain trails vs the beginner terrain.

Surprisingly sparse crowds for a Friday night with good weather

No waits more than 1-2 minutes for us.

Awesome to those getting out there. Nice to hear mt. Snow bounced back.

Looking to hit cranmore/attitash or wildcat monday . Leaning toward the cat @ 830 am!

Heading to Cranmore Tuesday after the snows hopefully, before I head back to work.

I prefer Cranmore over attitash, pretty short drive from the glen Bartlett area

Heading to Cranmore Tuesday after the snows hopefully, before I head back to work.

I prefer Cranmore over attitash, pretty short drive from the glen Bartlett area

Really? I like Attitash and always thought Cranmore was a bit small. I have never skied there. I must rethink that... My wife had an aunt who was an instructor there in the 1940s

Really? I like Attitash and always thought Cranmore was a bit small. I have never skied there. I must rethink that... My wife had an aunt who was an instructor there in the 1940s

Wow throwback lol, that's pretty cool. You are right though, Cranmore is a bit smaller, I just personally think they take better care of their trails.

My family owns a condo at attitash though, so I end up skiing there quite a bit lol

Really icy after 11 or so here today at SR. Saw more people down for the count on the body board than any other trip I can remember.

Yeah this.  Hit Killington.  Superstar looked like a battlefield, corpses and gear strewn around, medics hustling casualties out of the fire. Deserters sliding down skis in hand.  

I didn't even think it was that icy, just very firm PP.  No trouble carving here, especially on the edges.  But many folks go way too fast with too little awareness.  Microcosm of life really.

The icy death bumps were hiding several inches of windblown and skied off fluff in the gullies which were a good time and nearly empty.  But looking at PFs pics I should've sucked it up and drove the extra hour to Stowe, which I considered.  Eh, lesson learned.

i was thinking about skiing somewhere other than around here this winter...i have a USMC buddy who lives in Ogden UT, who said i could stay in his guest bedroom, so i have been browsing ski resorts within an hr of his house...UT has an awesome ski bus system...$5 r/t to Powder Mtn from Ogden...i looked at the more well-known places in the Wasatch but most of the terrain is way above my abilty...i love the wide blue square groomers we have back east....but i know our blue squares are equivalent to green circles out west...Powder Mtn looks like a good match for me, on paper anyways...can get a r/t plane tix for about $400...i might give it a go in a month from now...and lift tix at powder mtn are only $65...just a tad more than WaWa and cheaper than most of the mtns here...sounds good to me :)

i was thinking about skiing somewhere other than around here this winter...i have a USMC buddy who lives in Ogden UT, who said i could stay in his guest bedroom, so i have been browsing ski resorts within an hr of his house...UT has an awesome ski bus system...$5 r/t to Powder Mtn from Ogden...i looked at the more well-known places in the Wasatch but most of the terrain is way above my abilty...i love the wide blue square groomers we have back east....but i know our blue squares are equivalent to green circles out west...Powder Mtn looks like a good match for me, on paper anyways...can get a r/t plane tix for about $400...i might give it a go in a month from now...and lift tix at powder mtn are only $65...just a tad more than WaWa and cheaper than most of the mtns here...sounds good to me :)

Alta and Snowbird should be on your list. Blue squares and such are somewhat equivalent depending on where you ski in the east. It's the stuff with double black diamonds and warning signs you need to watch out for  :stun:

They have wide open stuff too. And when it's perfect carving, the locals call that ice and go home.

Powder Mountain is fun (smaller crowds and you don't get stuck in the lodge during big storms).  You can ski off the back side and they run a shuttle up the canyon road to get you back to the resort.  Also, the cat ride is worth the extra couple of dollars.

Couple of links:

http://www.powderhounds.com/USA/Utah/PowderMountain/Ski-Resort.aspx

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowereporter/archives/article_1b8797f4-3a14-5c24-ab81-2eac47473d87.html?mode=jqm

There are plenty of cruisers at all the major resorts.  I think Solitude and Brighton are 2 gems in BCC.

Let me add that since you'll be up in Ogden, perhaps Snowbasin?  They held a lot of the skiing events there during the Olympics.

Powder Mtn is THE place to go when the snow is dumping.

i'll check out their trail map...i also tend to get a bit overwhelmed if the resort is huge and you need to take 3 plus lifts just to get to the top of one peak...

don't really know the good snow areas so i'm glad to hear Powder mtn is a great place to be for storms! maybe i'll have to keep an eye on the weather and try to plan to be there for a storm :)

Let me add that since you'll be up in Ogden, perhaps Snowbasin? They held a lot of the skiing events there during the Olympics.

Powder Mtn is THE place to go when the snow is dumping.

Powder mountain is great! They hold snow longer than any resort I've ever been to and the place doesn't attract crowds at all. We bought a ride on the snowcat for about 15 bucks (we hiked up James peak and the skiing was unbelievable) and we liked it so much that we did a full day of cat skiing a few days later.

Area skied: Berkshire East, MA

Date skied: December, 28th 2013 from 8:30am - 12:30pm

Weather: Sun and clouds, temp at 8:30am, 19F, 43F at 12:30pm

I skied at Berkshire East yesterday with my son and we used two free ticket vouchers that we got at the Cromwell Ski Expo. Despite the somewhat limited terrain opened, we did have a fun time.

When we started skiing at 8:30am it, was overcast with the temperature at 19F. Snowmaking was in progress on the upper section of Flying Cloud as well as in the tubing park.

Snowmaking on Flying Cloud:

FCS1_zps5fcc7ab8.jpg

Our first run was down a groomed Outback with stiff hardpacked snow. The second run of the day was down Mohawk to Chute. Mohawk was okay with mostly firm packed powder, but Chute was groomed ice cookies and not any fun.

Big Chief had the best snow among the intermediate offering. The upper and lower parts had the softest snow and packed powder surfaces, with the middle section being a bit slick in spots.

Big Chief:

MFC_zps2c1cd2fc.jpg

By 10:30am, thing began to warm up rapidly with full sunshine breaking out and snowmaking was shut down. Runs down Outback where fun with 100% packed powder now with warmer temperatures and alot more skier traffic.

Outback:

OB_zps7e7f7ca0.jpg

We mixed this up by skiing Outback/Snowdance and Exhibition/Danny's Run about 4 times. I also alternated by skiing Big Chief/Flying Cloud Access and the lower part of Flying Cloud.

There was an ongoing race on Competition, so we never skied that trails, but it look fairly good.

Competition:

CP_zps424ef675.jpg

By noon it was above 40F and the snow transformed from packed powder to wet packed snow, so we called it a day.

Liftlines where never longer that 5 minutes and most of the time both summit triple chairs where ski on. The parking lot was about 50% full by noon, when we headed home.

Berkshire East:

BE_zpsfcc3df1b.jpg

Attitash is just a cheap mtn.

Ski'd w my niece/nephew this am, was fun early. (Prior to 10)

Uncle has not seen them make snow all week. Cheap. They made snow after wachusett, after posting they didnt "make snow to see it melt down river" meanwhile at that time , Loon was making it hand over fist, along w Waterville, crotched. Its like stop w the f'n excuses. Your cheap, you made a decison to save money AND u are stretched THIN w alot of guns over at wildcat and too cheap to buy more, so attitash season pass holders suffer. Im gonna light up their fb page bc its annoying how cheap they are wrt snowmaking and conditions suffer.

Archived